Post-Game Talk (GBU): Straight trash homie

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I think the issue is the roster more than coaching.

Here’s an exercise. List the top 10 players on this team. It gets hard.

1. Eichel
2. Skinner/Reinhart
3. Skinner/Reinhart
4. Dahlin

Who fills out the last 6 spots?

1 - Dahlin
2 - Eichel
3 - Reinhart
4 - Skinner
5 - Ullmark
----------------
6 - Bogosian
7 - Larsson
8 - McCabe
9 - ummm.... Rodrigues
10 - uhhhh.... Pilut? Hutton?

Reactions: Gabrielor

Willgamesh

Jan 31, 2019
Other than the Dallas game, can you name a ****tier performance?

This was the coup de grace
Hawks game was pretty bad as well. Just complete dog shit play recently and falling further out of the standings no time left. Put up or shut up. Want playoffs? Win 2 games for every loss and get a few loser points or were toast.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Hawks game was pretty bad as well. Just complete dog **** play recently and falling further out of the standings no time left. Put up or shut up. Want playoffs? Win 2 games for every loss and get a few loser points or were toast.
You can just simplify this to the last two words of your post.

Reactions: Willgamesh

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Kyle had a serious head injury combined with complications from meds that led to him being in the ICU for a while. With that sort of history he 100% should not be fighting anyone.

Okposo thanks fans following health scare

Some of our fans got a bit emotional and over-reacted with the hate on DeAngelo (and on the Sabres players for not interfering). If a guy accepts a 1 on 1 fight and gets rocked, that's on him.
You're reading way much into some drunk guy rambling and ranting.

Fair nuff

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
What's wrong in Edmonton is Katz and what's wrong in Buffalo is the two headed beast Pegula.

If not for saving the Bills and the real estate development he'd be run out of town for what he's done with the Sabres.
You dont run an owner out who has billions and wants to keep the Sabres in Buffalo because the next owner that buys the Sabres may move the team or be penny pincher like Melnyk.

GameMisconduct

Jul 20, 2006
1 - Dahlin
2 - Eichel
3 - Reinhart
4 - Skinner
5 - Ullmark
----------------
6 - Bogosian
7 - Larsson
8 - McCabe
9 - ummm.... Rodrigues
10 - uhhhh.... Pilut? Hutton?
I agree, that shows the weaknesses of the roster (and highlights how monumentally dumb the RoR trade was).

But I also think you can't divorce the roster from the usage of it. The coach far too often actively makes what he has to work with less effective than it should be.

Do an alternate ranking. Where would Scandella or Sobotka, etc rank by performance? How does that match up with how they're used?

Why do rookies with potential far too often get benched or buried when they get called up?

The coaching of this team reflects the thread title: Straight trash.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Can't tell if serious...

C’mon, I’ve been posting here for how long with the reputation I have for my posts...

But to answer your question, not serious at all. Not a fan of Botterill just based on his actions of what ailed the team when he showed up and what he did to correct them. I’m not even discussing what he did with the talent level of the team.

This team needed a guy that had a record of teaching guys to win and bring in a set of organizational standards players would have to meet. He goes and hires a rookie head coach at the professional level. He went with the “I think he can teach” route instead of the “here’s evidence he’s a good teacher” route. He put all his chips in the hope of Housley becoming something while he learns to be a head coach.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
You dont run an owner out who has billions and wants to keep the Sabres in Buffalo because the next owner that buys the Sabres may move the team or be penny pincher like Melnyk.

No, but at some point he needs to have hockey people in charge of the team.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
C’mon, I’ve been posting here for how long with the reputation I have for my posts...

But to answer your question, not serious at all. Not a fan of Botterill just based on his actions of what ailed the team when he showed up and what he did to correct them. I’m not even discussing what he did with the talent level of the team.

This team needed a guy that had a record of teaching guys to win and bring in a set of organizational standards players would have to meet. He goes and hires a rookie head coach at the professional level. He went with the “I think he can teach” route instead of the “here’s evidence he’s a good teacher” route. He put all his chips in the hope of Housley becoming something while he learns to be a head coach.

It was before my morning cup of joe. :D

Genny Screamer

Jul 11, 2017
Buffalo, NY

okposo should never fight

You can't question Okposo's work ethic and heart. All season he has worked hard, but things just aren't working out for him. He's has some moments on the 4th line, but all of that was from outworking his opposition. I give him so much credit from coming back from his ailment. He seems like such a good guy, but he might need to consider retirement. I just hope he has all his faculties when he finally walks away from the game. This was by far the ugliest part of the game.

Reactions: wunderpanda

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015
For the few people who are (inexplicably) sticking up for Anthony DeAngelo on here, don't worry about him - after his playing career ends, whenever that is, he's got the right qualifications to become the next Director of Hockey Operations for USA Hockey, so I'm sure he'll land on his feet.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
top 1o on our roster

Eichel
Dahlin
Reinhart
Skinner
Mittelstadt
Ullmark
Ristolainen
McCabe
Bogosian
Rodrigues/Pilut

MagnumForce2

Dec 16, 2011
I think alot of the problem is coaching. Its about motivating and teaching a team to compete every night and shift. Being able to recognize players strengths and flaws and then correcting these flaws. The corrective measures are done at practice. Practice is important because that is where the product is made that we see on the ice. You as a coach need to make mental notes or write down each players flaws, mistakes and address it to them individually the next day ( this lets your players know you are watching and paying attention to them). I dont think it is the lack of talent level on the team but more of how the talent is being utilized and motivated.

Last edited by a moderator:

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
This team had no real character or culture since 06/07.

I guess for the GM its alright to miss the playoffs because its before his timeline.
Housley and Botterill seem to be made for each other in their inability to react to change.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad