Confirmed Trade: [STL/CAR] Justin Faulk (14% retained), 2020 5th for Joel Edmundson, Dominik Bokk, 2021 7th

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Don’t let Canes fans tell you that Lindholm and Hanifin didn’t fit in with the visions and future of the team. They’re both awesome players who lack nothing in the intangible or desire category.

New ownership wanting to change what Francis had built and make it their own. They also had to pay the contracts to those two when they knew they also had to sign Aho and TT. They wanted to make a big trade, and those two were the most valuable assets they had to make it happen so they used them. That’s it. They whole change in attitude and vision was a bit of a smoke screen and a “rebranding” for the team, especially when factoring these two players.

I’ll extend that to Skinner. They just didn’t want to pay the contract, and as a fan I dont blame him. I just didn’t like the new ownerships need to brand players as scapegoats for the past.

The canes have great d and for the first time in along time they had really good and consistent goaltending. That’s what turned the tide along with the new coaches attitude. The players shown the doors would’ve bought in and I firmly believe the “old” canes would’ve made the playoffs last year too.

Back in topic this trade was good for both teams. Faulk was leaving and they got good value for him in the end, I think the Blues got the best player and he’s still in his prime.

I think it's fair to say that they saw Lindholm and Hanafin stall in their progression. They were due for new contracts and they didn't want to give a long-term commitment with raises because they didn't feel the improvement was there. I don't think style of play was necessarily an issue with Lindholm. He was a hard worker, he just never gelled properly with anyone. Style of play was definitely an issue with Hanafin. He had all the skills and tools and would show flashes of greatness but he also just didn't know how to play defense. When you're scoring like Phil Housley that's fine, but Hanafin wasn't exactly driving play on the offensive end either.

Skinner was definitely a combination of his style of play not fitting in and he was due for a big raise which he wasn't worth.

sh724

Jun 2, 2009
Missouri
has anyone talked about the pieces going to Carolina?

Edmundson sat in the press box when the Blues were healthy, and has regressed since his rookie year. Maybe a change in scenery will do him good just dont expect much out of him.

Bokk is a former first round pick in a prospect pool full of quality wingers. He is more of a long term project but could end up being a decent middle six player

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
Need based. I don't think anyone has to do much convincing to say that they need D and two win-now window D just got snapped off the market.

Regardless of need, that logic and lack of cap space don’t make them front runners for any impact defensemen until they sort out their own RFA’s and Byfuglien’s situation.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Edmundson is underrated imo and is perfect for hamilton
If you have better 5on5 squad than Blues and better dmen than Pietro with you can pair Ed, I think it doesn't expose Edmundson's flaws.

Ed use to be know as tough stay-at-home dmen and decent at puck mover, but in few years he has fall from cliff. He didn't give his old physical presence to ice, was soft and there was reason why he was healthy scratched at last post-season and mostly at finals. Too many errors with puck at d-zone which cost game(s). Best what could describe about his transition game was/is 'bonehead' passes. No confidence and maybe pressure was too high to controll.

I hope different atmosphere does make miracles.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
There is a post on the Blues facebook fan page saying he could be our best defender "to anyone who watches hockey". Then he backs off and says "okay maybe not as good as Pietrangelo" but doesn't mention Parayko. It makes me actually appreciate this website. Thank you all.
Amen, brah! My sentiments exactly!

bigduga

Oct 4, 2009
I don't think the Faulk Contract is as indicitive of Petro's future being elsewhere as it is an indication that the blues have an ability to overspend on the right side for a while because all of the young D in their pipeline is on the left side. Dunn, Mikkola, Walman, Pouliot, Borgman are all left-side. Stacking RHD is unconventional, but they figure to be able to budget fairly cheap down the other side for awhile.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad