Confirmed Trade: [STL/CAR] Justin Faulk (14% retained), 2020 5th for Joel Edmundson, Dominik Bokk, 2021 7th

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Can’t think of a recent more unnecessary move for a team

Disagree.

What's interesting about this trade is both teams are playing the long game, and both accomplish what they wanted. Faulk's contract ask didn't fit in the Canes salary structure next offseason, so they moved him for assets. Pietrangelo may not fit into the Blues cap situation, so they acquired a player who can give them some insurance at his position in case he walks.

Reactions: DaveG

MaxDummy

Yeah
Jul 3, 2011
Laval
Is it just me or is Bokk really underated here? 23 points in 47 games as an 18 year old, wich is more than guys like Kopitar, Aho, W Nylander, Zibanejad, Fiala, etc.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
didn't St. Louis already have a Faulk-type player in Shattenkirk?

puzzling trade

Faulk is better now than Shattenkirk was when the Blues unloaded him. Don't let the points fool you, the last time Shattenkirk looked as engaged as Faulk did in the playoffs was January 2015.

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
Is it just me or is Bokk really underated here? 23 points in 47 games as an 18 year old, wich is more than guys like Kopitar, Aho, W Nylander, Zibanejad, Fiala, etc.

People have lowered their expectations to SHL here maybe, also Aho was in Liiga.

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
Nailed it.

Love Petro, but if he asks for the kingdom, he's not getting it. The Blues don't shell out mega contracts like Toronto.

I think one of Schenn or Petro is gone next year.
Especially because Petro will be what, 29-30 when the new deal takes effect? A 7-8 year term may be risky at that point. A good middle ground could be a 4-5 year deal with a higher AAV, but u don't know if he'll go for that. He has his cup now. He may well just want to cash in as much as possible on his last big deal. And he'd command huge attention as a UFA

Reactions: Blueston

blueper

Mar 29, 2012
Question for Blues fans - does Faulk get PP over Pietrangelo and Dunn? Who is likely to be the Dman on the first unit?

The Blues gave up short handed goals last year running an umbrella type powerplay with one dman. They recently hired Marc Savard as the new power play coach.
Dunn is better than Petro at generating power play chances IMO.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
From a neutral fan, this looks like a win-win for both teams

what does stl’s backend look like now?

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
From a neutral fan, this looks like a win-win for both teams

what does stl’s backend look like now?

Dunn-Pietrangelo
Bouwmeester-Parayko
Gunnarsson-Faulk
Borgman-Bortuzzo
Pouliot-Dotchin
Mikkola-Reinke
Walman

Reactions: CCBC

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Of course not to be missed in this, the Canes somehow managed to flip Faulk for a good prospect and another defenseman. Because of course the Canes traded for another defenseman.

personally I think it is VERY SMART by the Canes. They can flip a D-man at the TDL and get a pick out of it and on top of that they get another decent prospect.

For the blues; I don't get this trade unless the extension talk with Pietrangelo aren't going well and he may walk as a UFA

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
The Canes essentially wound up with a plug-and-play replacement for De Haan and balance out their left side/ride side with Gardiner in/Faulk out. It just took a winding course to get there.

No, because TVR is injured and won't start the season

Slavin-Hamilton
Gardiner-Faulk
Edmundson-x (pick one of Fleury, Bean, McKeown, Sellgren, Priskie)

Is Pesce injured or something? serious query haven't kept up with the NHL news lately

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Rumors of Petro signing with Toronto this summer because he's friends with JT and he's coming back home in 3...2...1...

Toronto has no cap space; Pietrangelo extension would cost huge dollars to the blues

Pietrangelo is probably gonna look to test the UFA market and go to the highest bidder; he got his cup now its time for him to make the moolah i guess

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
How long till Carolina trades edmunson?

They won't according to Waddell. They view Edmundson as somebody they actually needed given their third pair situation - TVR is out for probably a couple months to start the season and whoever of Fleury/Bean/Priskie/Forsling/McKeown etc. wins the 6/7 jobs will need a steady presence playing with them.

Now, if Bean or whoever proves themselves by the trade deadline and TVR was healthy, I could see a trade happening then.

hotcarle

Jul 10, 2009
vd, qc, ca
They won't according to Waddell. They view Edmundson as somebody they actually needed given their third pair situation - TVR is out for probably a couple months to start the season and whoever of Fleury/Bean/Priskie/Forsling/McKeown etc. wins the 6/7 jobs will need a steady presence playing with them.

Now, if Bean or whoever proves themselves by the trade deadline and TVR was healthy, I could see a trade happening then.
Habs will waiver-claim one of their surplus D out of spite.

Chubbinz

Nov 1, 2016
personally I think it is VERY SMART by the Canes. They can flip a D-man at the TDL and get a pick out of it and on top of that they get another decent prospect.

For the blues; I don't get this trade unless the extension talk with Pietrangelo aren't going well and he may walk as a UFA

The Blues had 4 LHD that deserve to be in the lineup on a nightly basis with Dunn, Edmundson, Jbo and Gunnarsson. So either they would need to run some sort of combination of Eddy/Gunnar/Dunn for the third pairing or they clear one of those spots and pick up a much better d-man than Edmundson.

The Blues can still afford to sign Petro to a new contract now have insurance if he wants to move on or in case of injury and now have a better defense overall.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00