Sudbury Wolves 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 6)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cobra9850

Apr 23, 2014
Why do we avoid each and every year the most skilled and goal producing players.In the top 2 rounds we gamble on players who more than likely would have been available in rounds 4 and 5.There are high end players like Rolofs,Michaud,Del Monte,Arcuri,Srizzotti,Christopoulos that will come back to haunt us.I can understand picking Stillman but why not these other players.

Habs0101

Mar 17, 2017
I know a couple SBY fans said they’d be furious if they drafted Stillman in the first because he’s ranked around late 2nd/mid 3rd range, but Siedel thinks he’s going to SBY in round 1. Mark is the big guy in the north so you'd assume he’d be in the know around that area

Siedel is a cling on
Did nothing but chase Stillmans around like a lost dog and still couldnt get his pick correct
Didn't see where he had McCue ranked anywhere near 2nd round but London thought enough of him. McCue was clearly the smartest player on the MMAAAA team Stillman included

yalbmert25

Apr 10, 2016
Why do we avoid each and every year the most skilled and goal producing players.In the top 2 rounds we gamble on players who more than likely would have been available in rounds 4 and 5.There are high end players like Rolofs,Michaud,Del Monte,Arcuri,Srizzotti,Christopoulos that will come back to haunt us.I can understand picking Stillman but why not these other players.

I don’t know much about minor midget hockey so I won’t pretend to know who the top players are but I do like what we have drafted the last two seasons. I’ve decided to trust what Paps is trying to build. I would have liked a local kid picked in the middle rounds though. Savignac or Kavanagh would have been nice. Let’s see what these kids look like at rookie camp before we say that passing on the more difficult reports will haunt us.

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
I don’t know much about minor midget hockey so I won’t pretend to know who the top players are but I do like what we have drafted the last two seasons. I’ve decided to trust what Paps is trying to build. I would have liked a local kid picked in the middle rounds though. Savignac or Kavanagh would have been nice. Let’s see what these kids look like at rookie camp before we say that passing on the more difficult reports will haunt us.

I have no doubt 99 percent of the responces from camp will be positive.

If anyone was able to have read the S.S. article, which the H.S. speaks on what this team need to improve and he made reference to the 1st game in Ottawa where upgrading skill level and fast pace essential. From all indication, looks like they are on the right track

Reactions: WaW and cub

hockieguy

Sep 7, 2012
Ontario Canada

Many say they will not report to Sudbury.

cobra9850

Apr 23, 2014
Be careful about drinking the Koolaid.This Wolves draft could set back any hopes of having a consistent quality run for years .The players we missed out on are going to be foundation players for their respective teams.Why draft a player at 15 that is ranked 75 by Prospects pipeline when he probably would have been there with our pick at that time.You have to hit with your first 2 round picks, so go with the concensus higher rated players.The OHL is about speed,skill and excellent goaltending.Ottawa is giving us fits with their array of talent.Although our team is better skating this year it does not rival the elite teams.

Reactions: hockieguy

Voice from the North

Sep 17, 2013
Many say they will not report to Sudbury.

That is much less of a problem now then it was in the past. The only reason I can see now that some forwards wouldn’t come to Sudbury is due to a coaches kid being in front of them in the pecking order. Otherwise, there is a better ownership group, better team, coach with NHL connections, chance to play with Byfield, players treated well and they like the city....the Wolves made every change the agents wanted.

Curious to know hockieguy who do you know that didn’t want to report?

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Be careful about drinking the Koolaid.This Wolves draft could set back any hopes of having a consistent quality run for years .The players we missed out on are going to be foundation players for their respective teams.Why draft a player at 15 that is ranked 75 by Prospects pipeline when he probably would have been there with our pick at that time.You have to hit with your first 2 round picks, so go with the concensus higher rated players.The OHL is about speed,skill and excellent goaltending.Ottawa is giving us fits with their array of talent.Although our team is better skating this year it does not rival the elite teams.

I believe the focus was speed, skill, and compete level. I haven't seen these kids that we drafted, but can't go by some of these scouting lists that are out there. London went off the board many times, they took Max McCue in the second round projected to go mid rounds.

I think we got 3 solid picks by the sounds of it with McCallam, Stillman and Larmand, they all can skate, skills, and grit. Also, they can score and playmake. We took Owen Lalande second overall few years back, and according to all the scouts he was determined worthy of that pick, so far he is an average OHL Defenceman. I have faith in Papineau, I think these picks will work out.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
That is much less of a problem now then it was in the past. The only reason I can see now that some forwards wouldn’t come to Sudbury is due to a coaches kid being in front of them in the pecking order. Otherwise, there is a better ownership group, better team, coach with NHL connections, chance to play with Byfield, players treated well and they like the city....the Wolves made every change the agents wanted.

Curious to know hockieguy who do you know that didn’t want to report?

Don’t kid yourself, the wolves are among at least half of the league’s teams that have serious recruiting issues.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Really have to question this. I would trade our trade for North Bay, the Sault's, London's, among others in a heartbeat.

Why? That guy rates the wolves draft as better those you mention.
Or, are you saying you prefer those teams draft over the wolves?
I rate NB as better than the wolves. 8 picks in 5 rounds (especially first 3 from Don Mills) and Savignac in round 9 does it for me.

Last edited:

cub

Apr 11, 2012
I think our 4th to 7th picks very strong, with Anania, Robinson, Savage, Gillespie. We pick up 2 D from strong programs, and I think Gillespie that late is kind of a steal. Savage is risky pick, not sure if he will ever report.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad