Sudbury Wolves 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
Barrie kind of duked us with Kril and Lipanov did we hit the home run ball? no but we gave it a shot credit for that. Euro kids are somewhat different, their adjustment to the game can be somewhat challenging when things don't go right. Many cases have their families wanting them back home when expectations are not met.

BayOWolf

Jan 9, 2018
BayOWolf do you think Shane will get exceptional status ? Would sure be nice if Clarke is around when the Wolves pick.

It's tough to say.
I feel like there is still a gap (obviously) between midget AAA, Jr. A and the OHL.
While a player can completely dominate AAA or Jr. A, major junior is still a big step, however, I do feel it's beneficial to the player to play at the highest level when they're ready.

I do believe Shane could handle the OHL, but sometimes that doesn't lead to him getting in early.

It's funny to say that the Wolves will pick lower if the season continues the way it is. You're usually looking at a top 5 pick and analyzing those guys to see who Sudbury will get, but now, it's going to be a bottom 5 pick.
I think they will make some moves and maybe that means more pieces now and in the future to make some changes to their current roster and in future years.

BayOWolf

Jan 9, 2018
BayOWolf, have you seen him play? it would make sense I think with regarding McGrath. We also have option to draft another import goalie if need be, next season.

I think the first thing that's notable with Weeks is his size. It's obvious, but it's an often underrated aspect of a goalies' game. Standing 6-2 is big and his rebound control is good. Sometimes for a big goalie, keeping control of the puck is an issue, but that's one thing he has excelled at.
So a combo of taking up a lot of the net, not giving up great second chances and controlling the puck, therefore controlling the play is big for him and the Wolves moving forward.

I would like to see him in the net while UPL is away.

Reactions: cub and hockeynorth

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
BayOWolf do you think Shane will get exceptional status ? Would sure be nice if Clarke is around when the Wolves pick.

There's a way higher chance Clark goes first overall than he is still there when the Wolves pick. Wouldn't be surprised if Sudbury is taking Chase Stillman with their first pick too

Last edited:
Reactions: cub

WolvesFan

The Voice of Reason
Sep 24, 2012
Sudbury, Ontario
There's a way higher chance Clark goes first overall than he is still there when the Wolves pick. Wouldn't be surprised if Sudbury is taking Chase Stillman with their first pick too

My only question about that is, is he worthy of being picked that high? I don’t have a problem with picking the coaches/owners/Front Offices kid, as long as they are picked at the right time. Also this is assuming that they are also used properly once they are on the team. Ex. Every know who I’m talking about! :)

I have only seen one list so far and Chase was ranked for the 40th pick, now that was I while back, things change and players stock goes up and down, I just want to avoid the Burgess situation again for obvious reasons!

Either way I have full confidence in Paps, that he will make the right call and picks!

Go Wolves Go!

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
My only question about that is, is he worthy of being picked that high? I don’t have a problem with picking the coaches/owners/Front Offices kid, as long as they are picked at the right time. Also this is assuming that they are also used properly once they are on the team. Ex. Every know who I’m talking about! :)

I have only seen one list so far and Chase was ranked for the 40th pick, now that was I while back, things change and players stock goes up and down, I just want to avoid the Burgess situation again for obvious reasons!

Either way I have full confidence in Paps, that he will make the right call and picks..
I don’t want to grab Chase anytime before the top 40, as I think he may slip due to his providence commitment and really he isn’t worth a top 30 pick imo though I haven’t watched too many kids.

Reactions: WolvesFan

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Right now for our first through reading and some highlights I’m feeling interested in (in no order as I’m no scout):

Sasha Rolofs
Brendan Sirizzotti
Brendan Ohtman (probably already gone)
Kaleb Lawrence
Brett Harrison
Maddox Callens
Francesco Arcuri (would he make it there? Depends how we do)

Reactions: cub

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
He is still a question mark this early,I see him early third and Paps would try to acquire another third if they were to go for him. How much room would this team have next season for 16yr olds? my guess is 2. I would suspect they would want a D with their first pic. Corey would want him drafted to a team that could give him ample ice time. They could also make a move for him down the road like they tried to do with his brother.

Reactions: hockeynorth

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
He is still a question mark this early,I see him early third and Paps would try to acquire another third if they were to go for him. How much room would this team have next season for 16yr olds? my guess is 2. I would suspect they would want a D with their first pic. Corey would want him drafted to a team that could give him ample ice time. They could also make a move for him down the road like they tried to do with his brother.
You hearing any trade talk Bill?

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Barrie kind of duked us with Kril and Lipanov did we hit the home run ball? no but we gave it a shot credit for that. Euro kids are somewhat different, their adjustment to the game can be somewhat challenging when things don't go right. Many cases have their families wanting them back home when expectations are not met.
Did I not read he wanted a trade, again? Maybe the Wolves could recoup something for him (likely not a great return though).

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I think the first thing that's notable with Weeks is his size. It's obvious, but it's an often underrated aspect of a goalies' game. Standing 6-2 is big and his rebound control is good. Sometimes for a big goalie, keeping control of the puck is an issue, but that's one thing he has excelled at.
So a combo of taking up a lot of the net, not giving up great second chances and controlling the puck, therefore controlling the play is big for him and the Wolves moving forward.

I would like to see him in the net while UPL is away.

Big goalies that can square up the shooter make rebound control look easy. The smaller the goalie, the more he needs to move which leads to angled rebounds and greater scrambling, as opposed to the large squared off G where the puck hits larger, softer part of the pads & chest and drops straight down.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I don’t want to grab Chase anytime before the top 40, as I think he may slip due to his providence commitment and really he isn’t worth a top 30 pick imo though I haven’t watched too many kids.

He probably does not last beyond mid-2nd round. There are 10, maybe more US kids in the top 40 committed to college that will play USHL/USNDT.

Reactions: hockeynorth

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
See I see us going for a real good offensive player with our first since we have so many young D. I see us grabbing someone we project as a winger who can either really soot, or who has great playmaking skills.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Which OA goes to make room for Saigeon? Would have to add D or two; then, move Candella?
He would be an awesome C to play with Levin; plus, all the experience would be great for a team of players that has not won a round of playoffs.
Do you think the wolves make three moves and willing to part with the assets?

Last edited:

howlman

Mar 9, 2004
Would be something like Saigeon and Landry to Sudbury for a boatload, then flipping Candella to another team.

Pilon's aren't going anywhere, so to bring in an OA like Saigeon, Candella would be odd man out. Seems unlikely with how much Paps invested in Candella

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
I agree, I’d be surprised by this. Intuitively I’d have to think loyalty might come into play. Here’s a guy who suffered through a brutal season and has been a leader this year. You never know but I’d be surprised if a move involving an OA was made.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Would be something like Saigeon and Landry to Sudbury for a boatload, then flipping Candella to another team.

Pilon's aren't going anywhere, so to bring in an OA like Saigeon, Candella would be odd man out. Seems unlikely with how much Paps invested in Candella

Yeah, moving the twins would be bad.
Though Saigeon or Brazeau or Hancock in place of Candella & a D like Keane would be quite an improvement, it would come at net cost of around six high picks.
I’d be ok with that if the team made a 2nd add to the D as well. That would be a team with a legit shot, imo

Last edited:

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
I'm not sure if Candella would get moved. He has been better this year. He is a leader to this group and seems to work his tail off. Does he make mistakes? Yes, but has worked really hard at limiting them and the results show for it as the team has played great. Saigeon would be a big get but I don't think its going to happen. I don't see Papineau giving up on a player he traded for last year and gave up the picks he did to get him. I see Sudbury dealing for a puck moving D who can quarterback the PP. Landry seems like a good fit. Its that one 19 year old forward that provide an extra spark to the offence. Neauman out of Kingston would be amazing along with Brahanay. So add Landry and Brahanay on the backend and Neauman up front. The Wolves would have to give up on Wawrow, Tabek, Gihula, possibly Nizhnikov, McGrath and picks to get it done.

WJ

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I'm not sure if Candella would get moved. He has been better this year. He is a leader to this group and seems to work his tail off. Does he make mistakes? Yes, but has worked really hard at limiting them and the results show for it as the team has played great. Saigeon would be a big get but I don't think its going to happen. I don't see Papineau giving up on a player he traded for last year and gave up the picks he did to get him. I see Sudbury dealing for a puck moving D who can quarterback the PP. Landry seems like a good fit. Its that one 19 year old forward that provide an extra spark to the offence. Neauman out of Kingston would be amazing along with Brahanay. So add Landry and Brahanay on the backend and Neauman up front. The Wolves would have to give up on Wawrow, Tabek, Gihula, possibly Nizhnikov, McGrath and picks to get it done.

WJ

I think Candella is a big part of the team too; underrated by the local fans, imo.
Love the Neumann/Brahaney idea; both would be likely OA too...worth the cost. I was thinking about a speed line of Neumann-Robinson-Gihula/Murray/Hutch the other day. Bulitka, Byfield, & Levin could be put together.
Landry though, I think would be an offensive luxury/defensive liability the wolves could do without.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Not sure picking up any 19 year olds with OA hopes is a great idea. OAs for next year seem pretty locked in with Levin, Carson and Bulitka.

It’s more cost effective than adding players that definitely won’t return. Brahaney, Levin, and Bulitka would be good. Carson & Neumann traded preseason would return a lot of the picks to have a real post season run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad