Confirmed Signing with Link: [STL] Pat Maroon signs with STL (1 year, $1.75M)

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
If it's 1.7 million for 1 year.... lol

Another contract that would cement how terrible the Beagle and Roussel contracts are.

Niten Ichi Ryu

Jul 1, 2018
Maroon is a fan favourite, all heart type of player. Big body that he utilizes well, surprisingly soft hands and has proved the ability to play with the best players in the league, and succeed.
Fun Fact: McDavid, obviously has been the highest selling Oilers jersey in Edmonton since 2015. They had Hall, Eberle, RNH, Draisaitl, Nurse, Talbot. The 2nd highest selling jersey in Edmonton since 2015? Patrick Maroon

St. Louis is going to love him, he'll give it his all every single night, fulfilling his lifelong dream of playing for his hometown. I hope you break your personal records, Big Rig

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Gotta love drama over inconsequential players. Stay tuned, will the Blues be claiming someone off waivers!? Meanwhile, Perron was nearly a point per game last season and quietly signed one of the best contracts that I can remember in free agency.

It's freaking Maroon, stop trying to be the first to break a story. You could report Maroon signed after playing his first game. No one cares.

For the record, I care and I'm sure I'm not the only person. What I don't care about is your arrogant opinion. Your post reeks of insecurity.

And reading your follow up posts, it's obvious you have nothing useful to say.

Last edited:

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
The Blues top 9 is already filled. Is Maroon going to be on the 4th line?

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Blues are going to be very good if Allen and Johnson can handle duties between the pipes

Reactions: OSA

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Any team that needs to use Maroon on their first line would be thankful that any of the players on their team have played hockey before. We're trying to be a "real team." Hence, we just unloaded Berglund and Sobotka. Players we desperately wanted to get rid of, but would be HUGE improvements for New Jersey and Edmonton.

Not every team can be good. Part of being good, though, is not having bums on your team. Few things are more detrimental to a team on the cusp of being good than creating a log jam where marginal veterans block promising prospects from playing.

I mostly agree with you about Maroon, but a post like this is making me reconsider my position. You come across as arrogant and ignorant as all hell. We are a REAL team but New Jersey isn't? How come we missed the playoffs and Jersey didn't. Blues fans have zero room to be arrogant about the success of their team. We made some good off-season moves, but we aren't a cup winner yet and we may never be.

SC2GM

May 16, 2016
I mostly agree with you about Maroon, but a post like this is making me reconsider my position. You come across as arrogant and ignorant as all hell. We are a REAL team but New Jersey isn't? How come we missed the playoffs and Jersey didn't. Blues fans have zero room to be arrogant about the success of their team. We made some good off-season moves, but we aren't a cup winner yet and we may never be.

Keyword was "trying." A real team, while a bad choice of words, doesn't have players with a career high of 40 points playing on the first line. I wouldn't be so worked up if the Blues had won even one cup. I also wouldn't be so worked up if these GMs didn't make an expansion team reach a round that the Blues have never reached in my life. Surprise, I'm not giving any of these guys the benefit of the doubt...

There is no arrogance on my part about the Blues. We have the biggest loser in the entire NHL slotted to be our starting goalie. And, every off season now, we're having to try to unload drastically overpaid, under performing players. We can't keep relying on charity from other teams, fortunate circumstances, and we can't keep paying assets, such as first rounders, for people to take our stupid freaking blunders, that everyone in the world knew was a mistake when the contract was signed (expect the GM).

The easiest way to buck the trend/pattern is to stop signing questionable players. If you don't sign them in the first place then you can't over pay them. Maroon isn't some magical missing piece to a cup. If I don't want David Backes back, then I sure don't want Maroon.

Getting rid of Berglund made our team better. Berglund still has the potential to reach 50 points again, in my eyes. And, he's solid on defense. To me, getting rid of Berglund sets the bar. If a player isn't, at least, better than Berglund -- I don't want him. Let's actually try to get better, not worse or make lateral moves.

We're a Mark Stone and a Husso - that does well and is given the starting job - away from being in contention for winning the cup. Our team has the potential to be so much better than any other salary cap era version. But, if we start focusing more on "the intangibles," then we're screwed. Nothing will change.

It's like trying to win a beauty contest through personality instead of beauty. I'd rather win hockey games via scoring more, rather than trying to see if the refs will give us some points for being tough guys who can watch the Lion King without crying.

Last edited:

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
What are these last few tweets about? Blocked at work...

One is andy strickland and the other is Jeremy Rutherford, both blues beat writers saying the same thing. Strickland says as of last night nothing changed with maroon, blues, coyotes and devils remain interested

Rutherford says maroon agent says no decision has been made, blues strong option but other teams still in mix

Reactions: Em etah Eh

Kamus

Oct 21, 2005
Keyword was "trying." A real team, while a bad choice of words, doesn't have players with a career high of 40 points playing on the first line. I wouldn't be so worked up if the Blues had won even one cup. I also wouldn't be so worked up if these GMs didn't make an expansion team reach a round that the Blues have never reached in my life. Surprise, I'm not giving any of these guys the benefit of the doubt...

There is no arrogance on my part about the Blues. We have the biggest loser in the entire NHL slotted to be our starting goalie. And, every off season now, we're having to try to unload drastically overpaid, under performing players. We can't keep relying on charity from other teams, fortunate circumstances, and we can't keep paying assets, such as first rounders, for people to take our stupid freaking blunders, that everyone in the world knew was a mistake when the contract was signed (expect the GM).

The easiest way to buck the trend/pattern is to stop signing questionable players. If you don't sign them in the first place then you can't over pay them. Maroon isn't some magical missing piece to a cup. If I don't want David Backes back, then I sure don't want Maroon.

Getting rid of Berglund made our team better. Berglund still has the potential to reach 50 points again, in my eyes. And, he's solid on defense. To me, getting rid of Berglund sets the bar. If a player isn't, at least, better than Berglund -- I don't want him. Let's actually try to get better, not worse or make lateral moves.

We're a Mark Stone and a Husso - that does well and is given the starting job - away from being in contention for winning the cup. Our team has the potential to be so much better than any other salary cap era version. But, if we start focusing more on "the intangibles," then we're screwed. Nothing will change.

It's like trying to win a beauty contest through personality instead of beauty. I'd rather win hockey games via scoring more, rather than trying to see if the refs will give us some points for being tough guys who can watch the Lion King without crying.
If your getting maroon at 1.7 million that's a steal and exactly the type of deal Stanley cup winning teams make...

steinerecliner

May 15, 2018
Just going to wait and see what happens because we have two local reporters saying he hasn't made a decision as of yet and one guy saying he signed for 1.7 for a year with a possible talk in Jan. If we got Pat for 1.7 Million I would be very impressed with Doug because that is a steal. Thats only 700 Thousand more than we have guys like Jaskin and Maroon is way more of a player than him.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Maroon would be a good add for any team. If he goes to the Blues then that's another good signing for a team that's been having a good off-season thus far.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
He's turning down more money to be around his son more often. I really wanted him back with the Oilers but some things have greater importance. Gotta respect that.

Blues fans will love him.

What's the deal with his son? I've heard multiple times he will sign in St. Louis to be closer to his son. Is he no longer with his son's mom? Does he not have custody? He's giving up almost 2M to be closer to his son. Why not sign in Jersey or wherever for $3.5M and give the mom $1M to move there too? He'd walk away with $2.5M as opposed to the Blues $1.7, and he'd get good ice time on a team he knows he fits with (I know there are tax implications, but those can be worked out in a variety of ways). His next contract would be better as well rather than playing 4th line with the Blues. Lots of hockey players have kids elsewhere, but I don't remember one ever signing such a discounted deal from market to play for a team he never has played before.

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016
A few comments:

1) All three Blues writers who have talked about this are usually pretty reliable. Korac and JR are usually gold, Strickland is a bit iffy, but that’s what he has always been like since he was a high school hockey player.

2) Maroon actually hasn’t had a lifelong dream to play in STL. He actually had no desire to play here before.

3) He is not involved with the mother of his son at all. She has custody and the boy was not planned.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
What's the deal with his son? I've heard multiple times he will sign in St. Louis to be closer to his son. Is he no longer with his son's mom? Does he not have custody? He's giving up almost 2M to be closer to his son. Why not sign in Jersey or wherever for $3.5M and give the mom $1M to move there too? He'd walk away with $2.5M as opposed to the Blues $1.7, and he'd get good ice time on a team he knows he fits with (I know there are tax implications, but those can be worked out in a variety of ways). His next contract would be better as well rather than playing 4th line with the Blues. Lots of hockey players have kids elsewhere, but I don't remember one ever signing such a discounted deal from market to play for a team he never has played before.

You guys keep repeating this 4th line stuff, as if no Blues player will get injured all year long. Maroon will not play all season on the 4th line, just watch. I expect him to play more games in the top 9 somewhere than the 4th line. The lines NEVER work out as fans predict in the offseason.

And not sure why it's so hard to believe. He knows the city well. And not sure why you think it would be ok to just bribe his (I'm guessing) ex to uproot herself and her son just to be near him part of the year. Let's say he did sign with the Devils, he's on the road half the time anyway. That is a pretty selfish thought to expect the mother of his child to just pick up and move just to be close to him. Maybe you're on a lot better terms with your exes than I am.

It's his decision to make, not yours. Not everyone cares as much about money as you seem to.
You seem to be awfully interested in Maroon's private life, almost uncomfortably so. Maybe we don't need to be discussing his son and custody rights on a hockey forum, just a thought.

Reactions: The Note in MI

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
A few comments:

1) All three Blues writers who have talked about this are usually pretty reliable. Korac and JR are usually gold, Strickland is a bit iffy, but that’s what he has always been like since he was a high school hockey player.

2) Maroon actually hasn’t had a lifelong dream to play in STL. He actually had no desire to play here before.

3) He is not involved with the mother of his son at all. She has custody and the boy was not planned.

Are these supposed to invalidate the rumor he wants to sign in St Louis to be close to his son, because they have almost Zero relevance to anything that might be going through his head at this moment, from every account I have heard/read/watched he is full committed to be a good dad to his son, you can have a one night stand baby and still love the kid and want to be a great dad. Really just confused by those two points, I have no idea what you are say with them.

If your point is he wont take a hometown discount you may be correct, If I was him I would take the best offer I could because he may never see a decent contract again with his skill set. He is a solid player but not guaranteed to have a long career.

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016
Are these supposed to invalidate the rumor he wants to sign in St Louis to be close to his son, because they have almost Zero relevance to anything that might be going through his head at this moment, from every account I have heard/read/watched he is full committed to be a good dad to his son, you can have a one night stand baby and still love the kid and want to be a great dad. Really just confused by those two points, I have no idea what you are say with them.

If your point is he wont take a hometown discount you may be correct, If I was him I would take the best offer I could because he may never see a decent contract again with his skill set. He is a solid player but not guaranteed to have a long career.
Where did I say either of those things? You sound like posters at the asylum, taking what was actually posted and trying to turn it into something completely different.

Try reading my posts, and ones that came before it and don’t make assumptions or assign meanings, just read them.

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
Where did I say either of those things? You sound like posters at the asylum, taking what was actually posted and trying to turn it into something completely different.

Try reading my posts, and ones that came before it and don’t make assumptions or assign meanings, just read them.

If you read my post I clearly said I had no idea what you meant by them and was trying to clarify your post, if you were responding to a specific post most people would have "Quoted" them. Ok I just read you post again and it seems like they mean nothing and have no barring on anything current.

A few comments:

1. Maroon used to be younger but has since grown.

2. He has had relations with a women whom he is no longer with

3. He likes long walks on the beach.

But hey, your commit about the the St louis writers is spot on, bravo for that!

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016
If you read my post I clearly said I had no idea what you meant by them and was trying to clarify your post, if you were responding to a specific post most people would have "Quoted" them. Ok I just read you post again and it seems like they mean nothing and have no barring on anything current.

A few comments:

1. Maroon used to be younger but has since grown.

2. He has had relations with a women whom he is no longer with

3. He likes long walks on the beach.

But hey, your commit about the the St louis writers is spot on, bravo for that!

No, you were making things up, that are very obviously not what I wrote. I’ll make it simple for you.
1) Was a comment on the writes and their conflicting reports.
2) Was a response to someone who claimed Maroon had a lifelong dream to play for the Blues.
3) Was in response to Majorityof1’s questions about Maroon, his son and the boys mother...in the post directly before mine.

Now you have a few choices, admit you were just being an ass and apologize or admit you really didn’t take the time to comprehend what was written and apologize or simply go away. Anything makes you look like an asylum wannabe.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad