Salary Cap: Subban negotiations

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
This is a funny tweet but pertinent in Subban negotiations...

Gord Miller ‏@GMillerTSN · 10m
A GM pointed to a borderline player and said to his superstar "If you want $10 million, you'll be passing to him the rest of your career."

You give 8 years to Subban but hint that leaving a bit on the table would allow him to have better teammates down the road=home town discount.

odishabs

Aug 29, 2008
Kessel contract, 8 million for 8 years...any less and Subban is a god send and bless his soul lol

PricePkPatch*

Kessel contract, 8 million for 8 years...any less and Subban is a god send and bless his soul lol

I suspect Subban wants an honest and solid contract. He doesn't want to feel short-changed, but he's not looking to break the bank.

IF (knock on wood) he wins the Conn Smyth trophy, for example.. I think 9-9.5 might be honest and solid.

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
Subban loves MTL and the attention that comes with it.

I call 8-8.5 Mill X 8 years.

And I am totally fine with that. ESPECIALLY since the cap will be going up each year.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
I understand and agree with the general idea of OP, that said I'll be SHOCKED if he signs for less than 8millions. And even that would be more than fair from him given the taxation here!

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
The agent Subban is associated with virtually ensures that he will get full market value.

The issue is which other moves are impacted by Subban's dollars. But that's the cart. The horse needs to be signed first.

_vivelequebec_

Mar 5, 2007
Montréal
I understand and agree with the general idea of OP, that said I'll be SHOCKED if he signs for less than 8millions. And even that would be more than fair from him given the taxation here!

Yeah well the taxation ain't that bad and since he's getting paid in USD he has a slight advantage there.

I think 8 years 8 millions makes sense.

3low5*

I honestly think Subban is more valuable than Kessel so if he gets the same contract I am golden!

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I honestly think Subban is more valuable than Kessel so if he gets the same contract I am golden!
No disrespect to Kessel who is a great player but Subban is absolutely better. 8 x 8 and PK is leaving money on the table. That's what I think he'll sign for.
I think we will be lucky if he signs for that and doesn't request more.
He's definitely worth more. I just think he'll sign for the 8. Cross your fingers.

lou4gehrig

Bedard 2023
Aug 2, 2005
Funny how people sit and look at a number like $8M per and say that's okay but $10M is overpaid and the GM is a moron. When in reality that $2M per year means little in the grand scheme of things and the salary cap could easily fluctuate $2M in any direction for a given season. $2M is what a 4th line grinder fighter or a bottom pairing D gets paid. It really doesn't mean you'll be playing with no one versus playing with a team full of all-stars.

The other reality is that there are too many NHL teams and not enough elite players. So with the cap going up and up and up, the amount of extra, unused cap space each season will be staggering. Just sign PK to whatever is necessary, be happy and stop trying to get a discount.

K1ng0fthecastl3

May 16, 2014
NY
He's definitely worth more. I just think he'll sign for the 8. Cross your fingers.[/QUOTE]

I agree with that and I think we will be lucky to get him for 8

Church

The last lion
Mar 26, 2010
Montreal, QC
Subban is not the flavor of the month. He's the real deal. He's not perfect but he has a strong work ethic, the best personality you could think of and a passion for what he does.

Sign him for whatever amount as long as its long term.

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
Funny how people sit and look at a number like $8M per and say that's okay but $10M is overpaid and the GM is a moron. When in reality that $2M per year means little in the grand scheme of things and the salary cap could easily fluctuate $2M in any direction for a given season. $2M is what a 4th line grinder fighter or a bottom pairing D gets paid. It really doesn't mean you'll be playing with no one versus playing with a team full of all-stars.

The other reality is that there are too many NHL teams and not enough elite players. So with the cap going up and up and up, the amount of extra, unused cap space each season will be staggering. Just sign PK to whatever is necessary, be happy and stop trying to get a discount.

Agreed, especially with the cap going up into the 80 + Million in the next 5-7 years.

Having 12-15 % of that invested in arguably the best D-Man in the league is fine.

Don't worry, Habs will get Subban signed in between 8-10 Million a year for 8 years.

He is here to stay.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Leaf fan here. If you can get Subban at 8 mil take it and run. His market value is skyrocketing. He could easily get 9 - 9.5 mil a year. 10 mil isn't out the question either.

Gary320

Feb 21, 2009
I'm at the point where any contract that is over 5 years is good enough for me.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
This is a funny tweet but pertinent in Subban negotiations...

Gord Miller ‏@GMillerTSN · 10m
A GM pointed to a borderline player and said to his superstar "If you want $10 million, you'll be passing to him the rest of your career."

You give 8 years to Subban but hint that leaving a bit on the table would allow him to have better teammates down the road=home town discount.

Do you think it was Bergevin?

Looking at the UFA and RFA list is dont see anyone else who could ask 10M.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad