Confirmed Signing with Link: [STL] Tyler Bozak signs with the Blues (3 years, $5M AAV)

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Don’t know why my post offended you. Just saying it sucks they thought at one point to have a legitimate shot at JT but weren’t even considered.
I took it as snarky. If it wasn't meant that ways then apologies

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Let's just hope for your sake he brings that 7% shooting percentage ffrom this year back up to something not quite so awful.

Heritage

Jan 17, 2016
Halifax
Good luck to you In St. Louis Tyler!

Thanks for all the shoot out & face off wins

You guys in St. Louis will like him if he is slotted properly, and he is a very nice guy.

kyle n00bas

Dec 10, 2017
This went from a C to an A for me after the trade. He easily replaces Berglund.
Having watched every game of his NHL career, I can tell you that if replacing Berglund is all the Blues need Bozak to do, you guys will be more than happy with him.

I think some Leafs fans are overstating how poor he is at finishing. He was notorious for missing open nets this past season to the point that it just became comical near the end, but it isn't something I'd ever associated with him prior to that. It's possible he's in decline, I guess, but last season was a career low in shooting percentage for him and IMO it's unlikely he repeats that.

Last edited:
Reactions: thedustman

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
As a Leafs fan, I think you're overpaying Tyler by about 1M/year. That said, outside of his defensive weaknesses you'll find him to be a competent and productive member of your team who will add to the 'team' aspect and offers coverage of your 2C should injuries occur. Had we not got lucky with Tavares, I was willing to re-up Bozak for a 3 year term at around 3.5/4/yr. I wish him well in St Louis, he was a consistent player in Toronto and never one to rock the boat.

jboknows

Feb 9, 2010
Bozak contributed well during his time here in Toronto. He's not great defensively (but a lot of comments I've seen over the years about his deficiencies are exaggerated). He also isn't a great finisher (confusing given his shootout efficiency), so I hope blues fans don't think they're getting a legit goal scorer here. He is a smart player, very good passer, solid on the dot and seems to be well liked by everyone that has played with and coached him. $5M a year is too high for what he brings ($4.25 would be right, IMO), but he isn't a bad FA pickup at all. A little strange to spend that much and then trade for O'Reilly... but man, blues centre depth sure is solid now.

Reactions: ChickenMcNugget

ChickenMcNugget

Jun 20, 2014
Ontario, CA
I think jboknows summarized it very well. He's a very consistent hard working player. you can easily expect ~20g 45 pts with him. great on the dot and not bad defensively, all around good team mate. I think 15M is great value. I think he'll easily live up to that contract.

Thanks Tyler for your years of service to the leafs. Me and other leaf fans sincerely appreciate. I hope you enjoy success with the blues :)

Reactions: Halak Ness Monster

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Bozak was bad this season. He's really slowed down and lost his finish. Decent on the power play and a good shoot out guy, so hopefully he can have some production in St. Louis. Five million is steep for what he'll bring.

Halak Ness Monster

Nov 11, 2010
St. Louis, MO
This signing looks sooo much better than it did before the ROR trade.

I like Bozak. I liked the idea of trading for him in the past to help our center depth. I don't think the contract is outrageous. 3 years is good length. I hate going more than 3 years for most players over 30 years old. 5 million seems steep but Bozak is going to help our weaknesses(faceoffs and power play).

It's great that ROR pushes him down to being a luxury 3C but it's also great that Berglund's money was pretty much shifted to Bozak. That's why Blues fans are really happy. The logjam on the 3rd line is gone and money is being spent on more gifted offensive players.

Hallelujah!

Reactions: LetsGoBLUES91

slimbob8

Aug 11, 2016
Best of luck Bozak. You did everything and more that was asked of you in Toronto over the years and handled it like a pro the entire time.

StevenB

Oct 7, 2014
North York
If he signed with the leafs I’d say bozie got overpaid but for the blues this signing is okay. Bozak isn’t someone you want to be matching up against other teams first lines but offensively he’ll produce anywhere you put him. If you can afford to shelter him he’ll be good for you guys and expect 45-50 points out of him

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Love Bozak as the 3C, but Robert Thomas should be there. Out of ROR, Schenn, Bozak and Thomas, I think Thomas is going to be the best of the bunch eventually. Either Bozak or Thomas might need to be moved to wing for now, just not sure which one.

Prince N

Nov 18, 2014
Bozak is a champ...best of luck...Blues fans...Bozak will do well... Always been around a 50pt player

Xanner

Aug 2, 2009
Bozak is a good 3rd line center, he is great in the shootout, he has his issues but i think there somewhat overblown, i don't know how anyone can look at this deal as a bad deal, its low risk at a 3 year term and 5 mill is what i believe will be the minimum for a 3rd line center moving forward, good deal by the blues.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
One of the worst defensive centres i've seen in recent years. Not as bad as JVR defensively, but very close. Aside from that, his other fatal flaw is puck possession; he cannot win a board battle to save his life. To his credit, his ineptitude on the forecheck was magnified because his winger, JVR, was just as bad at puck retrieval.

Extremely good in the shootout, like might have one of the better percentages among active players. Terrific in the dot as a rare right handed centre. Everything else about his game is average at best. Glad to see him leave but he was a soldier for the organization and proved to be one of the best free wallet college signings ever. Heavily shelter him and I think he could be alright (will never live up to 5 mill), but at the same time he won't have JVR/Kessel to feast off for points. Should be interesting to see how he does on a defence-first club.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
One of the worst defensive centres i've seen in recent years. Not as bad as JVR defensively, but very close. Aside from that, his other fatal flaw is puck possession; he cannot win a board battle to save his life. To his credit, his ineptitude on the forecheck was magnified because his winger, JVR, was just as bad at puck retrieval.

Extremely good in the shootout, like might have one of the better percentages among active players. Terrific in the dot as a rare right handed centre. Everything else about his game is average at best. Glad to see him leave but he was a soldier for the organization and proved to be one of the best free wallet college signings ever. Heavily shelter him and I think he could be alright (will never live up to 5 mill), but at the same time he won't have JVR/Kessel to feast off for points. Should be interesting to see how he does on a defence-first club.
I could see Bozak in between Steen and Thomas. Steen is very good defensively and Thomas played a good 200 foot game. This would free up Bozak from heavy responsibilities and let him focus on what he does better. It will also remove defensive pressures from his game. I see him doing well here.

Reactions: 95

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad