Sudbury Wolves 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Also wanted to point out how bad Lalonde was for Guelph. Crazy how much he has fallen. He looked worse than he did when he was a rookie for us at 16. Can't say I feel bad considering he forced his way out of here.

I was thinking the same, looks terrible, should of stuck it out with the Wolves for his development he would of got more playing time. He is like the 6th Defenceman with Guelph.

Reactions: WolvesFan and WaW

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
Great weekend again for the Wolves! Unreal how this team is playing. What a terrific home stand to watch. Next up is Barrie on Thursday and possibly the last game for Ukko as he makes his way to the World Juniors. Should be a little easier for the Wolves as Saginaw just traded for overage Murray from Barrie. I guess Barrie is bowing out of the Eastern race with this deal. Should be interesting to see what moves Sudbury makes as Niagara and Ottawa are the only two that have signalled an all in. Rumours has Ottawa going after two overage players as well Niagara.

WJ

Reactions: WolvesFan and cub

justawolfan

Timbertype
Sep 12, 2017
Frozen North
Malik is in Bonnyville Alberta representing the Czechs at the World Jr Challenge. They played the host team this evening winning 5-1 he picked up one assist in the pre tournament game. The tournament ends next Sunday the 16th.

Thanks for the update. On tonight's broadcast, Pascal discussed the defensive core and Malik was mentioned. His comment was that hopefully he can get back into the lineup at some point and stay healthy. I guess they don't tell the announcers!

Last edited:

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
We are waiting for you dirty12 to give Stillman some credit on coaching this team to a 19-8-1-1 record so far
:popcorn:

Definitely have to give him credit for playing the players that give the team its best chance to win this season. His coaching decisions are not losing games this season; that is a good start towards being an above replacement level coach.
Levin has been real good and UPL incredible.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
Definitely have to give him credit for playing the players that give the team its best chance to win this season. His coaching decisions are not losing games this season; that is a good start towards being an above replacement level coach.
Levin has been real good and UPL incredible.

I think to your first point, he needs to be given credit for what another poster here said, where he gave alot of these guys much needed ice time for development as 16/17 year olds last year. We were never going anywhere last year, so he spent the year making sure those 16/17 year olds would become productive 17/18 year olds. I'd bet as a group those players have far exceeded even his expectations.

On a different note, I need to admit I was wrong about Gilhula. He has played well since returning to the lineup despite my pre-season belief that he might be the worst 19 year old in the league. He still has no future as an OA in this league, but he's been far from being a waste of a roster spot like I originally thought.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I think to your first point, he needs to be given credit for what another poster here said, where he gave alot of these guys much needed ice time for development as 16/17 year olds last year. We were never going anywhere last year, so he spent the year making sure those 16/17 year olds would become productive 17/18 year olds. I'd bet as a group those players have far exceeded even his expectations.

On a different note, I need to admit I was wrong about Gilhula. He has played well since returning to the lineup despite my pre-season belief that he might be the worst 19 year old in the league. He still has no future as an OA in this league, but he's been far from being a waste of a roster spot like I originally thought.

Gihula is 18 born 2000; like Niz, Hutch, McConville. He will be a good OA for some team, imo.

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
Niz is back in Russia and wants out, will not be back in the O as a wolf.

Reactions: cub

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Does wanting out mean out of the Wolves and the league? Any chance he could be traded?
Great home stand for the Wolves!

Sleemans99

Nov 25, 2018
Interesting game yesterday I thought the wolves were the better team late in the first and first half of the second but overall think Guelph was better. They are the type of team that Sudbury will always have difficulty with, good size forwards who have some speed and skill besides. When they imposed their will on the boards and in front of the net, Wolves had a hard time with them. When Wolves were able to keep the ply more flowing and in the middle of the ice they do better.

Carson and the Pilons are very effective, much more than I thought they would be. Watching the Pilons closely they do two things really well, their high work rate with feet always moving, and their quick hands which create many turnovers in the offensive zone.

Levins play to set-up Hutcheson's goal was outstanding, winning the draw, spinning free in circle and hitting Bultika in stride.

To those on the board and people in the stands near me who complain about the referees, you have to keep up with how the game is called now. In all leagues, you slash a stick out of someones hands its a penalty. You contact another player belwo the knees with your stick and they go down it is tripping. If you arm bar someone and dont get the body in front of them it is holding. These were not always the case 5-10 years ago but it is now.

The Stratis penalty i thought could have been a penalty shot. Here is the question, would you rather have a penalty shot (odds of scoring are about 30%) and keep the remaining three minutes of the man advantage or have the minor called and loose the man advantage. I think I like the penalty shot, especially with UPL in the net. Of course the way the Wolves power play was going that may not have been a great deal either.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
So I was wondering if anyone else (besides Jack who made it known earlier) thinks maybe we should seriously look at adding a piece or two, so long as we don’t torpedo next season.
Goalies like UPL just don’t come along very often and that’s what makes it so tempting to add this year.
Thoughts?

justawolfan

Timbertype
Sep 12, 2017
Frozen North
So I was wondering if anyone else (besides Jack who made it known earlier) thinks maybe we should seriously look at adding a piece or two, so long as we don’t torpedo next season.
Goalies like UPL just don’t come along very often and that’s what makes it so tempting to add this year.
Thoughts?

I can't help but think we should add a solid defenseman. The young guys are playing very well, probably better than we could expect, but that seems to be our weakness and I agree that we should take advantage of having Ukko. Our goaltending could very well be a concern next season.

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
I can't help but think we should add a solid defenseman. The young guys are playing very well, probably better than we could expect, but that seems to be our weakness and I agree that we should take advantage of having Ukko. Our goaltending could very well be a concern next season.

The issue is, adding a d-man means Thompson or Philips are knocked out of the lineup, which hurts the Wolves more for next year. Unless they chose to move Candella for a defencemen who can recognize his own goalie, in a deal, I just don't see it to be worth it.

Reactions: hockeynorth

cub

Apr 11, 2012
My concern, as was evident yesterday game, we are short in numbers last few games, missing Kirill N., McConville, Robinson, Malik being out. The team went basically with 3 lines last night, 4th line O'Bonsawin, Tabak, Wawrow got nabbed for a couple of goals. Wawrow at forward was tough adjustment for him in my opinion.

After the big lead, we began to get tired I think, also with all the penalties to kill, having our 4th line back intact would help in shutting Guelph done, not being able to tie it up.

We are a 4 line team which is great to have, not sure what is the injury status on McConville and Robinson? Kirill N. apparently in Russia. You will have to believe Papineau goes out and gets a player for some depth, or call up players from junior.

Reactions: Lycanthrope

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
The issue is, adding a d-man means Thompson or Philips are knocked out of the lineup, which hurts the Wolves more for next year. Unless they chose to move Candella for a defencemen who can recognize his own goalie, in a deal, I just don't see it to be worth it.

If you move Candella, may as well move UPL too; thereby, setting the team up for an ‘all-in’ year next season.
Can wait to see what the Gens do if you’re thinking next year. But also have to really consider a C/RW linemate for Levin and a real upgrade at D (two year player if possible) while UPL is with the team. It’s entirely possible Gens, Petes, NB, Colts, ‘67s again, all think that they can win next season.

justawolfan

Timbertype
Sep 12, 2017
Frozen North

I get it but what's going to happen when Malik comes back? Surely, Thompson will sit out which is not ideal. I guess the big decision is whether we look to improve this year of for next.

BTW, please explain your reference regarding Candella and his goalie; totally missing it.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Left last week and the quote I received was and the players won't miss him. They did not release him but he was told to go home , decide what you want to do. He wants to be traded. AGAIN.

Hopefully we can move him then, if this is the case. Not sure if anyone will want him, with his history.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad