Post-Game Talk (GBU): Straight trash homie

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
I think alot of the problem is coaching. Its about motivating and teaching a team to compete every night and shift. Being able to recognize players strengths and flaws and then correcting these flaws. The corrective measures are done at practice. Practice is important because that is where the product is made that we see on the ice. You as a coach need to make mental notes or write down each players flaws, mistakes and address it to them individually the next day ( this lets your players know you are watching and paying attention to them). I dont think it is the lack if talent level on the team but more of how the talent is being utilized and motivated.

It's mostly teaching. I think everyone can relate to having bad teachers. Everything was a struggle, they were boring as turnips, and you didn't want to go to their class. And there were good teachers who made everything interesting and easy to understand. It wasn't necessarily that one subject was more difficult than the other.

Reactions: sabremike

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Kyle had a serious head injury combined with complications from meds that led to him being in the ICU for a while. With that sort of history he 100% should not be fighting anyone.

Okposo thanks fans following health scare

Some of our fans got a bit emotional and over-reacted with the hate on DeAngelo (and on the Sabres players for not interfering). If a guy accepts a 1 on 1 fight and gets rocked, that's on him.
Rangers fan here, coming in peace. Having said that, I always like Kyle when with the Isles, as much as I hated that team, I was pro KO.
Honestly had forgotten about his physical issues, and about the ugliness of that KO (no pun intended). I have to respect that he didn't back down, but wasn't really the smartest thing to do.

A Rangers player hasn't done that in a very long time, and we usually get our asses handed to us, yeah....."we are soft as well".....hopefully have turned a corner with new coach and "hard to play against, mentality". Playing "as a team" and sticking up for one another is paramount......even in this "soft" NHL (I am an old warrior, from back in the day).
Still, all in all......I pray KO, is OK. (Pun intended)

In regard to DeAngelo's "alleged" racist background.......he has issues, but believe that is behind him now and has seen therapy in past and coaching is "keeping a close eye on him". Has been benched but is a "beast" on the ice......good hockey play, not necessarily fighting. We all have made mistakes in judgment and with bad words coming out from our mouths. If you say you haven't......you're lying.

On a different note......really somewhat disappointed that a "striving to make the PO's Sabres team", didn't get the job done. I am having a difficult time in figuring out "just how bad" my team is. This didn't help matters.
Good luck moving forward.

sabresandcanucks

Jul 2, 2009
A couple thoughts,

• Eichel looks like he is playing at 50-70%, I suspect he is battling through some type of injury. This team simply doesn't have the scoring depth to absorb a drop in Eichel's play/production.
  • Is it me, or do our goaltenders get beat short side/wrap arounds quite a bit? Lehner over the past couple of years....Ullmark now. I'm wondering if this is a coaching issue.
  • The team generated chances but couldn't finish. Tag "The Torpedo" Thompson has to convert on one of those great looks, if he continues to struggle I'd like to see one of our AHL offensive players get a chance to play up with the big club.
  • We had better not trade Sam Reinhart, he is one of the few guys who...IMO...has elevated his game after a slow start. He still skates like trash, but his compete level and smarts make him a solid top six player on a team devoid of quality.

Reactions: hizzoner

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Hey guys, on the outside looking in........if things arent gping especially well, then why aren't they allowing Middlestadt to brew in the AHL? Rangers fans are disappointed in Andersson pick (not that there were obvious better choices) but at least he is where he needs to be right now, for any real hope.

Does Buffalo need him that badly right now?

Reactions: Smile Ivan

Willgamesh

Jan 31, 2019
Hey guys, on the outside looking in........if things arent gping especially well, then why aren't they allowing Middlestadt to brew in the AHL? Rangers fans are disappointed in Andersson pick (not that there were obvious better choices) but at least he is where he needs to be right now, for any real hope.

Yeah our C depth is shit since we traded RoR for garbage. And mitts has been playing pretty well recently i believe we are over his bad stretch early in the season and his development seems to be showing.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY

Our brilliant GM basically put us in a position where we had no choice but to depend on him by getting rid of our #2 center.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010

Quite honestly, I think him being in the NHL isn’t too bad. I think his development should’ve been focused on while at wing. Let him get up to speed without the responsibility of being the center on his line. He has the skill to play in the NHL. It has shown on the PP.

IMO he hasn’t shown the development I wanted to see. Outside his time with Reinhart, he hasn’t shown much at the NHL level. He’s shown flashes, but I feel like we haven’t seen anything close to his potential at any point this year.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

Our center depth is trash, but now isn't the time for that anyway. Mittelstadt didn't earn his place on the roster in training camp, but he finally put together a really strong, productive run of games before getting hurt. I would've had no problem with him starting the year in Rochester, but he's started earning his keep.

Reactions: Larrybiv

Yultron

Apr 18, 2017
G : Another year where they win the Stanley Cup of Moral Victories!

The rest? Who cares. Changing a coach every 2 years isn't gonna do anything. Players have to make plays.

Very true but we still need to find that solid coach. Talent is small yes but look at how Montreal has worked themselves out of the basement it’s because they have Claude Julien. Phil Housley could be a good coach one day but he isn’t right now and other only be a good defensive coach working with defenseman like we saw in Nashville .

The Sabres need someone like Joel Quenville or Sheldon Keefe someone with experience and has a proven track record of winning and developing players and while Keefe is a rookie coach he is only 39 and can grow with this young team and has won the Calder Cup in his age 38 season.

This team hasn’t won two games in a row in almost 3 months . Housley is as good as gone after the season

Reactions: MagnumForce2

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Notes from a Rangers fan

1. You guys did a very good job of shutting down our top line, which has been borderline unstoppable lately (Zibanejad had an xGF% of 15, for example)
2. Analytically, you did a very good job against pretty much everyone but the DeAngelo-Shattenkirk pair, which (by xG at least) was dominant, especially DeAngelo
3. Bad puck luck happens, and it's pretty rare to find a game where you get screwed over that badly, b/t Thompson's shot not going in and the bounce on goal 5 for Ullmark.
4. Dahlin and Eichel are a treat to watch
5. Those talking about how nobody retaliated for DeAngelo beating Okposo are coming across as rather silly(?). Okposo hit Zuccarello from behind, sending him head first into the boards. DeAngelo had every right to challenge Okposo to that fight, and Okposo had every right to turn it down. He didn't. DeAngelo beat him, then immediately went into the penalty box, no taunting or anything. And yet:

"someone should have ****ing careered him tonight. **** him and here's to hoping someone careers him soon." toomuchsauce.
"Next year when we play them go out and find the baddest mother****er in the LNAH, give him a one day contract and tell him to grab the guy and turn his face into hamburger." sabremike.

Is there something that happened that I missed?

Excellent take. All of it.

Royisgone

Mar 7, 2012
It's mostly teaching. I think everyone can relate to having bad teachers. Everything was a struggle, they were boring as turnips, and you didn't want to go to their class. And there were good teachers who made everything interesting and easy to understand. It wasn't necessarily that one subject was more difficult than the other.

The burden of education falls to the student, not the teacher.

Royisgone

Mar 7, 2012

I don't think Mittelstadt belongs in the AHL; he's a "tweener"...not ready for the NHL, would learn nothing in the AHL.

He's in the right place, but it would be crazy to expect much from him. He's not ready yet.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
I don't think Mittelstadt belongs in the AHL; he's a "tweener"...not ready for the NHL, would learn nothing in the AHL.

He's in the right place, but it would be crazy to expect much from him. He's not ready yet.
If he's not ready then he belongs in the A.

Reactions: Grinder81

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Yeah our C depth is **** since we traded RoR for garbage. And mitts has been playing pretty well recently i believe we are over his bad stretch early in the season and his development seems to be showing.
Oh thats good. Has lots of talent, or so i have heard. Good on him, good for Sabres. I suppose losing ROR really hurt huh? What was his deal? Didnt want to play in Buffalo.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Our brilliant GM basically put us in a position where we had no choice but to depend on him by getting rid of our #2 center.
Wow, keeping ROR would have had Mitts on 3rd line with less pressure i suppose. Sorry, dont really see too much of you guys.

Gordo21

Feb 9, 2017
Wow, keeping ROR would have had Mitts on 3rd line with less pressure i suppose. Sorry, dont really see too much of you guys.
Do you learn from less pressure though? I've seen real improvement with Mitts. I like him a lot moving forward. Not sure I know what I have if O'Reilly was eating his minutes.

I think the O'Reilly trade was more of an admission that we are still in full rebuild mode. Ist Rounder, Thompson, Berglund a player the kids could learn from.

I mean, did we expect an 18 year old Dahlin to win us a cup this year?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad