Sudbury Wolves 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
If Bill is correct and Ukko leaves the first of December I count 12 games, numerous against divisional rivals. However I read on Windsor’s board someone said they had eight games left before Canada’s camp (not sure all camps start at the same time) and that would mean the last weekend of play would the weekend of Fri Dec 7.

Last edited:

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Everyone will be down some key pieces during world junior season though. I wouldn't worry too much about it, McGrath hasn't looked terrible this season regardless.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Everyone will be down some key pieces during world junior season though. I wouldn't worry too much about it, McGrath hasn't looked terrible this season regardless.
Well I just say crossed fingers for him. Goaltending is THE most crucial position by far and doesn’t compare with other positions.

justawolfan

Timbertype
Sep 12, 2017
Frozen North

9 games without UPL won't be easy but as you've pointed out McGrath has looked up to the task and he knows his role so this is a great opportunity for him to prove himself.

Voice from the North

Sep 17, 2013

Aside from the first week he hasn't looked good either. The first shot and badly timed weak goals need to be a thing of the past. Hopefully he's been able to work out the kinks the past few weeks to find his form from two years ago. He'll never have a better opportunity

Reactions: Lycanthrope

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Aside from the first week he hasn't looked good either. The first shot and badly timed weak goals need to be a thing of the past. Hopefully he's been able to work out the kinks the past few weeks to find his form from two years ago. He'll never have a better opportunity
I didn’t want to say it but yes the last two games he let the first shot in and several other weak goals. I already said he should embrace this as an opportunity. Let’s hope he does, it may be his last. If anyone needs to see how the loss of a goaltender can send the team spiralling ask the Soo.

Reactions: soo hound girl

justawolfan

Timbertype
Sep 12, 2017
Frozen North
I didn’t want to say it but yes the last two games he let the first shot in and several other weak goals. I already said he should embrace this as an opportunity. Let’s hope he does, it may be his last. If anyone needs to see how the loss of a goaltender can send the team spiralling ask the Soo.

OK, that makes sense and it's unfortunate. Do you have a suggestion for how we improve the situation?

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
So hutcheson gets PP time.. and we get a PP goal! Also Tabak, McConville and Hutcheson always seem to put up numbers together.

Reactions: Lycanthrope

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
Wolves look uninterested tonight. Tough night for Ukko. How they can play so hard vs Ottawa to going for a crap against Mississauga and SSM. Amazing how two players like Tippett and McLeod and then Hayton/Frost can take control and lead their respective teams.

WJ

Reactions: three dog night

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Wolves look uninterested tonight. Tough night for Ukko. How they can play so hard vs Ottawa to going for a crap against Mississauga and SSM. Amazing how two players like Tippett and McLeod and then Hayton/Frost can take control and lead their respective teams.

WJ

I agree couple of good players able to expose team, some timely penalties, short handed goal hasn't help. Couple of lucky ones getting by Ukko too, tonight. Soo is definitely nice skating team, they have to play more physical and slow them down.

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
Seems Byfields game has been very ordinarily of late, limited scoring chances, fighting the puck and falling a lot. Could be worn down as he has played a lot of hockey. The wow factor is just not there right now.

justawolfan

Timbertype
Sep 12, 2017
Frozen North
Seems Byfields game has been very ordinarily of late, limited scoring chances, fighting the puck and falling a lot. Could be worn down as he has played a lot of hockey. The wow factor is just not there right now.

Agree, absolutely. He seems to be fighting the puck without any control. Maybe we need to find him someone to feed him?

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Byfield is still 16 and he has a very awkward frame to try and deal with when he's still growing. Suzuki had rough stretches last year too and Byfield I'd say has looked better then Suzuki. Though I do agree, the wow isn't there just yet.

Reactions: hockieguy

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
I have noticed Byfield not getting much space lately. You have to remember he is playing vs other teams top lines every game. So I will cut him some slack. Teams are checking him hard. However playing him on the point is the coaches trying to get him the space with the puck. He’s tentative still but I think in time he will make a jump in his game. Murray on the other hand wishes he played North Bay every game of the season.

WJ

Reactions: justawolfan

cub

Apr 11, 2012

I agree, think alot of these guys look pretty tired, it was very tough stretch in schedule. Looking at the schedule it isn't going to be easy we are in very tough. Good thing we have 6 game home stand

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Missing in action! Anyone know what’s up with Krill the thrill Niznikov?

WJ

Sick apparently:sarcasm:. I wish Wolves Organization, did a better job on players status. Back in the day, I always remembered it was always published.

soo hound girl

Oct 20, 2017
I agree couple of good players able to expose team, some timely penalties, short handed goal hasn't help. Couple of lucky ones getting by Ukko too, tonight. Soo is definitely nice skating team, they have to play more physical and slow them down.
I thought Ukko played pretty good was not his fault the difference in this game was not won playing 5 on 5 . If anybody noticed hounds coach made sure Hayton and Frost went out after the Pilons came off he got the match ups he wanted I believe that is how you guys beat Ottawa they totally shut Ottawa’s top line down probably will be different when we play you guys in Sudbury

Reactions: cub

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
OK, that makes sense and it's unfortunate. Do you have a suggestion for how we improve the situation?
Well McGrath looked ok tonight. Wolves didn’t look ready to compete hard enough to start the game, I agree they seemed to rather be doing something else. McConville one bright spot as you could tell he was itching to play. He earned another game in the lineup. Ten goals now for Hutch. Wolves couldn’t handle the Hounds top end players at all and looked quite outclassed at times. PP still an issue, scored one but gave up a shorty. Not sure what they practice but it’s not translating. Again simplify! PK not much better, in fact our PP was actually better at this time last year according to a graphic on the Hounds broadcast. Anyone talking about buying should see that if Ukko doesn’t do miracles we truly see where we stand against elite talent at this point. Real test will come when we lose him. Too bad because I really think the Hounds young goalie was quite beatable last night if we could have generated enough scoring chances.
I think we can agree this home stand is crucial to staying up in the race. We need to bank some points before we lose Ukko. Saginaw just fired their coach so they could come in really fired up. Hoping for a really good weekend. Also, I know coaches are inclined to pull their goalies earlier but what’s with pulling the goalie with three minutes left and no solid possession? Immediate goal, game officially over. Puzzling to me and others I spoke to who were at the game.

Last edited:

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
:sarcasm:
Sick apparently:sarcasm:. I wish Wolves Organization, did a better job on players status. Back in the day, I always remembered it was always published.
Must be one heck of a sickness, is it lower or upper body Wonder if there’s more to it. Suspicious.

Last edited:
Reactions: cub

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Off ice topic has the area been decided for you new arena.
Apparently. There’s a vocal minority who are trying to employ every stall tactic in the book but we recently re-elected our Mayor who is very much in favour along with the majority of council so we’ll see. If anyone has more info I’d like to hear it.

Reactions: three dog night

three dog night

May 3, 2014
Apparently. There’s a vocal minority who are trying to employ every stall tactic in the book but we recently re-elected our Mayor who is very much in favour along with the majority of council so we’ll see. If anyone has more info I’d like to hear it.
Hope it gets done nothing like a brand new building.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad