Salary Cap: Subban negotiations

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
It's going to be interesting to see what Toews and Kane get. Whether they take lower salaries/terms and stay with the Hawks or just take the highest bidder route.

I think that if these two sign early and stay with the Hawks for less money than each potentially could have gotten, then that might impact negotiations with other star players such as Subban.

Or not:laugh:

Those two were also given long term, big money contracts as RFAs. Not really comprable to subban. Not anymore, anyway.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Folks who keep talking about him being an RFA are out to lunch. This guy holds all the cards.

We grossly underpaid for him the past two seasons and any team in the league would pay 10 mil per season for this guy. If an offer sheet came his way for this cash, the Habs would match in two seconds.

If he wants to milk us and we don't play ball, he's eligible for arbitration. The only thing that will be factored in these negotiations will be how he was willingly ripped off last time around.

Pay the man his 8 x 8 and be happy about it.

red devil

Oct 14, 2004
Folks who keep talking about him being an RFA are out to lunch. This guy holds all the cards.

We grossly underpaid for him the past two seasons and any team in the league would pay 10 mil per season for this guy. If an offer sheet came his way for this cash, the Habs would match in two seconds.

If he wants to milk us and we don't play ball, he's eligible for arbitration. The only thing that will be factored in these negotiations will be how he was willingly ripped off last time around.

I agree he definitely holds all the cards, but the worst case scenario is he only signs for a short term deal to bring him to ufa at the end of that contract. If he and his agent believes that the cap is going to go up dramatically in the next few years, this could be a possibility.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I agree he definitely holds all the cards, but the worst case scenario is he only signs for a short term deal to bring him to ufa at the end of that contract. If he and his agent believes that the cap is going to go up dramatically in the next few years, this could be a possibility.
That's a possibility.

But he's talked for a long time about signing a long term deal with us. He could always use the possibility of the cap going up as leverage in negotiations.

Bottom line is that he really holds the cards here. He'll do whatever the hell he wants and we'll pay him. We pretty much have to. Letting a guy like that walk out at 25 years old would be the worst disaster since losing Roy.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal

I don't think 8 x 8 is going to be enough anymore. I have a feeling that If the cap hit is going to be 8 million or lower, the amount of years will most probably be in the low range, e.g. 3, maybe 4 years.

Look at the playoffs he's having. Top 10 points leader... I wouldn't want to be MB after the season is done.

RaMMuT

Tank Nation 2012
Jul 22, 2009
Montreal
If Josh Gorges makes 4mil a year then subban deserves at least 8.

And half of his 8 million will go to the government in taxes.

Expect an overpayment.

#GHG

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I don't think 8 x 8 is going to be enough anymore. I have a feeling that If the cap hit is going to be 8 million or lower, the amount of years will most probably be in the low range, e.g. 3, maybe 4 years.

Look at the playoffs he's having. Top 10 points leader... I wouldn't want to be MB after the season is done.
It isn't. But that's what I think PK will sign for. He wants to be a Hab and he wants a cup.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007

Yeah those that are factoring in 2 years of Rfa status to come up with a Weber like salary are out to lunch but a $10M salary valuation is in the ballpark . What a typically dumb comment.

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010

Any GM? After what happened at the last Olympics?

I think there are a handful of GM's that would pay $9 million a year but I find your claim outlandish, to say the least.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Subban could be doing way more if he was playing with someone better. Keith wouldn't have these incredible numbers if he was playing with Gorges.

MTL should really focus on having more def with a lot more speed than what they have right now.

Subban has put up bigger numbers than Keith the last 2 years.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
At the end of the day, Subban will get paid. MB's challenge is selling Subban on leaving money on the table to help him build a better team around him to win a cup. His contract will be 50-60 mil plus he'll make a pile in endorsements along with another contract at 32-33 for another 5-6 years.

Oleg Petrov

Jun 15, 2008
Salary Arbitration

No reason they can't take him to Arbitration, that way he is sheltered from an offer sheet while they negotiate.

Honestly. I'd give him $76 million for 8 years. $9.5 Million per season.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
No reason they can't take him to Arbitration, that way he is sheltered from an offer sheet while they negotiate.

Honestly. I'd give him $76 million for 8 years. $9.5 Million per season.

That takes away 2 mil that you can't invest in a 3rd liner or #5 d-man. Crosby and Malkin having huge cap hits are part of why Pittsburgh hasn't won in quite awhile.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
He has been outplayed big time by MCD this series, will that have an effect on his contract?
He has been outproduced anyway, in 2 games where the combined score was 10-3. I don't see anything meaningful in that in any respect. McDonagh is an excellent player. But nothing that McDonagh does or doesn't do will have any bearing whatsoever on Subban's next contract.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
He has been outplayed big time by MCD this series, will that have an effect on his contract?

I don't see McDonough getting a lot of points on goals he had little to do with as playing that great. McD has been solid, but if he was a force, Lundquist wouldn't have faced a shooting gallery last game. He's primarily a stay at home d-man.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Yeah those that are factoring in 2 years of Rfa status to come up with a Weber like salary are out to lunch but a $10M salary valuation is in the ballpark . What a typically dumb comment.
Those factoring in 2 yars of Rfa status are out to lunch to begin with because it's only one. So THAT would be a dumb comment...

He's eligible for arbitration and the team has no leverage. Unlike last time, they can't make him sit. If they screw with him, he'll take an offer sheet or go to arbitration and become a UFA. Most folks can see this...
No. He's been awesome for the most part in the playoffs and even though he didn't put up any points in the last game, the effort was there. This post-season he's only helped himself. And if you look on the other boards, his play has won over many who doubted him. Slowly but surely people around the league are starting to realize just how good this guy really is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad