Post-Game Talk (GBU): Straight trash homie

Tyler2829

Jun 20, 2009
Rochester, NY
The more I think about the fact that punk may have ended Kyle's career and nobody on our team had the balls to respond and we just rolled over and died, the angrier I get. None of our fake tough guys (and you know who I'm referring to) could be bothered to do anything. Total disgrace.

He squared up all on his own and was more than willing to drop em. I'm sure this board would've been really happy with somebody getting a penalty for retaliating.

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I'm not gonna bother with a g or b, but this U:

I don't like housley much as a coach, but he's not the one who traded a 1B/2A center for "good depth players" and then, after berglund peaced out, decided it would be fine to have our 2/3 centers be an overmatched 19 year old and one of the 10 worst players in the entire league.

Botts' other great hits include:
-Acquiring Conor Sheary, who has largely been ineffective offensively and bad defensively, with a cap dump attached
-Taking on Pominville as a cap dump and not buying him out and replacing him with a more effective depth winger when he's clearly shot
-Refusing to assign Tage to Rochester even though he's 100% not ready for the NHL right now
-And, most infuriatingly, having the stubbornness, stupidity, or arrogance to do nothing to upgrade the team and let the season go to **** after the 10 game win streak. they basically just had to be average and go .500 from then on to get into the playoffs.

Apparently achieving success isn't part of the player development plan this year.

But hey, once it's on Botts' precious "timeline" to start winning, then look out, league! It definitely won't be a problem that none of the young vets on our roster have experienced any kind of sustained success (outside of the streak) since they've joined this tire fire of an organization.

BuffaloGooner

Sep 8, 2011
Sloan, NY
I’ve been on Team Botts but he’s losing me. I won’t reiterate the issues the organization has as stated throughout this thread. He hasn’t been proactive so far. How can we go on a 10 game win streak, sit first in the league for a week, and then proceed to do NOTHING? Upgrade the roster. We have black holes littered throughout the lineup and nothing was ever done about it.

I know it isn’t the 70s, but seeing Okposo get one punched (hope he’s ok) and the team not responding to it was Lucic/Miller levels infuriating. You have a leader on the team, a guy with known health issues that shouldn’t be fighting to begin with get wrecked quickly in a fight and nobody comes out the next shift and makes it hard on the other team? Really? Nobody was pissed seeing Okposo woozy. That’s rather alarming. This team is soft, physically and mentally.

Not sure really where to go from here. TDL is coming up and at least we’ll have 3 firsts...

Reactions: sabremike

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

I don't like housley much as a coach, but he's not the one who traded a 1B/2A center for "good depth players" and then, after berglund peaced out, decided it would be fine to have our 2/3 centers be an overmatched 19 year old and one of the 10 worst players in the entire league.

-Acquiring Conor Sheary, who has largely been ineffective offensively and bad defensively, with a cap dump attached
-Taking on Pominville as a cap dump and not buying him out and replacing him with a more effective depth winger when he's clearly shot
-Refusing to assign Tage to Rochester even though he's 100% not ready for the NHL right now
-And, most infuriatingly, having the stubbornness, stupidity, or arrogance to do nothing to upgrade the team and let the season go to **** after the 10 game win streak. they basically just had to be average and go .500 from then on to get into the playoffs.

Apparently achieving success isn't part of the player development plan this year.

But hey, once it's on Botts' precious "timeline" to start winning, then look out, league! It definitely won't be a problem that none of the young vets on our roster have experienced any kind of sustained success (outside of the streak) since they've joined this tire fire of an organization.

For some of us, it goes beyond just this season. With the obvious issues, who of the few viable talents they have says something untoward this season and then "has to be traded"? Reinhart seems like the candidate, I'm sure the three bit-part morons and a draft pick Botts could pick up for him will make all the difference.

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
For some of us, it goes beyond just this season. With the obvious issues, who of the few viable talents they have says something untoward this season and then "has to be traded"? Reinhart seems like the candidate, I'm sure the three bit-part morons and a draft pick Botts could pick up for him will make all the difference.

I really hope we don't trade him for the Botts special-a protected first, a B prospect, and a cap dump-but I could see it happening.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Pegula is not on the ice, stop this nonsense.

Of course Darryl Katz has nothing to do with Edmonton's failures. And Ralph Wilson had nothing to do with a 17 year playoff drought. And Donald Sterling had absolutely nothing to with the embarrassment that the LA Clippers were. And Bill Wirtz in Chicago, and Harold Ballard in Toronto, and James Dolan in New York, and Mark Davis, and Bob Irsay and on and on.

what a terrible take that ownership doesn't matter. Terry Pegula hired a team president 10 minutes after meeting him. He let his wife make herself president without any experience whatsoever. He apparently had no idea there was any dysfunction in Tim Murray's management style until Tim refused to fire Dan Bylsma. He hired the clown Rex Ryan.

You can't win with inept ownership, not in a salary cap league.

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
The team is a reflection of its coach, his system, and utilization. Housley saying the team is soft is the equivalent of ROR’s “love of the game” comment. Your move GM Bobblehead.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Step away from the ledge, Sam isnt going anywhere.

What makes you say that? Is it the long term cost controlled contract he just signed?

Or that management wouldn’t trade a good prime aged player?

I’m not sure why it’s ledge worthy to think they might move Sam.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Reinhart is now better away from Eichel which is a major step. The Mittelstadt-Reinhart-Sheary line looked promising, would rather see CJ Smith or ERod in Sheary's spot on left wing.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Of course Darryl Katz has nothing to do with Edmonton's failures. And Ralph Wilson had nothing to do with a 17 year playoff drought. And Donald Sterling had absolutely nothing to with the embarrassment that the LA Clippers were. And Bill Wirtz in Chicago, and Harold Ballard in Toronto, and James Dolan in New York, and Mark Davis, and Bob Irsay and on and on.

what a terrible take that ownership doesn't matter. Terry Pegula hired a team president 10 minutes after meeting him. He let his wife make herself president without any experience whatsoever. He apparently had no idea there was any dysfunction in Tim Murray's management style until Tim refused to fire Dan Bylsma. He hired the clown Rex Ryan.

You can't win with inept ownership, not in a salary cap league.

That’s all coincidence.

It’s the players fault. On the ice. And Reinhart sucks.

Oh wait is this not the time to make bad points????

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
The Good:

Skinner finding a way to generate goals.

The Bad:

Can't say enough about how terrible Scandella's play has been and how much he needs to not be in the lineup.
Ullmark's misplay.
Puck luck.

The Ugly:

So the lip service paid to "culture" and "accountability" clearly has no actual bearing on the roster composition. After a night like this, where vet players are directly responsible for goals against, there is no recourse. Phil goes back to the same combos, the same players time and again. He's tunnel visioning on specific people in specific roles and it isn't working. Botts continues to "evaluate", pissing away yet another year of Eichel, and just making no progress.

Okposo clearly having to psych himself up to get into the clench with D'Angelo and clearly losing that fight terribly. I hope he is okay, not just soon but in the future. I've had my own issues with TBI's and it's terrifying what it can do to your mind and function.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Notes from a Rangers fan

1. You guys did a very good job of shutting down our top line, which has been borderline unstoppable lately (Zibanejad had an xGF% of 15, for example)
2. Analytically, you did a very good job against pretty much everyone but the DeAngelo-Shattenkirk pair, which (by xG at least) was dominant, especially DeAngelo
3. Bad puck luck happens, and it's pretty rare to find a game where you get screwed over that badly, b/t Thompson's shot not going in and the bounce on goal 5 for Ullmark.
4. Dahlin and Eichel are a treat to watch
5. Those talking about how nobody retaliated for DeAngelo beating Okposo are coming across as rather silly(?). Okposo hit Zuccarello from behind, sending him head first into the boards. DeAngelo had every right to challenge Okposo to that fight, and Okposo had every right to turn it down. He didn't. DeAngelo beat him, then immediately went into the penalty box, no taunting or anything. And yet:

"someone should have ****ing careered him tonight. **** him and here's to hoping someone careers him soon." toomuchsauce.
"Next year when we play them go out and find the baddest mother****er in the LNAH, give him a one day contract and tell him to grab the guy and turn his face into hamburger." sabremike.

Is there something that happened that I missed?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Is it too late to start a tank thread? When do we start hoping for an L over a W?

I'm not there. At this point, it'll be another 8th overall, right in the pocket for fallers who don't mature or reaches that don't justify the pick or guys who get ruined in development. Unless the pingpong balls come up Huge, err Hughes.

Reactions: Grinder81

OkimLom

May 3, 2010

All of that is cancelled out when you factor in him trading for Skinner and he acquired 1st round picks and he made moves that impacted Rochester. In fact, I would saying he’s doing a fantastic job...

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
I think the issue is the roster more than coaching.

Here’s an exercise. List the top 10 players on this team. It gets hard.

1. Eichel
2. Skinner/Reinhart
3. Skinner/Reinhart
4. Dahlin

Who fills out the last 6 spots?

Reactions: Willgamesh

Willgamesh

Jan 31, 2019
I think the issue is the roster more than coaching.

Here’s an exercise. List the top 10 players on this team. It gets hard.

1. Eichel
2. Skinner/Reinhart
3. Skinner/Reinhart
4. Dahlin

Who fills out the last 6 spots?
Casey, E rod, Larry, Girgs, Risto, Pilut. Yikes. Not to mention those players have to carry Sobo Scandella etc.

Buff15Sabres

Mar 23, 2017
Notes from a Rangers fan

1. You guys did a very good job of shutting down our top line, which has been borderline unstoppable lately (Zibanejad had an xGF% of 15, for example)
2. Analytically, you did a very good job against pretty much everyone but the DeAngelo-Shattenkirk pair, which (by xG at least) was dominant, especially DeAngelo
3. Bad puck luck happens, and it's pretty rare to find a game where you get screwed over that badly, b/t Thompson's shot not going in and the bounce on goal 5 for Ullmark.
5. Those talking about how nobody retaliated for DeAngelo beating Okposo are coming across as rather silly(?). Okposo hit Zuccarello from behind, sending him head first into the boards. DeAngelo had every right to challenge Okposo to that fight, and Okposo had every right to turn it down. He didn't. DeAngelo beat him, then immediately went into the penalty box, no taunting or anything. And yet:

"someone should have ****ing careered him tonight. **** him and here's to hoping someone careers him soon." toomuchsauce.
"Next year when we play them go out and find the baddest mother****er in the LNAH, give him a one day contract and tell him to grab the guy and turn his face into hamburger." sabremike.

Kyle had a serious head injury combined with complications from meds that led to him being in the ICU for a while. With that sort of history he 100% should not be fighting anyone.

Okposo thanks fans following health scare

Some of our fans got a bit emotional and over-reacted with the hate on DeAngelo (and on the Sabres players for not interfering). If a guy accepts a 1 on 1 fight and gets rocked, that's on him.

Reactions: UnSandvich

Willgamesh

Jan 31, 2019
Notes from a Rangers fan

You're reading way much into some drunk guy rambling and ranting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad