Sudbury Wolves 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 6)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
It's not looking good. One-on-three's everytime we carry the puck into their zone, three-on-twos for Ottawa everytime someone carries it into ours.

Luukkonen has made some big saves today but he really should've made a play on that puck Ottawa scored their 2nd with (ie poke it away). I bet he wants that one back.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
It's not looking good. One-on-three's everytime we carry the puck into their zone, three-on-twos for Ottawa everytime someone carries it into ours.

Luukkonen has made some big saves today but he really should've made a play on that puck Ottawa scored their 2nd with (ie poke it away). I bet he wants that one back.
Yes agree. Our lack of powerplay is hurting.

justawolfan

Timbertype
Sep 12, 2017
Frozen North

Going to be a tough game for us if it remains like this. We have no forecheck and that's our strength.

Reactions: cub

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Just being exposed man. They’ve been able to solve Ukko one on one. We’re giving up a ton of odd man rushes.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
Welp. Gotta win both at home.

Another 2-on-1 goal

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Stratis causing damage with his stick today. One goal and tip to Levin face, not a good day for him:). Ottawa is good team, tough battle. Ottawa counters so quickly when least expected, but we need to play more physical, get pucks in deep, easier said than done.

Reactions: WaW

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
Stratis causing damage with his stick today. One goal and tip to Levin face, not a good day for him:). Ottawa is good team, tough battle. Ottawa counters so quickly when least expected, but we need to play more physical, get pucks in deep, easier said than done.

We're just overmatched. There way to deep and talented. If we dont win a game in this series, no reason for the wolves to hang their head. They have given us some exciting hockey this season( unexpected).

justawolfan

Timbertype
Sep 12, 2017
Frozen North
Ouch! Murray's second setup of the night with that blind pass back to defense. Ukko's been doing his best to keep us in it. They guys are working hard.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
We need the other Pilon back at home. Our only chance of staying in this series is to amp up the physical play and hate (not vicious but in a good old time hockey way). That’s where losing Serentsis really hurts. It’s going to be a good trade off just about every time coincidental penalties are assessed.

member 236327

Thank the Asian Jesus (21 Jump Street ref.), that you fools aren’t apart of the people who pick our players. Clearly the Wolves are going to be a tough team to play against in the future, with the picks they’ve made. Scratching your head on McCallum, but all had hard-ons when picking McFarland lol. The league is soft, if you have skill and are a tough player to play against, I would be happy to have you!

As far as the second round, glad they picked Stillman, it’s in the bloodlines. Much higher ranked than Folignos were, and will be a better player forsure. And Larmand likely wouldn’t have been there when he was projected.

Don’t read into the predraft ranks, if teams don’t go to tournaments where scouts are or play teams who aren’t often scouted, they aren’t going to be ranked as high.

PS- Savage just followed the Wolves on Twitter.... they wouldn’t pick him if they didn’t think they had a chance.

Dmo out

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Thank the Asian Jesus (21 Jump Street ref.), that you fools aren’t apart of the people who pick our players. Clearly the Wolves are going to be a tough team to play against in the future, with the picks they’ve made. Scratching your head on McCallum, but all had hard-ons when picking McFarland lol. The league is soft, if you have skill and are a tough player to play against, I would be happy to have you!

As far as the second round, glad they picked Stillman, it’s in the bloodlines. Much higher ranked than Folignos were, and will be a better player forsure. And Larmand likely wouldn’t have been there when he was projected.

Don’t read into the predraft ranks, if teams don’t go to tournaments where scouts are or play teams who aren’t often scouted, they aren’t going to be ranked as high.

PS- Savage just followed the Wolves on Twitter.... they wouldn’t pick him if they didn’t think they had a chance.

Dmo out
If we get Savage I would be ecstatic

Reactions: WolvesFan

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
Biggest difference between Sudbury and Ottawa is just the general skill level. Ottawa are a threat everytime the puck is on their stick. Outside of a couple players we don't even have the skill to carry the puck in. Have to dump and chase which does not work when you're slower then the other team.

Reactions: hockeynorth and cub

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
I think one of biggest weaknesses are Murray passes in his game, most of time kind of reckless and doesn't make tape to tape passes.

To be quite honest I don't like his game. He does score when giving the opportunity, I'll give him that but overall to me he lacks compete. Which is big for me.

Last edited:

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Not here to rub it in.

It is tough. In Ottawa we’ve seen some decent stretches of dominant hockey and then stretches of what looks like simple disinterest. I am happy to see more interest right now. IT looks like the boys are slamming the pedal down and pushing.

The speed is tough. The pace is tough. As the game and series push forward, the opposition will get tired chasing. That seems to be what is happening here.

I REALLY like what I am seeing from the Wolves though. They have drive, just not enough depth of skill yet. They look a lot like we looked like last year (save for excellent goaltending while Ottawa was SHYTE). I look for a really solid jump forward next year for the Wolves. Your franchise deserves it and you have amongst the best fans in the league.

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
Not here to rub it in.

It is tough. In Ottawa we’ve seen some decent stretches of dominant hockey and then stretches of what looks like simple disinterest. I am happy to see more interest right now. IT looks like the boys are slamming the pedal down and pushing.

The speed is tough. The pace is tough. As the game and series push forward, the opposition will get tired chasing. That seems to be what is happening here.

I REALLY like what I am seeing from the Wolves though. They have drive, just not enough depth of skill yet. They look a lot like we looked like last year (save for excellent goaltending while Ottawa was SHYTE). I look for a really solid jump forward next year for the Wolves. Your franchise deserves it and you have amongst the best fans in the league.

The biggest problem/worry is if that jump forward next year will come. Losing Ukko is not something they can replace. Next year will likely be Byfield's last year. They're just in a tough place due to inconsistent drafting and don't have a real age group to build around. Next year when they should be building around their 19 year olds + Byfield, their 19 year olds will look like McConville, Robinson, Hutcheson, Gihula, Stratis, Serensits. Not exactly a group that screams contender sadly.

It just seems like more of the same, year after year of middle of the pack, with no real hopes of "going for it".

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Not here to rub it in.

Cheers. The Wolves will benefit from this experience too. Special teams really have been the difference but that’s where the depth and skill factor weighs in.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
The biggest problem/worry is if that jump forward next year will come. Losing Ukko is not something they can replace. Next year will likely be Byfield's last year. They're just in a tough place due to inconsistent drafting and don't have a real age group to build around. Next year when they should be building around their 19 year olds + Byfield, their 19 year olds will look like McConville, Robinson, Hutcheson, Gihula, Stratis, Serensits. Not exactly a group that screams contender sadly.

It just seems like more of the same, year after year of middle of the pack, with no real hopes of "going for it".
Agree to disagree. There’s more than one good goalie in the world and I see a
a lot of upside to our returning players. Not to mention our draft and potential moves, both off season and during the year. No one thought they’d go anywhere this year either. Awful pessimistic.

Reactions: Wisdom and WaW
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad