Sudbury Wolves 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
This kid is under utilized imo. He is not a flashy dynamic player but very solid. Agree with above poster, I think he stays. I think Stillman sees his value. Having said that, any of the 99 forwards could be part of a trade.

Or released, which we've seen. For example Lane: released, whom was drafted the same year.

Last edited:

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Thanks for the feedback on SB.
Hope he has a solid year for the Wolves. Smart player, good kid.

He's a steady player, the knock on him is his skating, I hope that has gotten better. Being a 99 birth expect alot from him, at this moment doesn't appear to be a top 6 player. More of a 3rd or 4 th liner.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
If we have 3 imports right now do we have to move someone? Or would we wait until we find out if Lipanov makes Syracuse?

cub

Apr 11, 2012
I could easily see someone like Gilhula being released.

Bulitka will not be released and will slot in as the 3rd line C or LW is my guess. Was one of the top scorers on the team last year and is an outstanding PK guy. Really seems to be underrated on here because he's not a flashy player.

Gilhula won't be released, expect a decent year from him, or at worst a trade.

Wolfpak

Feb 7, 2007
Bulitka should center the Pilons. Great grit line. Every defenceman in the league will have their head on a swivel. 54.9 faceoff % for Bulitka. Tops on the team. Great penalty killer. Stays in Sudbury.

I Loveallsports

Apr 13, 2010
I could easily see someone like Gilhula being released.

Bulitka will not be released and will slot in as the 3rd line C or LW is my guess. Was one of the top scorers on the team last year and is an outstanding PK guy. Really seems to be underrated on here because he's not a flashy player.
Def Gilhula on the bubble in my opinion. He needs a VERY good camp

Reactions: justawolfan

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Def Gilhula on the bubble in my opinion. He needs a VERY good camp
IIRC Gilhula had a great camp last year and nothing came of it. He is so frustrating to me because he has the tools and everything shows flashes but it seems he just can’t grasp everything at once. I don’t know what to do with him because I think his wheels could be a great compliment for lots of guys on this team but hes been here a few years and hasn’t done much.

I Loveallsports

Apr 13, 2010
IIRC Gilhula had a great camp last year and nothing came of it. He is so frustrating to me because he has the tools and everything shows flashes but it seems he just can’t grasp everything at once. I don’t know what to do with him because I think his wheels could be a great compliment for lots of guys on this team but hes been here a few years and hasn’t done much.

Agree. Maybe third year is a charm. Find out next week

Did I just say next week? Yippee. (Calm down, remembering my post. Inner voice) lol

Hope to be there, but YOU sir plz have a full report!

That goes for ALL wolves fans as well!!:thumbu:

Reactions: cub

I Loveallsports

Apr 13, 2010
When did Valentini come on as a skilled player?

He was a little to one demensional for me. He forgot he had other players on the ice to pass too. I also think we have up to mich in that trade which I believe was a second round pick. Yep to the Knights.

Last edited:

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
He's a steady player, the knock on him is his skating, I hope that has gotten better. Being a 99 birth expect alot from him, at this moment doesn't appear to be a top 6 player. More of a 3rd or 4 th liner.

Id agree with this, saw him alot in MM. Very coachable, smart, good kid.

Reactions: cub

cub

Apr 11, 2012
I'm curious based on what. He only had 13 points, and was easily the worst defensive player on the team.

Just basing on his skill level, he can definately skate, to me he's a late bloomer, due that he was small coming into the league. I agree, his defensive ability, taking timely penalties, and hockey sense are in question. I was told that this kid looks amazing at practice but can't put it together in a game. Hopefully being his third year in the league, and some maturity he can help the team, he is also a right shot which we don't have alot of on roster. I still have some hope for him. :)

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
He was a little to one demensional for me. He forgot he had other players on the ice to pass too. I also think we have up to mich in that trade which I believe was a second round pick. Yep to the Knights.
I was curious because I thought Valentini wasn't looked at too highly before he broke out, and for a little while now I've been hoping that Gilhula could be a similar situation; undersized, with tools but lacking in certain areas. I knew the price was high and that he was selfish. I think this camp will be interesting to see who gets cut and who sticks. And of course, I'm still waiting for that elusive trade. Has our camp roster been released yet?

89bardown

Aug 8, 2018
Ontario
Wolves' training camp info:
Wolves Announce Training Camp & Ticket Details – Sudbury Wolves

I figured the Blue & White game was going to be Thursday evening due to the Friday exhibition game, but there are actually 2 games - Wednesday afternoon and Thursday morning. Don't think I've seen that in my time in Sudbury.

Tuesday August 28th
1:00PM – 2:00PM – Grey Practice
2:15PM – 3:45PM – Blue & White Scrimmage
6:45PM – 7:45PM – Blue Practice
8:00PM – 9:30PM – White vs Grey Scrimmage
Wednesday August 29th
9:00AM – 10:30AM – Grey vs Blue Scrimmage
10:30AM – 11:30AM – White Practice
12:00PM – 1:00PM – Goalie Practice
4:00PM – 6:00PM – Blue vs White Game #1
Thursday August 30th
9:00AM – 11:00AM – White vs Blue Game #2

They can't do it Thursday evening. Players without a contract who want to maintain their NCAA Eligibility must leave camp after 48 hours. Starting at 1pm on Tuesday the game would have to be done by 1pm Thursday.

howlman

Mar 9, 2004
Carson Murray Nizhnikov
Hutcheson Byfield Gilhula
Pilon Bulitka Pilon
Tabak Butler Bowie

Ross Candella
Malik Stratis
Phillips Thompson

Luukkonen

Notes/predictions:
- Not sure where Levin fits in. Trade perhaps
- Gilhula scores 20 playing RW on line with Byfield
- Baker, McConville, Serensits all battling for a spot
- Bowie and Phillips impress and make team out of camp
- Back-up goalie battle is anyone's guess
- Defence still looks rough, need to deal for veteran. Paquette or Brahaney from Fronts fits the bill
- What will happen with Lipanov? Time will tell

Reactions: hockeynorth

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Levin Byfield Nizhnikov
Pilon Murray Pilon
Carson Bulitka Gilhula
Hutcheson Baker Tabak (Tabak playing off wing)

Siau, Robinson, Mcconville, fighting for spots.

Ross Candella
Malik Stratis
Phillips Thompson

Serentis, Lavallee, Aucoin, Ribau fighting for 7 or 8th spot

Luukkonen, Frappier, I think McGrath will get moved.

Reactions: hockeynorth

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Levin Byfield Nizhnikov
Pilon Murray Pilon
Carson Bulitka Gilhula
Hutcheson Baker Tabak (Tabak playing off wing)

Siau, Robinson, Mcconville, fighting for spots.

Ross Candella
Malik Stratis
Phillips Thompson

Serentis, Lavallee, Aucoin, Ribau fighting for 7 or 8th spot

Luukkonen, Frappier, I think McGrath will get moved.
interesting you don't see Butler in there

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad