Confirmed Signing with Link: [STL] Pat Maroon signs with STL (1 year, $1.75M)

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
it's a fan friendly move, we'll have to see if it turns out to be a cap or team friendly move with how it all shakes out. he needs to come cheap and with minimal roster disruption to fit him.

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
I’m waiting to see how it affects the contract for Joel Edmundson before I judge it.
No chance this deal is made if it would affect Edmundson's signing. People always complain about what DA is doing until he does it. This whole offseason has been 5 star for the Blues. There very well could be a deal in place already that we don't know about.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I get what you are saying but I'll keep repeating the fact that every team has injuries. I seriously doubt Maroon will stay on the 4th line all year, and if he does that will mean that we are having a lot more luck with injuries than we have had in recent years. So if Maroon simply ends up as a slightly overpaid 4th liner, that probably means everything is going our way in terms of injuries and rookies proving themselves. But I like the fact that we have quality depth, rather than hoping guys like Jaskin, Soshnikov and Sundqvist can somehow play better than they have before.

Regarding Maroon and the fans, I bet if he plays hard then the hometown fans will be very supportive. If Kyrou and Thomas play well enough, I doubt Maroon will getting in their way on the depth chart. I'm not a huge fan of the signing but it gives us a physical presence we need and extra depth to protect against injuries.
Thanks for using logic.

Blues fans - “But when is Kyrou gonna get a chance???!!”

The Blues have never blocked a young guy from getting a chance if they deserved it. I’m sure they have a plan. I mean, it’s only their job to run the team and get judged off the moves they make. Plus they spent the time and resources to draft and develop their own players but yeah, some guy on the internet definitely needs to be worried that management is just completely forgetting about future Hall of Faner Jordan Kyrou.

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
Fabbri-O’Reilly-Tarasenko
Schwartz-Schenn-Kyrou
Steen-Bozak-Perron
Maroon-Thomas-Sosh/Barbie/Jaskin/Blais/Sanford

Edmundson-Pietrangelo
Dunn-Parayko
Bouwmeester-Schmaltz
Bortuzzo

Have fun playing against that lineup.

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
You forgot to list the goalies. They'll certainly make the games a bit more fun for the opposition.

Whoops didn’t mean to. I’d expect Allen to bounce back to his 15-16 production now that we have a legit offfense again. He won’t be expected to carry the load, and that should boost his confidence. Johnson should also probably play as well as he did in Calgary too, now that he’s got a top 5-7 defense in front of him. I’m not worried about the goaltending.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Fabbri-O’Reilly-Tarasenko
Schwartz-Schenn-Kyrou
Steen-Bozak-Perron
Maroon-Thomas-Sosh/Barbie/Jaskin/Blais/Sanford

Edmundson-Pietrangelo
Dunn-Parayko
Bouwmeester-Schmaltz
Bortuzzo

Have fun playing against that lineup.

That’s a lot to ask from Fabbri coming off back to back acl’s

Reactions: leospaceman3434

steinerecliner

May 15, 2018
I’m waiting to see how it affects the contract for Joel Edmundson before I judge it.

I'm thinking that he going to get another one year and next off season they lock him up long term. Giving a good chunk of Jay's contract. The way I figured that do that. Combine Jay and Carl's contracts, Jaskin, and all the other one million one year guys. Start locking up Joel and Dunn. Thomas and Kyrou depends of they make the team will be on entry level for a couple years.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Thanks for using logic.

Blues fans - “But when is Kyrou gonna get a chance???!!”

The Blues have never blocked a young guy from getting a chance if they deserved it. I’m sure they have a plan. I mean, it’s only their job to run the team and get judged off the moves they make. Plus they spent the time and resources to draft and develop their own players but yeah, some guy on the internet definitely needs to be worried that management is just completely forgetting about future Hall of Faner Jordan Kyrou.

They don't block star players. But they don't have a very good recent track record of developing middle of the road players. If a player doesn't have star potential (Fabbri, Parayko, Tarasenko, Schwartz), they languish in the minors. Guys who could be developed into middle 6/middle pair players often don't see ice time. Sure they could force ice time, but its hard when not given the chance. There is some truth to what Tage Thompson said that a young player cannot make mistakes on the Blues, unless putting up monster points or there are injuries and no choice. Look at Schmaltz, what more can he do in the AHL to prove himself, but he has been given very few opportunities on the Blues because they prefer steady Bortuzzo to a young guy who has upside but could make mistakes. Barbashev also has been jerked around the line-up. Does well, get shot up to 1st line, makes a mistake, gets plummeted back to 4th, doesn't score on 4th, gets sent to the AHL. Blais is another young guy who has been blocked. Not much left to do in the AHL (ppg last year), actually did ok in very limited NHL showings, but we were too stacked on LW. I'm not worried about Kyrou too much as he has star potential and could force his way on. But guys like Foley or Blias who could be good cheap bottom/middle 6 options will be blocked by a $3M+ 4th liner in Maroon. I'd much rather suffer from some mistakes and slightly lower production to develop a cheap 3rd/4th line option than sign an aging one.

Reactions: nonzerochance

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
They don't block star players. But they don't have a very good recent track record of developing middle of the road players. If a player doesn't have star potential (Fabbri, Parayko, Tarasenko, Schwartz), they languish in the minors. Guys who could be developed into middle 6/middle pair players often don't see ice time.

Sure they could force ice time, but its hard when not given the chance. There is some truth to what Tage Thompson said that a young player cannot make mistakes on the Blues, unless putting up monster points or there are injuries and no choice. Look at Schmaltz, what more can he do in the AHL to prove himself, but he has been given very few opportunities on the Blues because they prefer steady Bortuzzo to a young guy who has upside but could make mistakes.

Barbashev also has been jerked around the line-up. Does well, get shot up to 1st line, makes a mistake, gets plummeted back to 4th, doesn't score on 4th, gets sent to the AHL. Blais is another young guy who has been blocked. Not much left to do in the AHL (ppg last year), actually did ok in very limited NHL showings, but we were too stacked on LW. I'm not worried about Kyrou too much as he has star potential and could force his way on.

But guys like Foley or Blias who could be good cheap bottom/middle 6 options will be blocked by a $3M+ 4th liner in Maroon. I'd much rather suffer from some mistakes and slightly lower production to develop a cheap 3rd/4th line option than sign an aging one.
You're welcome

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Wow. Seems most Blues fans aren't happy with Pat Maroon coming home.

I'd personally love to have him back in Edmonton if we could afford him.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
It will depend on the deal. If he comes cheap, then whatever.
Probably won't come cheap. He's a 20 goal scorer with size and was underpaid most of his career. This is his one shot at a $3-4million payday. I hope he gets it. Would gladly have him for $3.75 on the Oilers.

steinerecliner

May 15, 2018

I have no issues with him. We need size and that what he brings and more offense. I get the whole Thomas and Kyrou but there was NEVER a garentee they would make the team and skip the AHL and what promise that they would first season rookies be MAJOR role players, they are very talented but still developing. Plus there is the Fabbri ?? so Having Maroon is very good insurance that the offense that was one of the worst last season comes back stronger than ever. Plus Maroon is a guy we haven't had since Backes and Brower as guys getting in front of the net and block. So yes he would make the team better because defense in front on the net.

north49er

Dec 20, 2017
Whoops didn’t mean to. I’d expect Allen to bounce back to his 15-16 production now that we have a legit offfense again. He won’t be expected to carry the load, and that should boost his confidence. Johnson should also probably play as well as he did in Calgary too, now that he’s got a top 5-7 defense in front of him. I’m not worried about the goaltending.
I always get nervous when goaltending is about "ifs and buts".

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida

Different circumstances. We already go 9 or 10 deep on top 9 talent, and have young guys that could push that ouy even more. We just don't have near the high-end talent that you do. Maroon is a good fit to fill out your top 6, had chemistry on the McDavid-Draisatl line. And he wouldn't push any top 9 guys out. With us, he either pushes someone out, or he plays 4th line where he may not have success. So its not so much the player as a combination of the player and circumstances.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Probably won't come cheap. He's a 20 goal scorer with size and was underpaid most of his career. This is his one shot at a $3-4million payday. I hope he gets it. Would gladly have him for $3.75 on the Oilers.
I do agree but it's going to be hard to get that in Stl. They have to move a dman recovering from injury. Not impossible, but feels rushed

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
I have no issues with him. We need size and that what he brings and more offense. I get the whole Thomas and Kyrou but there was NEVER a garentee they would make the team and skip the AHL and what promise that they would first season rookies be MAJOR role players, they are very talented but still developing. Plus there is the Fabbri ?? so Having Maroon is very good insurance that the offense that was one of the worst last season comes back stronger than ever. Plus Maroon is a guy we haven't had since Backes and Brower as guys getting in front of the net and block. So yes he would make the team better because defense in front on the net.

I'm the weird combination fan who is not against signing Maroon, but I also think Thomas is definitely NHL-ready and Kyrou probably is. Even if Kyrou starts the season in the minors, he'll make the leap this season. His skillset is not that of an AHL project. These days, players who spend a full season or more in the AHL out of junior and end up being scoring line talent in the NHL are usually large-bodied projects, not shifty, creative, fast guys.

Thomas arguably looked ready a year ago and just had a big year of development. He can't go to the AHL, he's on the Blues barring a freak occurrence.

But, even assuming there isn't a trade, I don't think Maroon can entirely push out a guy like Thomas. He could push out Jaskin, Barbashev, Sanford, Blais, Soshnikov, Sundqvist, or Thorburn, but I don't think he impinges on Thomas's spot on the roster. And if Kyrou impresses, I also don't think Maroon keeps him off the team.
He could, however, eat up their minutes on better lines. I understand the fans who don't want to pay Maroon a premium to do that as well as push out other young players who still have room to develop and need to be given some leash to do that. So, signing Maroon isn't as simple as depth and insurance because it could actually eat away at the Blues' depth by blocking a player from developing in a crucial year while simultaneously destroying that player's trade value. It's not all reward and no risk.

Last edited:
Reactions: EastonBlues22

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis

That's quite the overstatement.

I'd love to have a motivated vet happy to be in STL playing for his hometown. We just can't let this be a higher priority than locking in our younger stars.

I trust our GM has his priorities right.

Last edited:

Got One Cup

Jun 3, 2008
I wouldn’t mind picking him up if we needed him but don’t see where he fits. Maybe Armstrong has another move up his sleeve?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad