Confirmed Signing with Link: [STL] Pat Maroon signs with STL (1 year, $1.75M)

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
No, you were making things up, that are very obviously not what I wrote. I’ll make it simple for you.
1) Was a comment on the writes and their conflicting reports.
2) Was a response to someone who claimed Maroon had a lifelong dream to play for the Blues.
3) Was in response to Majorityof1’s questions about Maroon, his son and the boys mother...in the post directly before mine.

Now you have a few choices, admit you were just being an ass and apologize or admit you really didn’t take the time to comprehend what was written and apologize or simply go away. Anything makes you look like an asylum wannabe.

Yeah points 2 and 3 would have made perfect sense if you would have inserted the posts you were referring to, but blame me that's cool, I'll admit I'm an ass though, you nailed that one

steinerecliner

May 15, 2018
Well it bound to be official by the end of the day, Jeremy Rutherford as tweeted the article from yesterday with an update. We can all post different things on if he wanted to play for the Blues or not. I think any home town player would love a chance. If we did in fact get him for a 1.7 Million that is amazing.

Devilsfan118

Sing us a song, you're the Schiano man
Jun 11, 2010
NJ
This is a whole lot of fuss over a 3rd liner guy, no?

He did a decent enough job with the Devils, seems like a nice enough dude.

But.. sign somewhere already.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
So Brodziak signs with his hometown team and Maroon signs with his. Win-win? Still would have liked Maroon back with the Copper and Blue (or Orange and Blue now).

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Well it bound to be official by the end of the day, Jeremy Rutherford as tweeted the article from yesterday with an update. We can all post different things on if he wanted to play for the Blues or not. I think any home town player would love a chance. If we did in fact get him for a 1.7 Million that is amazing.

The updated article is basically him adding his speculation as to why it hasn't been made official yet. It's believed that the interest for him has ramped up in the last 24 hours from other teams like the Coyotes and Devils.

He did state that they believe it's still a better than 50% chance he signs with St. Louis.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
That would make it pretty tough for Thomas and or Kyrou to make the team.

I think Thomas gets eased in at 4C and Kyrou starts in the AHL, but you're right it's definitely crowded up front for St. Louis now. I wonder if there would be a trade following this signing, I just don't see a candidate that would really bring anything back. Top line and new additions are untouchable, can't see them trading Steen and Fabbri's value will be low due to injury. At least one of Kyrou or Thomas will probably fall victim to the numbers game

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
the blues and maroon will entertain a contract extension on january 1st, per a score article.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
The updated article is basically him adding his speculation as to why it hasn't been made official yet. It's believed that the interest for him has ramped up in the last 24 hours from other teams like the Coyotes and Devils.

He did state that they believe it's still a better than 50% chance he signs with St. Louis.

Mirtle has said that Toronto is interested as well but I don't think they'll give him the money or term the others might

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Again, I wouldn't be surprised if he did.

Being close to Ant is worth more than $$ to Patty.

Reactions: Senko1291

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
This is a whole lot of fuss over a 3rd liner guy, no?

He did a decent enough job with the Devils, seems like a nice enough dude.

But.. sign somewhere already.

He’s scored at a 25 goal, 47 point pace since leaving Anaheim. I wouldn’t really call him a 3rd liner anymore.

This is a steal for the Blues if true, and I couldn’t be happier for Patty. As much as I want him back in Edmonton, this makes me equally happy. He’s one of the most likeable guys in the league and gets to play for his hometown team, in front of his kid

steinerecliner

May 15, 2018
I think Thomas gets eased in at 4C and Kyrou starts in the AHL, but you're right it's definitely crowded up front for St. Louis now. I wonder if there would be a trade following this signing, I just don't see a candidate that would really bring anything back. Top line and new additions are untouchable, can't see them trading Steen and Fabbri's value will be low due to injury. At least one of Kyrou or Thomas will probably fall victim to the numbers game

I think it will play out. A lot of players signed one year deals on the lower half. There was never a promise Thomas and Kyrou where going to be on the roster as it is. Next season they could easily be brought in at entry level deals taking over Jaskin, Sunqvist, and ext and if Fabbri doesn't do what we think, he likely being replaced. Thomas and Kryou can easy into the NHL level. Two years from now Schenn contract is up, you do resign Schenn who if he does well the next two years will get a lot of offers or just bump O'Rielly up, and make Thomas number 2 Center. Kyrou could take over Fabbri.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
I think it will play out. A lot of players signed one year deals on the lower half. There was never a promise Thomas and Kyrou where going to be on the roster as it is. Next season they could easily be brought in at entry level deals taking over Jaskin, Sunqvist, and ext and if Fabbri doesn't do what we think, he likely being replaced. Thomas and Kryou can easy into the NHL level. Two years from now Schenn contract is up, you do resign Schenn who if he does well the next two years will get a lot of offers or just bump O'Rielly up, and make Thomas number 2 Center. Kyrou could take over Fabbri.

Oh for sure both of those guys will get in eventually and giving them extra time to develop might not be a bad thing, I'm just speaking to next year in particular. Thomas can also go back to juniors I believe which might be more likely unless St. Louis thinks he's learned all he can there. It's a pretty good problem for the Blues to have overall... Almost in a similar situation to the Jets with forward depth except most of Winnipeg's are waiver eligible

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
He’s scored at a 25 goal, 47 point pace since leaving Anaheim. I wouldn’t really call him a 3rd liner anymore.

This is a steal for the Blues if true, and I couldn’t be happier for Patty. As much as I want him back in Edmonton, this makes me equally happy. He’s one of the most likeable guys in the league and gets to play for his hometown team, in front of his kid
With McDavid...

Neal outside of Pittsburgh hasn't come close to the production he had there.

Reactions: STLomacneko

BuLLeT1291

Dec 16, 2010
How does a NHL player even manage to only get 42 points while playing with McDavid for a season? Lehtera managed 44 points while playing with Tarasenko. Sounds eerily similar. Not a great skater, but a big body and... hey... if you put him with the best player in the league... he might get some points. Well... okay... I guess everyone with a pulse would also get points, but, hey.. I'm trying to be the guy's agent here. Cut me some slack!

This is the exact type of comment that tells me your one of those fans that think “points” are the tell all see all.

Last edited by a moderator:

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010

personally, having watched him a bit, suggesting he's reliable for those numbers is a bit far fetched.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
You guys keep repeating this 4th line stuff, as if no Blues player will get injured all year long. Maroon will not play all season on the 4th line, just watch. I expect him to play more games in the top 9 somewhere than the 4th line. The lines NEVER work out as fans predict in the offseason.

And not sure why it's so hard to believe. He knows the city well. And not sure why you think it would be ok to just bribe his (I'm guessing) ex to uproot herself and her son just to be near him part of the year. Let's say he did sign with the Devils, he's on the road half the time anyway. That is a pretty selfish thought to expect the mother of his child to just pick up and move just to be close to him. Maybe you're on a lot better terms with your exes than I am.

It's his decision to make, not yours. Not everyone cares as much about money as you seem to.
You seem to be awfully interested in Maroon's private life, almost uncomfortably so. Maybe we don't need to be discussing his son and custody rights on a hockey forum, just a thought.

I am not questioning his decision, nor trying to make it for him. I am trying to understand his motivations for signing at a steep discount, because I am afraid of the rumored 4 year extension. If money is a concern for him, then the Blues may have to pay it forward on the next contract. That could end up being a pretty bad deal for decent term in exchange for one good year. If being closer to his son is worth millions of dollars to him, then maybe the extension won't be as bad. I could care less about the situation with his son outside of how it effects the future roster construction and cap for my favorite team going forward. Many people had spoken about his son as a reason for wanting to be there. I thought it may be public knowledge I just wasn't aware. Its not like I care where he went on vacation, who he is currently dating, or any other trivial details about celebrities that are always on the internet.

I only wanted to know why he would give up a 3x$3.5 offer to play on McDavid's wing for a 1x$1.7M offer to start on the Blues 4th line. I am sure he is not the only NHL player with less than ideal custody arrangements for their child. Why can't he do what they do? Or why is it more important to him to give up so much than it is for anyone else? I've never once heard of an athlete turning down more money than he has as of yet made in his career.

In terms of selfishness, I would think, barring abuse or something of the sort, being close to both parents would be in the child's best interest. If he gives her a huge bump in child support to make it easier on her to facilitate that, is it really selfish? It is by definition selfish for her to make him give up millions to see his child, although it is completely understandable. Still, that decision would be concerned with her own happiness, and not his and potentially not the child's. Making the offer to compensate her for uprooting her life, makes both parents more financially secure and gives the child access to both parents. That seems like a win-win in the abstract without knowing the details

As for me, I don't have any kids, so I don't need a relationship with my exes. Also, I gave up a decent paying job at a law firm to run a not-for-profit corporation where I make half as much. So money isn't my prime motivator, and I understand taking less money for other concerns. However, if the amount were $2M a year less, I'd be a lawyer who donates money to my not-for-profit's cause. Money isn't everything, but it can solve a lot of problems. But you really seem overly concerned about my personal life, almost uncomfortably so. Asking about my relationship with my exes maybe isn't appropriate for a hockey forum :sarcasm: Seriously, just teasing a bit with that last part.

westc2

Nov 2, 2015
St. Louis, MO
Why can't Clayton Keller, one of the Tkachuk boys, or anyone who can skate want to play out their career in hometown St. Louis? Why do we have to be stuck with this guy? He won't be likable on the 4th line playing with 4th line caliber players and thus producing 4th line level stats for 2nd-3rd line cap hit. Neither will he be likable if he pushes out any of our much better top 9 player, nor will he be likable if he blocks Thomas, Kyrou or any other young guy from getting a chance.

Maroon is willing to take a huge discount to play in St. Louis because his kid lives here (he's not with the kid's mother so doesn't get to see him often.)

He'll likely play on the 4th line with Jaskin and Barbashev or something. If Thomas makes team he'll probably center the 3rd line to start or split time at center with Bozak.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
I am not questioning his decision, nor trying to make it for him. I am trying to understand his motivations for signing at a steep discount, because I am afraid of the rumored 4 year extension. If money is a concern for him, then the Blues may have to pay it forward on the next contract. That could end up being a pretty bad deal for decent term in exchange for one good year. If being closer to his son is worth millions of dollars to him, then maybe the extension won't be as bad. I could care less about the situation with his son outside of how it effects the future roster construction and cap for my favorite team going forward. Many people had spoken about his son as a reason for wanting to be there. I thought it may be public knowledge I just wasn't aware. Its not like I care where he went on vacation, who he is currently dating, or any other trivial details about celebrities that are always on the internet.

I only wanted to know why he would give up a 3x$3.5 offer to play on McDavid's wing for a 1x$1.7M offer to start on the Blues 4th line. I am sure he is not the only NHL player with less than ideal custody arrangements for their child. Why can't he do what they do? Or why is it more important to him to give up so much than it is for anyone else? I've never once heard of an athlete turning down more money than he has as of yet made in his career.

In terms of selfishness, I would think, barring abuse or something of the sort, being close to both parents would be in the child's best interest. If he gives her a huge bump in child support to make it easier on her to facilitate that, is it really selfish? It is by definition selfish for her to make him give up millions to see his child, although it is completely understandable. Still, that decision would be concerned with her own happiness, and not his and potentially not the child's. Making the offer to compensate her for uprooting her life, makes both parents more financially secure and gives the child access to both parents. That seems like a win-win in the abstract without knowing the details

As for me, I don't have any kids, so I don't need a relationship with my exes. Also, I gave up a decent paying job at a law firm to run a not-for-profit corporation where I make half as much. So money isn't my prime motivator, and I understand taking less money for other concerns. However, if the amount were $2M a year less, I'd be a lawyer who donates money to my not-for-profit's cause. Money isn't everything, but it can solve a lot of problems. But you really seem overly concerned about my personal life, almost uncomfortably so. Asking about my relationship with my exes maybe isn't appropriate for a hockey forum :sarcasm: Seriously, just teasing a bit with that last part.

I get what you are saying, just personally feel that speculating about kids and custody arrangements is going too far. But we're all entitled to our opinions. Fans so often focus on the business side of it, the money and whatnot, but in the end we have no idea what's going on in each guy's head or why they make the decisions they do. But it's nice to know that it's not always about money for some guys.

Maybe Maroon isn't an exciting player on the ice, but hopefully he can be a good addition to the group of guys we have on the team and in the community. I look forward to having him on the team, and most of the comments from Oilers and Devils fans seem pretty positive, especially in terms of his character.

And, we are talking as if he has already signed. What if he's just using STL as leverage to get a bigger deal from the Devils or whoever. That would be cold!

SC2GM

May 16, 2016
The last time I was this excited was when I heard we re-signed Sundqvist. Maybe he should take another year to mull it over. To be fair, it is kinda exciting if it gives a higher probability to a trade being made. Maybe we can trade Sundqvist for a 7th round pick in 2050.

TheGoldenGod

5 Star Man
Nov 8, 2017
Schwartz - Schenn - Perron/Steen
O’Reilly - Thomas - Tarasenko (ROR takes faceoffs)
Fabbri - Bozak - Steen/Perron
Maroon - Barbashev - Soshnikov

Based on a lineup DA proposed in one of his press conferences.

The more I think about Thomas w/ ROR and Tank, the more I think like it.

Maroon will add bite and play up in the lineup depending on the situations and during injuries.

Love this depth. Great job DA.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
Schwartz Schenn Perron/Steen
O’Reilly Thomas Tarasenko (ROR takes faceoffs)
Fabbri Bozak Steen/Perron
Maroon Barbashev Soshnikov

Lineup DA proposed in one of his press conferences.

The more I think about Thomas w/ ROR and Tank, the more I think like it.

Maroon will add bite and play up in the lineup depending on the situations and during injuries.

Love this depth. Great job DA.

Expect O'Reilly at center unless Thomas really wows them in preseason. I think Armstrong's idea was for that line to come together by mid-season because they want to bring Thomas along instead of throwing him in the deep end. But we'll see.

Also, don't be surprised if Sanford nudges Barbashev out of the opening night lineup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad