Sudbury Wolves 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
Okay sooooo the focus now turns to the defense? And maybe a few changes up front?

Tell me what do the wolves need to contend at the top of the division!

Last edited:

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Smart decision for Luukkonen report to Sudbury Ukko Pekka is promising young goalie.
But sometimes he's vulnerable in his butterfly game style and he leave room to the top half of the net

When Luukkonen has off mode he allows soft and easy goals.
His puck-handling skills and play reading needs some improvement.

Last edited:
Reactions: hockeynorth

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Smart decision for Luukkonen report to Sudbury Ukko Pekka is promising young goalie.
But sometimes he's vulnerable in his butterfly game style and he leave room to the top half of the net

Thanks for the input:) Is it just me, or does Lucky* (name pending) sound like a super McGrath, in terms of play style? Like clearly way better, but he sounds like he has many similar flaws.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Time to update the depth chart, can someone tell me if anyone here is no longer with the organization as well. Also, I'm leaving Lipanov in until we know for sure what's happening there, same for Malik. Tried my best to put these guys in the positions that I see the organization valuing them in but I put * for the forwards if they can play multiple spots for us (C or the wing they're on).

Sudbury Wolves Depth Chart

LW - C - RW

Levin* - Lipanov - Nizhnikov
Carson - Murray - Butler*
Hutcheson - Byfield - Pilon
Pilon - Bulitka* - Baker
Tabak - Tiveron* - McConville
Robinson - Siau* - Gilhula*
Gaudreau- Mazur -Bowie*
Labelle - Smith* - Biondi
McAllister - Manikis -McDougall
Strickland- Soehner - Dal Ben
Lewis

LD - RD

Candella - Stratis
Ross - Thompson
Malik - Serentis
Phillips - Beattie
Ribau - Aucoin
Stewart - Wawrow
Lavallee - Mackie
Zekelman - Mergelas

G
Luokkonen
McGrath
Bowen
Frappier
Lemaire
Weeks
Heinzie
Carvalho
Eisfield
Vendette

I feel our LW depth is a little too much, so I'd move Levin to C, thus making Tiveron a depth player instead of 4C if Lipanov isn't here (though I love Tiveron's game and think he will be an impact player for us down the line). On LW I can see McAllister and up all pushing for a spot, so camp should be fun. I actually think RW might be a weakness up front, especially if the org. views Butler as a C. We don't have many dynamic players and really it's just a lot of 13/14th forward types IMO. I think on D pairings 4 and 5 there is a lot of potential for the future, and Stewart is someone I'm going to keep tabs on this season as I can see him rising as well. Beattie, Tiveron, Labelle are all guys I really like as late round steal types, and I'm pumped to watch them at camp, and to a lesser extent Smith and McAllister. I've soured a bit on Gaudreau and McDougall after being high on them last year, and I see them being overtaken on the depth chart, maybe even by camp. I don't think our D is in too bad shape considering future potential, but tis season it's looking a little rough. Finally, we need to clear the crease, it's just too crowded for my liking. Guys on the outs (IMO): Baker, Gilhula, Bulitka (maybe, depends on camp), McConville, McGrath, Lipanov**(Import), Levin*** (if we get Grondin, I don't think we should keep him, and I'd rather clear the way and get assets), Wawrow*** (strictly depth forced). Guys to watch (IMO): Murray (duh), Byfield (see Murray and double it), Biondi, Tiveron, Beattie, Aucoin, Ross, Thompson, Butler, Weeks, Lemaire, Biondi, Smith, Labelle, Stewart, Ribau.

Reactions: cub

I Loveallsports

Apr 13, 2010

How about you tell us some positives

justawolfan

Timbertype
Sep 12, 2017
Frozen North
I think our focus now has to be on a top 3 physical defenceman.

@hockeynorth - unless things have changed drastically over the summer, there's no way Levin should occupy the centre position on this team with the talent we have.

Reactions: cub

Wolfpack25

Sep 6, 2013
Sudbury
Okay sooooo the focus now turns to the defense? And maybe a few changes up front?

Tell me what do the wolves need to contend at the top of the division!

In my opinion, the first thing they need to do if they actually want to challenge is get rid of the twins and bring in better overage players. I appreciate their effort, hard work, etc.. but you cannot contend when you are using TWO of your overage slots on checking type players.. that is just a fact. Imagine using those slots on a scoring winger and an established top 4 defenceman. Not saying getting those guys would be easy, but that is how the team gets to another level. Defence should definitely be a priority, though.

I Loveallsports

Apr 13, 2010
In my opinion, the first thing they need to do if they actually want to challenge is get rid of the twins and bring in better overage players. I appreciate their effort, hard work, etc.. but you cannot contend when you are using TWO of your overage slots on checking type players.. that is just a fact. Imagine using those slots on a scoring winger and an established top 4 defenceman. Not saying getting those guys would be easy, but that is how the team gets to another level. Defence should definitely be a priority, though.

Anytime you get a chance to upgrade your team you do it.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen & Team Finland take on Team USA at 4pm EST at the #WorldJuniorShowcase. WATCH LIVE on TSN 1/4, http://TSN.ca , the TSN App and #TSN Direct #TSNHockey

Reactions: i luvallsports

cub

Apr 11, 2012
we have goalie even though Finland lost, Ukko played great against a strong USA team, second goal on him he maybe should of had, but he played great throughout the game, especially in second period when USA out shot Finland 14-3 in second period.

We have goalie Wolves fans, he calm, big, moves well in the net.

Reactions: i luvallsports
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad