Confirmed Signing with Link: [STL] Tyler Bozak signs with the Blues (3 years, $5M AAV)

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Ror-schenn-bozak down the middle is pretty good. I would worry about schenn who is ok and bozak is below average in there own end. Buttt stl has good two way wingers and dman up the wazooo. I will defs keep an eye on the blues this year.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
It's not all that surprising that Bozak isn't doing great with St. Louis, it's the same type of situation as Brassard in Pittsburgh. Both of those guys should be used like offensive 2nd line centers, they're not well suited at all to be used as defensive 3Cs.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
If Blues retain .75 to 1M of his salary. He would provide good insurance down the middle for a contending play off team. Perhaps Boston, Winnipeg, Buffalo?

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
It's not all that surprising that Bozak isn't doing great with St. Louis, it's the same type of situation as Brassard in Pittsburgh. Both of those guys should be used like offensive 2nd line centers, they're not well suited at all to be used as defensive 3Cs.
Yeah, but on the Pens say he was reunited with Kessel. As a 3rd line facing weaker defensive pairings. It would be an intriguing line up the Pens would ice. Bozak at 5 is a hard sell, at 4 he could be a viable player given how he is used without the expectaion of playing #1 or #2 in the line up. I am a believer when you play a player in the right situation they will look better.

Reactions: uncleben

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
Not sure who he's playing with but he always had one or two of Kessel/JVR/Marner on his line in Toronto. This is how he put up points.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Bozak isn't good enough offensively to be a #2 and too terrible defensively to be a reliable #3. His entire career is based off of playing with Phil and racking up PP points in his contract year. I'm shocked anyone gave him 5m per season.

Reactions: MB11 and orby

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Not sure who he's playing with but he always had one or two of Kessel/JVR/Marner on his line in Toronto. This is how he put up points.

A mixture of Maroon/Steen/Sanford/Thomas.

Not doing great.

Lacks finishing touch alot it seems. Is fine defensively, but I don't know if it's realistic to say that about anyone given this teams ability to completely fold early in games and give up 7 spots.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
A mixture of Maroon/Steen/Sanford/Thomas.

Not doing great.

Lacks finishing touch alot it seems. Is fine defensively, but I don't know if it's realistic to say that about anyone given this teams ability to completely fold early in games and give up 7 spots.

Yeah, the finishing has always been below average. It's nothing new. He had one season where he fluffed multiple empty net chances to the point it became hilarious.

But he was always a solid PP player. So that's odd.

He generally knows how to play with stars (where they get all the attention). It might be the case where this linemates are closer to him in skill and that's closing down his time and space in the offensive zone.

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
Bozak, like JVR did a very good job fulfilling their specialized niches in Toronto the past couple years... and that is the problem. These guys were role players, not stars. Don't get me wrong, Bozak was very good at his role; exploiting secondary powerplay mismatches, winning face-offs and leveraging the most of limited ice time, but he just isn't a primary core player. The Blues payed him like one... at age 32.

Reactions: MB11 and uncleben

Jay haller

Oct 22, 2017
Bozak, like JVR did a very good job fulfilling their specialized niches in Toronto the past couple years... and that is the problem. These guys were role players, not stars. Don't get me wrong, Bozak was very good at his role; exploiting secondary powerplay mismatches, winning face-offs and leveraging the most of limited ice time, but he just isn't a primary core player. The Blues payed him like one... at age 32.

That’s like all but let’s say 15-30 super high end nhlers.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Who knew not having JVR and Marner and Kessel previously would reduce his point totals.
Yeah I dont think anyone thought he'd continue putting up points without those guys. He was always a passenger type who got the job done but we always knew he was a top 6 center more due to default considering how atrocious the Leafs center depth was for so long. Hes just kinda mediocre at everything. Nothing wrong with that but he doesn't bring enough to the table. Many of us said it well before he hit free agency that he should thanking Kessel and JVR every day for getting as far as he has and cashing in on it.

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
Yeah I dont think anyone thought he'd continue putting up points without those guys. He was always a passenger type who got the job done but we always knew he was a top 6 center more due to default considering how atrocious the Leafs center depth was for so long. Hes just kinda mediocre at everything. Nothing wrong with that but he doesn't bring enough to the table. Many of us said it well before he hit free agency that he should thanking Kessel and JVR every day for getting as far as he has and cashing in on it.
Not exactly, in fact he is more of a very specialized player in a lot of ways. He is quite good at face-offs, shootouts and a pretty decent passer. He is acceptable being a secondary playmaker on a powerplay as well. His shooting is rather meh, his defense is quite poor and his skating has declined with age.
That’s like all but let’s say 15-30 super high end nhlers.
Not really, Bozak and especially JVR played extremely specialized roles on the Leafs. Bozak was relied on to win face-offs, particularly in the offensive zone, serve as a secondary playmaker on the 2nd powerplay (which became the 1st unit) and score in the shootout. He wasn't looked to to log any real defensive stops. JVR was even more specialized; basically he was the big body in close on the powerplay there to score in close (which he did exceptionally well) and played extremely little time at even strength or on the PK.

These guys were utilized in a way more specialized manner then your average NHL player, and they excelled at their niches. The issue is now their new teams are trying to use them in a wider verity of situations, and overall putting more responsibility on them, and Bozak at least is having trouble adjusting to such usage.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->