Sudbury Wolves 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 6)

Status
Not open for further replies.

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
Agree to disagree. There’s more than one good goalie in the world and I see a
a lot of upside to our returning players. Not to mention our draft and potential moves, both off season and during the year. No one thought they’d go anywhere this year either. Awful pessimistic.
Ukko is more then a good goalie, he put up arguably the best goaltending season in Sudbury Wolves history.

I'm not saying its impossible that the wolves improve next year, but I see it way more likely that they finished 4-8, then 1-3.

With game 3 comming back to Sudbury, if the wolves want to try this around I really do think they need to bring the game into the trenches. We can't out-skill Ottawa, we can't out run-and-gun them. We can definitely push them around if it's decided thats the style of game we're going to play.

member 236327

The biggest problem/worry is if that jump forward next year will come. Losing Ukko is not something they can replace. Next year will likely be Byfield's last year. They're just in a tough place due to inconsistent drafting and don't have a real age group to build around. Next year when they should be building around their 19 year olds + Byfield, their 19 year olds will look like McConville, Robinson, Hutcheson, Gihula, Stratis, Serensits. Not exactly a group that screams contender sadly.

It just seems like more of the same, year after year of middle of the pack, with no real hopes of "going for it".
So what you’re saying is when you drink a glass of water to the half point, it’s half empty ? Yeah that’s what I thought.... i think the future looks great, you can’t be like the jays and go for it every year otherwise the future is Shit

Reactions: WaW and Lycanthrope

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Ukko is more then a good goalie, he put up arguably the best goaltending season in Sudbury Wolves history.

I'm not saying its impossible that the wolves improve next year, but I see it way more likely that they finished 4-8, then 1-3.

With game 3 comming back to Sudbury, if the wolves want to try this around I really do think they need to bring the game into the trenches. We can't out-skill Ottawa, we can't out run-and-gun them. We can definitely push them around if it's decided thats the style of game we're going to play.
Like I said, agree. ;)

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
Not here to rub it in.

It is tough. In Ottawa we’ve seen some decent stretches of dominant hockey and then stretches of what looks like simple disinterest. I am happy to see more interest right now. IT looks like the boys are slamming the pedal down and pushing.

The speed is tough. The pace is tough. As the game and series push forward, the opposition will get tired chasing. That seems to be what is happening here.

I REALLY like what I am seeing from the Wolves though. They have drive, just not enough depth of skill yet. They look a lot like we looked like last year (save for excellent goaltending while Ottawa was SHYTE). I look for a really solid jump forward next year for the Wolves. Your franchise deserves it and you have amongst the best fans in the league.

Appreciate the kind words. I honestly thought we would have put up a better fight but the 67s are just so deep and every line is a threat to score every shift. I'll be happy to take one of the games at home. Again I think most of us we feel this season has been a big success already regardless, so I'm not overly upset. There's no shame in losing to a team this good, and I really do think you guys will win the title (as long as you finish us off of course, never count the pack out!).

Side note, I really enjoy the 67's broadcast team. Clearly your play-by-play guy is influenced by Joe Bowen. Love his energy and how capable he is to keep up with the play.

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
So what you’re saying is when you drink a glass of water to the half point, it’s half empty ? Yeah that’s what I thought.... i think the future looks great, you can’t be like the jays and go for it every year otherwise the future is ****
We can't go for it every year?

We're a franchise with 3 round wins since 2006-07. 2 Division championships since 1972. I'm not asking for a memorial cup every year, I'm asking for a franchise who aspire to be more then a passenger.

Side note, I really enjoy the 67's broadcast team. Clearly your play-by-play guy is influenced by Joe Bowen. Love his energy and how capable he is to keep up with the play.

Without a doubt, Ottawa probably has the best commentators of any i've listened to this year. Unbiased and knowledgeable crew.

Reactions: BarberPole9

member 236327

And how do you think that happens? By making blockbuster trade’s and sending away draft picks? No you draft, you develop, you create an environment that people want to come to... which was completely tarnished since MB had anything to do with this team.. Ottawa was eliminated in 5 games last year, could they have made deals to go for it? Probably, but they knew their window...

You would fail miserably on NHL GM Mode lol

Reactions: justawolfan

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
Appreciate the kind words. I honestly thought we would have put up a better fight but the 67s are just so deep and every line is a threat to score every shift. I'll be happy to take one of the games at home. Again I think most of us we feel this season has been a big success already regardless, so I'm not overly upset. There's no shame in losing to a team this good, and I really do think you guys will win the title (as long as you finish us off of course, never count the pack out!).

Play by Play guy is very good.

cub

Apr 11, 2012

We're a franchise with 3 round wins since 2006-07. 2 Division championships since 1972. I'm not asking for a memorial cup every year, I'm asking for a franchise who aspire to be more then a passenger.

Without a doubt, Ottawa probably has the best commentators of any i've listened to this year. Unbiased and knowledgeable crew.

djscooter, be patient, we are getting there. If Papineau didn't make a move for UPL, allowed our young D to stick together. Forwards play in all situations we would be in a worst dilemma, they are developing. Be grateful how things have come around this season. The team will continue to add pieces. Don't go back to history of the Wolves because we have new ownership and new management the last 3 years. When Zulich took over we were left with bare bones, it takes time, but this ownership and management is doing it the right way.

I'm not totally convince Byfield is gone after next season, I think he will at least play another 2 seasons. We have a good nucleus coming back, with some more tweaks we can should be fine for next season.

Ottawa has been rebuilding the last few years, and it's all come together for them, hopefully the Wolves can do the same.

yalbmert25

Apr 10, 2016

Byfield being 2 and done is a possibility but I still think far from likely. Less then 3 players usually make the NHL as an 18 year old. He does profile well and has the body type to make the jump. I still think it’s less likely then your making it seem since less then 1% of players make the jump that early. If the season isn’t going well next year and Byfield dominates and looks to be in NHL next year you can trade him for a boatload.... not that I want this but it doesn’t have to be as negative as you make it seem. Have some optimism please. Be a fan and enjoy the moment and the improvements the franchise is making!

I Loveallsports

Apr 13, 2010
djscooter, be patient, we are getting there. If Papineau didn't make a move for UPL, allowed our young D to stick together. Forwards play in all situations we would be in a worst dilemma, they are developing. Be grateful how things have come around this season. The team will continue to add pieces. Don't go back to history of the Wolves because we have new ownership and new management the last 3 years. When Zulich took over we were left with bare bones, it takes time, but this ownership and management is doing it the right way.

I'm not totally convince Byfield is gone after next season, I think he will at least play another 2 seasons. We have a good nucleus coming back, with some more tweaks we can should be fine for next season.

Ottawa has been rebuilding the last few years, and it's all come together for them, hopefully the Wolves can do the same.

Glad to see someone else agrees with my view on Q.

I Loveallsports

Apr 13, 2010

Rome definitely wasn't made in a day and I definitely didn't see us playing in a second round series.

Looking forward to seeing our new draftees perform in a few week's.

Oh, and two more drafts upcoming.

Reactions: cub

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
Byfield being 2 and done is a possibility but I still think far from likely. Less then 3 players usually make the NHL as an 18 year old. He does profile well and has the body type to make the jump. I still think it’s less likely then your making it seem since less then 1% of players make the jump that early. If the season isn’t going well next year and Byfield dominates and looks to be in NHL next year you can trade him for a boatload.... not that I want this but it doesn’t have to be as negative as you make it seem. Have some optimism please. Be a fan and enjoy the moment and the improvements the franchise is making!

Again though the last time a forward was drafted in the top 2 and didn't play at 18 was David Legwand in 1998. Unless Byfield falls beyond #2 next year I think he's done after next season. And most mocks all year have had Lafreniere 1 and Byfield 2.

hockieguy

Sep 7, 2012
Ontario Canada
This game highlights the holes this team needs to fix. The defence is pretty weak and with exception to a few players, there really isn't much. In a 5-0 loss with the best goalie in junior hockey, I hope the picture is clear enough for management to realize there is A LOT of work to do.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Thank the Asian Jesus (21 Jump Street ref.), that you fools aren’t apart of the people who pick our players. Clearly the Wolves are going to be a tough team to play against in the future, with the picks they’ve made. Scratching your head on McCallum, but all had hard-ons when picking McFarland lol. The league is soft, if you have skill and are a tough player to play against, I would be happy to have you!

As far as the second round, glad they picked Stillman, it’s in the bloodlines. Much higher ranked than Folignos were, and will be a better player forsure. And Larmand likely wouldn’t have been there when he was projected.

Don’t read into the predraft ranks, if teams don’t go to tournaments where scouts are or play teams who aren’t often scouted, they aren’t going to be ranked as high.

PS- Savage just followed the Wolves on Twitter.... they wouldn’t pick him if they didn’t think they had a chance.

Dmo out

McFarland scored 96 goals 69 assists for 165 pts in 76 GP as a MM and was the overwhelming consensus #1. Of course people were excited ... >3000 season tickets sold for his rookie season.

Reactions: cub

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
So what you’re saying is when you drink a glass of water to the half point, it’s half empty ? Yeah that’s what I thought.... i think the future looks great, you can’t be like the jays and go for it every year otherwise the future is ****

Not every year, next year when the central is there for the taking would be nice. One OHL championship banner would be nice.

Voice from the North

Sep 17, 2013
Don’t kid yourself, the wolves are among at least half of the league’s teams that have serious recruiting issues.

Being in the half is a lot better then where they were, at the very least. The Wolves reputation is greatly improved. They have to work like most teams but there is more going for them now then in the past.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lycanthrope and cub

Voice from the North

Sep 17, 2013
I think our 4th to 7th picks very strong, with Anania, Robinson, Savage, Gillespie. We pick up 2 D from strong programs, and I think Gillespie that late is kind of a steal. Savage is risky pick, not sure if he will ever report.

6th round with strong local connection and lots of family in Sudbury is the right flyer to take. If it works great and if not you’re not wasting a high pick. Smart pick.

Voice from the North

Sep 17, 2013
The biggest problem/worry is if that jump forward next year will come. Losing Ukko is not something they can replace. Next year will likely be Byfield's last year. They're just in a tough place due to inconsistent drafting and don't have a real age group to build around. Next year when they should be building around their 19 year olds + Byfield, their 19 year olds will look like McConville, Robinson, Hutcheson, Gihula, Stratis, Serensits. Not exactly a group that screams contender sadly.

It just seems like more of the same, year after year of middle of the pack, with no real hopes of "going for it".

It would be hard to go for it with the mess that the previous GMs left for Papineau. Need a goalie (or hope Weeks can be the guy) and a forward in the Euro draft and need some of the 2002 drafted players to show well and grab spots on the team. Hopefully Aucoin decides to come next year. Papineau will likely have to trade for an impact 2000 defenseman as well since there is no clear number 1 going into next season. That’s a lot of holes to fill for a contender even though they should win the Central fairly easily next year

Reactions: Wolfman Jack

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
The central is there for the taking. The wolves would have at worst #2 seed. Go for it! Why wait for Barrie & NB to be ready to contend in 2020-2022?

yalbmert25

Apr 10, 2016
Again though the last time a forward was drafted in the top 2 and didn't play at 18 was David Legwand in 1998. Unless Byfield falls beyond #2 next year I think he's done after next season. And most mocks all year have had Lafreniere 1 and Byfield 2.

Draft is over a year away... I’m not saying he won’t go 2nd overall. I’m just saying there is so much time for things to change. Two years ago Nolan Patrick was going first overall but here came Hischier to take his spot. On top of that the best player of that draft so far has been Pettersson who went 5th. Let’s just see how things play out

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Play by Play guy is very good.

He is way better than Dean Brown the sens play by play caller. A.J Jakubec will be a big time play by play guy at some point, really hoping TSN1200 doesnt blow it and let him go somewhere else. He calls all the Ottawa Redblacks games too, he really knows sports well and is very passionate were lucky to have him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad