Confirmed Trade: [STL/CAR] Justin Faulk (14% retained), 2020 5th for Joel Edmundson, Dominik Bokk, 2021 7th

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
They'll then have to waive Forsling or Fleury, no? And another one when TVR is back? Or they'll carry 8 Ds?

It's not very likely that Bean makes it so when TVR gets back:

Slavin-Hamilton
Gardiner-Pesce
Edmundson-TVR
Fleury

Waive Forsling or carry him as 8th defenseman. Priskie, Sellgren, Bean don't require waivers; Claesson and McKeown already cleared waivers and sent down.

If the Canes waive Forsling and someone claims him, so be it.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
STL committed highway robbery here. They got a legit top NHL Dman. For some whatifs and/or maybes

sh724

Jun 2, 2009
Missouri
Aren’t blues a bit soft now? Ed gone, Maroon gone. Nolan to AHL. Just Bortuzzo?

What do you mean by soft? Neither Eddy nor Maroon were overly physical sure they had their moments but neither were known for their hitting or fighting.

Blues still have Bortuzzo, their fourth line showed plenty of physicality in the POs, and Faulk had more hits last season than anyone on the Blues

CartographerNo611

Oct 11, 2014
I've wanted Faulk for years, and Edmundson is a bum. I didn't even want the Blues to sign the guy this offseason, because I doubted anyone would even take him in a trade given how bad he was last season. Guy is overpaid, even if only 1 year left on the deal. He has zero offense. He has no speed. He was getting dunked on every game he played in the playoffs, which led to him becoming a permanent fixture on the bench.

I saw Edmundson's giveaways to takeaways stats a few months ago, and it was so beyond pathetic that I don't even want to look it up again because it's vomit inducing. Holy christ this guy is bad. His arbitration hearing was a guy robbing a bank.

Glad I’m not the only one not high on Edmundson. He is a really expensive Bortuzzo.

Last edited:

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Glad I’m not the only one not high in Edmundson. He is a really expensive Bortuzzo.

My guess is that Edmundson was cap hit coming back to make the deal work. Lord knows, with Slavin, Gardiner, Fleury, Forsling, Bean on the LHD side and Hamilton, Pesce, TVR on the RHD side that the Canes didn't need him. Bokk was likely the asset the Canes coveted in this deal.

While he may be a bit expensive for a #6 D, it's for 1 year so not a big deal.

Reactions: Blueston

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
It's not very likely that Bean makes it so when TVR gets back:

Slavin-Hamilton
Gardiner-Pesce
Edmundson-TVR
Fleury

Waive Forsling or carry him as 8th defenseman. Priskie, Sellgren, Bean don't require waivers; Claesson and McKeown already cleared waivers and sent down.

If the Canes waive Forsling and someone claims him, so be it.
It's really concerning if Fleury, at 23 in his D+6, can't get a spot on that 3rd pair over Joel Edmundson... That guy is really mediocre.

Easy to forget he was #7 OA.

Reactions: Blueston

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
It's really concerning if Fleury, at 23 in his D+6, can't get a spot on that 3rd pair over Joel Edmunson... That guy is really mediocre.

Easy to forget he was #7 OA.

To be fair, that's where I placed him, I have no idea where the Canes would play him. TVR likely won't start the season so it will probably be Fleury-Edmundson with Forsling as the #7.

That said, it's hard to deny that he's been disappointing as a #7 OA pick.

Reactions: Michoulicious

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
Aren’t blues a bit soft now? Ed gone, Maroon gone. Nolan to AHL. Just Bortuzzo?

Blues leaders by hits in last year’s playoffs:

1. Barbashev 87
2. Schenn 83
3. Sundqvist 74
4. Blais 70 (in 15 games vs 25 or 26)
5. Maroon 54
6. Schwartz 52
7. Tarasenko 50
8. Edmundson 42 in 22 games

14. Bortuzzo 27 in 17 games

I don’t think the organization is worried about being too soft.

MalkinsPierogi

Aug 15, 2016
Indiana, PA
It’s not gonna be enough. Those are unproven commodities who had fluke seasons in recent years and Haula has likely peaked and is coming off serious injury

Jeeze you sure seem to be confident that you can predict the future here...

While you’re at it, is my fiancé going to abandon me on our wedding day?

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Blues leaders by hits in last year’s playoffs:

1. Barbashev 87
2. Schenn 83
3. Sundqvist 74
4. Blais 70 (in 15 games vs 25 or 26)
5. Maroon 54
6. Schwartz 52
7. Tarasenko 50
8. Edmundson 42 in 22 games

14. Bortuzzo 27 in 17 games

I don’t think the organization is worried about being too soft.

And Faulk is ANYTHING but a soft player. He's not a "blow someone up" guy when it comes to hitting, but he uses his body well and was the most physical of the Canes defenseman. He's not soft at all.

StlBill

Jul 1, 2018
Blues too soft? First off, fighting is diminishing at a rapid pace in this league. Second, we won the cup by hitting anything and everything that moved on our cup run. They were called a “throw back” when it came to their physicality. They beat a couple teams into submission. This was a phenomenal pickup for the team, as a life long Blues fan in fearful this move was made with the mindset that Petro will be moving on this summer. Likely means they chose to try and resign Schenner...

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
I like that was a pretty cheap price to pay for the Blues. However I don’t get why they did it. Seems like it really wasn’t a need. They must not be expecting to keep Petro.

paragon

May 5, 2010
I like it for the Blues, get instantly better and paid next to nothing.

I kind of like it for Carolina as well. It's good to trade away UFAs that have no future with the franchise. But all this acquiring futures for cap space and veterans makes the Calgary trade even more worse, because they are wasting away years they could be really competetive and next summer they might be in the same situation with Hamilton.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
To be honest, I don't think the Canes did that well here. Edmundson's in his UFA year. He's worth a 3rd or so considering. Bokk is probably worth his draft slot (25OA), maybe less. The Blues got an extension out of it and it meant little or nothing to Faulk's value; given how the trade market is shaping up for RD, that type of return may not have been out of line for a rental Faulk.
Maybe Canes did a favor of sorts to Faulk. He's a well-liked long-time player who wasn't getting the extension of his ask with the Canes.

We did chat about the possibility of the Canes organization letting Faulk find his own extension when he was allowed to talk with the teams and then arranging the trade to the team in question without seeking the best possible trade for themselves.

Win-win to Blues and Faulk as reportedly Blues (too) insisted on there being the extension. Canes get to bank some goodwill for future interactions with the Blues and in their own locker room.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Edmundson is a solid bottom pair defensive defenseman, Bokk is a meh prospect, hasn't taken a step forward(s) from last season.
- the obvious winner is the Blues here

Dunn,Bowmeester,Gunnarson on the left side
Pietrangelo,Faulk,Parayko on the right side
Bortuzzo as the 7th

One of the best D in the NHL.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
What a fantastic thread! Thanks 'Canes fans for informed, insightful and courteous discussion! It is really cool to read intelligent hockey discourse, instead of a "my guy is better than your guy" pissing match. The jury is still out for me until I see Faulk play, and I am more sure about Pietrangelo's future. Right now I am cautiously optimistic.

Pandaman11

Dec 3, 2009
Not sure what St.Louis's endgame is here.

Are they committing $45M to a third pairing guy?
Are they planning on replacing Piet with Faulk? Because they don't want Piet anymore or because he'll be too expensive?

Anyway, most in here are saying this is robbery by St.Louis. I'm not so sure about that. Maybe the trade itself is (when we ignore everything contract-related), but we'll have to re-evaluate in the summer of 2020.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
For the Canes, I think this came down to prefering Gardiner at 4x4 over Faulk at 7x6+. Plus they get Bokk.

As a trade, I think Carolina didn't do all that well. But, as an overall plan, I think they did. I also like it for the Blues.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Is it just me or is Bokk really underated here? 23 points in 47 games as an 18 year old, wich is more than guys like Kopitar, Aho, W Nylander, Zibanejad, Fiala, etc.
I think thats just stat watching with failers.

Fiala didnt even play more than 25 games.

Kopitar had +60 points as 19 year old in the NHL. Aho had an outstanding season as 18 year old in...the finnish league.

Etc etc

Last edited:

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
Wow great deal for both sides

Instantly I liked it for STL, then I leaned more liking it for Canes.... I keep going back and forth
This is me. I like the trade for both teams.

We get the best RD trio in the NHL and the Canes get a tough LD who can shut down the rush and a top-flight offensively flashy prospect.

Don’t care about the draft picks. 5th rounders have a less than a 3% chance of playing 100 games in the NHL.

Reactions: Cardiac Jerks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad