Confirmed Signing with Link: [STL] Tyler Bozak signs with the Blues (3 years, $5M AAV)

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
I followed the Leafs through Bozak's entire career and had an idea but was never 100% sure of what he was because he was an undrafted college free-agent who lucked into vacant roles without internal competition and had never played in any other organization to give us context.

We were so many times frustrated by his hands of stone that it was impossible to see him as any kind of scoring threat, let alone a top-six centre at all. Yet, two or three times a year he would dazzle us with speed on a breakaway and score, even short-handed, looking like the second coming of Howie Morenz.

He seemed to be ever-present, suggesting reliability and good work ethic, yet at the same time he hung closely with Kessel when the attitude and work-ethic of both was viewed with a jaundiced and suspicious eye, and later without Kessel, Bozak and JVR were both felt to be very weak defensively for the Leafs. He and Kessel might well have been unfairly maligned.

As his last contract drew to a close Leafs Nation sometimes wondered what the Leafs would do for centre depth without him, and at the same time fully expected that team defence would improve if Bozak and JVR were replaced with younger, hungrier players who fully commit to defence and play just as hard at both ends of the ice.

Then along came John Tavares and the World changed for the Leafs. Matthews-Kadri-Bozak became Matthews-Tavares-Kadri. There is no comparison to be made.

For all the mountains of money spent by MLSE, I doubt there was $77-million of it that was ever better spent.

John Tavares and Tyler Ennis, for a combined $11,650,000 (or Tavares and any other Leafs forward that you care to name) make the Leafs infinitely better than JVR and Bozak at the same combined $12,000,000.

Not missing Bozie yet, but best wishes to a truly good guy and his young family wherever they go.

IMHO.

Last edited:
Reactions: heybuddyhowyadoing

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Meh, i think a lot of his poor season is due to bad luck. Lowest oish% since his sophmore season, and lowest sh% of his career.

It was a bad deal because he's not overly good, but he's a lot better of a player than he's been.

Reactions: Mork

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
As a Blues fan, I was pretty "meh" about the Bozak signing in the summer. Now, I think it was a mistake.

jasonleaffan

Dec 7, 2008
Toronto
If you want Bozak to put up points, have him first line center with topline wingers. Otherwise, get used to the fact that your scouting department didn't do their do diligence.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
If you want Bozak to put up points, have him first line center with topline wingers. Otherwise, get used to the fact that your scouting department didn't do their do diligence.

I’m sure they understood what they were getting for the most part. You have to understand prior to the ROR trade our second line center was Patrick Berglund. We really didn’t have much of a choice after Tavares wouldn’t talk with us about coming here. I’m sure the ideology behind Bozak was that he was a RHS, which our top 9 sorely lacked as well as PP, and he could switch to right wing if Thomas needed a larger role.

Deuce Awesome

Feb 23, 2010
Well 5 mill actually isn't a horrible contract these days. The term wasn't bad either. I actually figured he might get a longer contract.

He was the go to guy on shootouts, you would think he was a perennial Art Ross candidate on those things.

My memory of him here was a guy brought in for free when things were just terrible. Last place, no prospects, no draft picks. He was a good top 6 guy on a bad team. He never really screwed up out there but rarely stood out in a flashy way either.

I guess you could say he is the forward equivalent of a good #4 stay at home defenceman. Just does his job quietly and never makes the highlight reel.

Reactions: Mork

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
The problem for Bozak at this point is he's not really suited for any type of defensive responsibility and therefore isn't great for 4th line duties however he's not really that good enough offensively to carry his own line and therefore can struggle in 3rd line duties.

If he's placed on the 3rd line with some offensive wingers, he can put up some numbers. The problem here lies in the fact that that line will always suffer on defence.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
As a Blues fan, I was pretty "meh" about the Bozak signing in the summer. Now, I think it was a mistake.

Would the Blues do a Bozak (750K - 1.5M retained) for a 1st or 2nd rd pick. The more retention the higher the pick.

I could actually see a fit in Pittsburg reuniting him with Kessel on the 3rd line.

Then the Pens would have Crosby, Malkin, and Kessel spread out over 3 lines. It would create a mismatch for opposing coaches.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Bozak has been fine. The whole Blues team has been a trainwreck. Down years by many of their core guys.

Reactions: CPTN71

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Bozak was always going to be a bleh signing. Outside of faceoffs (which seemed to be hit and miss)
and shootouts.... he really doesn't bring much to justify anything over a 4mil contract.

He's one of the most Okay hockey players.

He really should reunite with Phil somewhere.... wonder if that's destined to be Seattle's top line?

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Bozak had top PP time, top offensive minutes alongside Kessel, JVR, Lupul (in his one good season), Marner, etc, mostly high offensive zone starts, etc for years and years, and only topped 50 points once. Typically guys put into those situations would put up ~55-65+ points fairly regularly. He's also never shown an ability to play tough minutes in a match-up role.

Bozak just isn't a guy that can drive offence. On the Leafs, he was always more of a passenger on those lines playing above his head. No surprise that when he's moved onto a line mostly playing with guys like Maroon, Thomas, etc, that his point totals drop even further.

I'm not saying Bozak's a bad player, just that you have to consider the context in which he was putting up his ~45 point seasons. If he's playing on a 3rd line (which is where he should be playing), expectations should be ~35 points. He's an ok, but not great 3rd line C.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Would the Blues do a Bozak (750K - 1.5M retained) for a 1st or 2nd rd pick. The more retention the higher the pick.

I could actually see a fit in Pittsburg reuniting him with Kessel on the 3rd line.

Then the Pens would have Crosby, Malkin, and Kessel spread out over 3 lines. It would create a mismatch for opposing coaches.
Absolutely! (At least for me).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad