Sudbury Wolves 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 6)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Don't hang your heads wolf fans. We weren't the only team to get out butts kicked today.
It’s kind of a carry over from the first round. The higher seeds have made relatively short work of the lower seed over two games. I think we can agree this is somewhat unexpected as a whole.

Interesting to see which if any lower seed is able to make a series of it on home ice.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Hmmm, let me think about that comment LOL. Mathematically, your correct.

All kidding aside, it ain't over. Let's see how wolves come out for game 3.
Can’t underestimate the impact of the injuries on the blueline and no Pilon today means the other Pilon isn’t as effective. Sure doesn’t help anyway.

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
Can’t underestimate the impact of the injuries on the blueline and no Pilon today means the other Pilon isn’t as effective. Sure doesn’t help anyway.

Been mentioned before, and I don't understand why it's said. Having one Pilon not in the lineup makes the other inaffective or as effective.

Last edited:

jrwhopper

May 28, 2015
Am I the only one who thinks the Ottawa play by play announcer sounds like Doc Emrick?

It going to be tough to climb back in this series especially with Serentis and Demeo absent but never say never! Game 3 is pivotal if the Wolves want any chance of a comeback.

Reactions: WolvesFan

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Been mentioned before, and I don't understand why it's said. Having one Pilon not in the lineup makes the other inaffective or as effective.
Right, but its hard to argue the line isn’t better when it’s complete. Essentially my point is I want both, two are better than one, that’s all.

Last edited:

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Am I the only one who thinks the Ottawa play by play announcer sounds like Doc Emrick?

It going to be tough to climb back in this series especially with Serentis and Demeo absent but never say never! Game 3 is pivotal if the Wolves want any chance of a comeback.
I wonder if Demeo might be able to come back. Didn’t someone say he was skating?

STEEL33

Mar 25, 2019
I wonder if Demeo might be able to come back. Didn’t someone say he was skating?
I really believe that the 67's speed really has the wolves reeling! I watched the 67's several times live this season and the speed progression has been on a steady incline! I think if this wolves team was 100% healthy I would only give them one win in this series! UPL has lost his insulation due to the D being run down.

Reactions: cub

WE ARE WOLVES

Sep 10, 2018
That is much less of a problem now then it was in the past. The only reason I can see now that some forwards wouldn’t come to Sudbury is due to a coaches kid being in front of them in the pecking order. Otherwise, there is a better ownership group, better team, coach with NHL connections, chance to play with Byfield, players treated well and they like the city....the Wolves made every change the agents wanted.

Curious to know hockieguy who do you know that didn’t want to report?

Agreed..Not as much of an issue anymore. I feel right now going into next season they should be able to convince anybody who's interested in having NHL scouts look at them come to Sudbury. With Next year being Byfield''s Draft year as well IMO up and coming Defensive Stars in Thompson and Phillips on the team. NHL scouts will be flooding to Sudbury to see what's available.
I think if there was one year that presented an opportunity to convince a Red Savage to bypass the American route and come to Sudbury ...this is it. I have no doubt Mr.October (Brian Savage) can recognize the value in having his boy play in the North at this moment.

Last edited:

HockeyHell

Jul 11, 2017
First of all I am proud of this team whether this round is the end or not.
I think for us to have had a shot we needed everyone healthy and competing at their best.
What you are clearly seeing is our d is getting exposed for what it is young. Thompson has impressed me so much as he has taken a beating and still gives it 100%. He is gaining great experience. Ross needs to understand what type of defensemen he is due to his skill set. Again he is gaining experience. I love how Phillips has progressed this year he is just getting better and better. Stratis has been up and down but I like him next year with a little more strength and leadership.
Having said that goaltending will be a glaring issue and getting some solid defensemen with strength and experience are going to be needed.
As far as forwards go, the new 19 year olds next year need to be tweeked. Hutch is a keeper. Although he needs to find consistancy he has been great this year! After that I am not sure who really stands out. This needs to be a stronger group if you want a championship.
I like Murray, although he needs to improve defensively and Byfield is no discussion required.
OA's the only decision is if they keep Demeo on d who goes and who stays on forward?
If this team is serious about going for it then the discussion of 16 year olds is over. It should be on quality 18 and 19 year olds and who is exchanged. Thoughts?

hockieguy

Sep 7, 2012
Ontario Canada
Pretty much a good summation of what is in need of repair. My only disagreement is on defence. I do not think this group is nearly as good as some posters profess. If this group was as good as some say, there wouldn't be as many shots as there are. This series has show that. The amount of odd man rushes is very high and in a game of speed, the defence are lacking it. The bright spot on defence is Philips, he is the real deal.

In my opinion, if there aren't several trades and FA signings to bring in a couple of veteran defencemen, some FA depth, and most importantly a solid goalie the Wolves will have a really hard time next year. It would not surprise me if they are on the cusp of making the playoffs.

Only time will tell, as there are two drafts left, and a few months to add some depth.

Reactions: STEEL33

HockeyHell

Jul 11, 2017
Pretty much a good summation of what is in need of repair. My only disagreement is on defence. I do not think this group is nearly as good as some posters profess. If this group was as good as some say, there wouldn't be as many shots as there are. This series has show that. The amount of odd man rushes is very high and in a game of speed, the defence are lacking it. The bright spot on defence is Philips, he is the real deal.

In my opinion, if there aren't several trades and FA signings to bring in a couple of veteran defencemen, some FA depth, and most importantly a solid goalie the Wolves will have a really hard time next year. It would not surprise me if they are on the cusp of making the playoffs.

Only time will tell, as there are two drafts left, and a few months to add some depth.
I dont think we disagree on d at all.

Reactions: hockieguy

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Fifty one points in thirty four games. You’re right he couldn’t score if he tried.

Wolves aren't good at drafting skill, Byfield is their first top player in many years and he was a obvious no brainer that you'd have to have been braindead not to draft.

hockieguy

Sep 7, 2012
Ontario Canada
Sounds like a no hands speedster, not what you want that high.

The OHL is a lot different than Minor Midget and there have been a lot of really good midget players that could not perform in the OHL. But there are just as many like Mangiapange that were never drafted that turned out pretty darn good. Its probably a good idea to let the kid play a bit before anyone critics a players play. I think that goes with any player drafted. Some players over achieve their expectations for various reasons, some are complete busts, but the only real indicator is when the biscuit is dropped and the game is on and seeing how he performs.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
I understand speculation is a massive part of the discussion on these boards (though it’s my least favourite aspect) but nobody really knows what he’ll look like in the O. Just like we really never know how a player will adjust to the NHL I agree with that guy who posted about the armchair quarterbacks. I see no reason not to have anything but optimism going into the season with a new draft class. At least until proven otherwise. I was optimistic this season and I’d say it worked out considering it was the fourth best finish in our history.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
The OHL is a lot different than Minor Midget and there have been a lot of really good midget players that could not perform in the OHL. But there are just as many like Mangiapange that were never drafted that turned out pretty darn good. Its probably a good idea to let the kid play a bit before anyone critics a players play. I think that goes with any player drafted. Some players over achieve their expectations for various reasons, some are complete busts, but the only real indicator is when the biscuit is dropped and the game is on and seeing how he performs.
Seems like you read my mind dude. Just finished my post. I guess some guys re even more bored than I am on here.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Ok buddy.

You know it's true, the last player they drafted who was an OHL star was who, Nick Baptiste who broke out his 3rd year in the league? Common, they value hardworking two way players or players with physicality over any other type of player, been this way for awhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad