Salary Cap: Subban negotiations

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Does that GM believe in bridge deals to superstar talents?

Exactly. Not applicable to the habs in any way.

Plus, the GM quoted in the initial post is Pejorative Slured. As if giving 10M to one player meant that the rest of the lineup had to be full of 1M players. Crosby, Malkin still can play with guys like Letang, Neal...

If a GM said that, he didn't think it through or was joking around because that's just dumb as hell.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
So what I am reading is people think Subban is worth considerably more than Shea Weber, despite PK having 2 more years under team control. Hmmm, you guys are generous.

The people offering the $9M and $10M range have just blown my mind. Hopefully you have a job to offer me because I love making 20 percent over the market .

Mario Lemieux fan 66

Nov 2, 2012
That's completely 100% asinine thinking. Nothing of what you just said makes any sense whatsoever.

So a player should accept less than what his agent can get him to help the team? We don't live in communist Russia. Don't force your values on others.

It's certainly in no possible, imaginable way on Subban to accept less than 100% full market value.

Great players like Brodeur, Kariya and Savard have signed in the past contract under the market value to have the chance to play on a perennial Stanley cup contender team.

Just with the Habs, Price and Pacioretty are underpaid because they want a shot at the Stanley Cup. I have said that i will be ok with Subban at a 8.5 millions cap hit that would put him in a select club with only Malkin, Staal, Crosby, Getzlaf and Perry. All these players have won the Stanley Cup before getting these big fat juicy contract.

For me, 8.5 millions for Subban is far form an insult and far from the communist russia. That would be a fair deal for both side. Being at the place of Pacioretty or Price i would be piss of if Subban wants a 9+ millions deal despite both of them have make sacrifice for the team.

It's Subban right to ask for the moon and good for him if he gets it. But, i would not be a happy fan if he gets a 9.5 millions cap hit. The depth of the team is a big part of the playoff success of the Habs. A 9.5 millions Subban would be a big hit to the depth of the team.

I am a fan of the team first and a Subban fan after. Not the inverse.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Great players like Brodeur, Kariya and Savard have signed in the past contract under the market value to have the chance to play on a perennial Stanley cup contender team.

#1- They signed those deals AFTER the teams they were on were perenial contenders. Habs are not a contender yet. Subban would be placing an awful lot of good faith in this team.

#2-These players had already made a lot of money prior to signing cheaper deals

#3-These players weren't lowballed into a holdout and constantly diminished at every turn by their own team prior to signing those deals.

It's just a completely different situation. MB established the basis for Subban's next deal. He said, prove that you're worth a long term deal because right now we don't believe you are. He went ahead and did that, and now it is time to pay.

Just with the Habs, Price and Pacioretty are underpaid because they want a shot at the Stanley Cup.
Pacioretty most likely really regrets his deal. He fired his agent recently. That being said, he signed a longer deal than Subban and for more money. I just don't think he did it for the reasons you say he did it for. He wanted security and a certain amount for his first big deal after the Chara hit.

Price underpaid? Really? He was top 3 highest paid goalie when he signed that deal. And at the time he had never even been nominated for a vezina. If anything he was overpaid in comparison with his achievements and paid purely on potential.

I have said that i will be ok with Subban at a 8.5 millions cap hit that would put him in a select club with only Malkin, Staal, Crosby, Getzlaf and Perry. All these players have won the Stanley Cup before getting these big fat juicy contract.
I don't know what is the right amount within the context of this new CBA without possibility for front loading and other stuff that's been done in past CBAs. That said, all the players you just named got really good RFA deals and weren't shafted with Del Zotto level of offers. Do you realize that MB offered Del Zotto money to PK as a RFA? HE got less than John Carlson ! I think that's ridiculous personally.

For me, 8.5 millions for Subban is far form an insult and far from the communist russia. That would be a fair deal for both side. Being at the place of Pacioretty or Price i would be piss of if Subban wants a 9+ millions deal despite both of them have make sacrifice for the team.
What is commnist russia is saying that Subban should accept X amount to be a team player. If he doesn't, you will think he's a cancer or greedy egotistic player... I think that's silly. Subban, given the circumstances of his past dealings with the habs is entirely justified in letting his agent get whatever amount he can get for him without even the most remote feeling of guilt.

It's Subban right to ask for the moon and good for him if he gets it. But, i would not be a happy fan if he gets a 9.5 millions cap hit. The depth of the team is a big part of the playoff success of the Habs. A 9.5 millions Subban would be a big hit to the depth of the team.
Look, 1M won't change anything. I'd rather overpay a guy like Subban by 1M than a guy like Prust, or Budaj, or Moen. Subban is one in a million, impossible to trade for, while the other guys are dime a dozen players.

I am a fan of the team first and a Subban fan after. Not the inverse.
This has nothing to do with that.

Hell, I'll be quite happy if we sign Subban for 5M. But I think it's absolutely ridiculous to turn on Subban if he signs for more than what you hoped for. If Subban ends up signing for 9.5M, then the person you should be upset at is MB, not Subban. He would only be playing by the rules that MB set for him.

JustAHabFan

Apr 8, 2008
Let's assume that the Habs won the Cup and Subban got the Conn Smyth. How much is Subban going to get? 8/8M? 8/9M?

Pirate

Jan 23, 2013
So what I am reading is people think Subban is worth considerably more than Shea Weber, despite PK having 2 more years under team control. Hmmm, you guys are generous.

The people offering the $9M and $10M range have just blown my mind. Hopefully you have a job to offer me because I love making 20 percent over the market .

Shea webber makes 11.5 million over the first 8 years of his deal and makes 6 million as a 37 year old. Little different and I think subban would sign this deal if it could be offered but since it can't 8x8 because he's a sucker and bergevin will schmooze him with delusions of multiple championships and being a legend in Montreal.

Video Coach

Sep 16, 2005
8 yrs x 7.6/yr + 10m signing bonus = $70.8M $8.85M caphit

Hopefully that's the high end. Low end is the $7.6M a yr with no bonus.

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
I think he'd have a much easier time if he had someone better to play with. Gorges just isn't doing it for me (or Subban), not enough skill.

Video Coach

Sep 16, 2005
I think he'd have a much easier time if he had someone better to play with. Gorges just isn't doing it for me (or Subban), not enough skill.

He looks pretty good with Beaulieu but that's a lot of risk on one pair. But the two of them have been able to find each other well whenever paired together. Doesn't seem to make much sense but if there's chemistry it could work in time. They would be very dangerous...

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
He looks pretty good with Beaulieu but that's a lot of risk on one pair. But the two of them have been able to find each other well whenever paired together. Doesn't seem to make much sense but if there's chemistry it could work in time. They would be very dangerous...

Very similar players, I'd rather they were separated. I honestly think Subban just needs someone he can depend on to get it out of the zone consistently and play good defensive hockey.

Video Coach

Sep 16, 2005
Very similar players, I'd rather they were separated. I honestly think Subban just needs someone he can depend on to get it out of the zone consistently and play good defensive hockey.

I guess I was thinking about the future. It would have to be Markov.

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
They need to find him a D partner. Gorges isn't the guy and Markov isn't either. Beulieu's too green right now.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
After the Habs played super hard ball with him in the last negotiations, and essentially just ****ed him up the ass and forced him to take $2.875 mil/year, I'd say PK would be justified to play hard ball back. Subban's in control now, and if he won't back down from a cap hit north of $9 mil, I think the Habs would eventually just have to cave in and take it.

However, I do think PK's too much of a team player to play such a hard ball game. I see him taking ~$8 mil/year for 8 years, which is still a lot, but not as much as he could get if he wanted to really maximize his negotiating position (like the Habs did to him 2 years ago).

Video Coach

Sep 16, 2005
After the Habs played super hard ball with him in the last negotiations, and essentially just ****ed him up the ass and forced him to take $2.875 mil/year, I'd say PK would be justified to play hard ball back. Subban's in control now, and if he won't back down from a cap hit north of $9 mil, I think the Habs would eventually just have to cave in and take it.

However, I do think PK's too much of a team player to play such a hard ball game. I see him taking ~$8 mil/year for 8 years, which is still a lot, but not as much as he could get if he wanted to really maximize his negotiating position (like the Habs did to him 2 years ago).

Certainly the team had the upper hand, and played it last time round. But I don't think it needs to be seen as the team screwing Subban as much as it was a lesson about being a team player.

I think PK has shown this playoffs that he is both an excellent team mate, but he is the real deal. No d man has flawless, impactful games every night, but I'd put PK up there amongst just about anybody right now.

But if Sidney Crosby takes a substantial paycut every contract to be a good teammate, PK can do the same. It would be pretty lame of him to sign a $10M contract after the playoffs and have us not be able to sign Markov or something like that.

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal
Last edited:

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
My contract offer stands:

Back-loaded 8 year deal that keeps his salary tied with Carey for the next 4 years, then increments thereafter... $6.75-7-7-7-8-8-8.4-8.65M for a $7.6M cap hit. Nice and tidy.

Of course, he is worth more than that by today's market standards, and would have every right to play hardball with the team and push the cap hit more towards $9M. But I just don't see PK as a guy that is all about the money, and I can see him buying into the team concept with the whole idea of matching Price's remaining 4 years and having the "sexy" $7.6M number on his cap hit, etc. I can see PK taking a "hometown discount" per the deal parameters I've laid out. He wants to win. He knows we have better odds of winning with a lower cap hit to him, and I can honestly see him putting that as a priority, even though he for sure can get a lot more money if he really wanted it.

Deluded Puck

Jun 17, 2013
London, UK
My contract offer stands:

Back-loaded 8 year deal that keeps his salary tied with Carey for the next 4 years, then increments thereafter... $6.75-7-7-7-8-8-8.4-8.65M for a $7.6M cap hit. Nice and tidy.

Of course, he is worth more than that by today's market standards, and would have every right to play hardball with the team and push the cap hit more towards $9M. But I just don't see PK as a guy that is all about the money, and I can see him buying into the team concept with the whole idea of matching Price's remaining 4 years and having the "sexy" $7.6M number on his cap hit, etc. I can see PK taking a "hometown discount" per the deal parameters I've laid out. He wants to win. He knows we have better odds of winning with a lower cap hit to him, and I can honestly see him putting that as a priority, even though he for sure can get a lot more money if he really wanted it.

Agree, and not only that, because of his charisma & personality, he has the advantage of being able to make more money outside of the game compared to his peers.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
I don't know why people just assume Subban is some sort of greedy player that will destroy the Habs salary wise. He took 2.8M bridge contract even though a lot of people knew he was worth more and he was proven 24+min D already. Look at ROR who was never close to accepting the bridge contract offer and signed an offer sheet for example, no one talks about him taking the Avs to the max...

He didn't accept it, so much as Bergevin forced it on him by refusing to budge, thus prompting Subban to miss seven games. He opted to take the deal only to avoid damaging his career. So I wouldn't say him wanting the bank is being greedy. Frankly, we owe him it.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
He didn't accept it, so much as Bergevin forced it on him by refusing to budge, thus prompting Subban to miss seven games. He opted to take the deal only to avoid damaging his career. So I wouldn't say him wanting the bank is being greedy. Frankly, we owe him it.
Yup. We ripped him off last time. I'd have no problem if he wants to factor that in.

Still think we'll see 8 x 8 or 8 x 8.5 though. Any less and he's being extremely charitable. And these playoffs have done nothing but drive his value up. Even last night with him not getting any points he was out there trying to make things happen. He's worth every dime and I'd pay him more if we had to and so would any other team in the league.

Entering his prime, Norris in his early 20s, great in the playoffs, cap going up, arguably the best player in our lineup with or ahead of Price...

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
218px-PK_Subban_-_Off_Ice_NYC.jpg

Subban and Markov ftw. Gorges is a glorified bottom pairing guy.

Why does dd play with our best and Subby with our worst?

$8m x 8yrs should do it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad