Confirmed Signing with Link: [STL] Brandon Saad signs with the Blues (5 years, $4.5M AAV)

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
He's absolutely a scoring line forward who is responsible enough to play in a checking role as well. I'd say he's pretty clearly in the "2nd line forward" tier.

He scored the 2nd most goals for the Avs this past playoffs, only trailed MacKinnon

Well... not really, on/off yes, but not for the entire 82 game season + play-offs.
- he haves stretches where he scores goals and points, plays really well, then disappears
for no reason

His arrow shows downwards what comes to his career.

He is a good two way player however, like you said and he can give you a solid 20 goals
and about, close to 40 points each season, but that's pretty much it, don't get me wrong,
he is a useful player bur, he is not the Saad 2013-2017, forget about it.

A good two-way winger with 20 goals to bring with him, to your 2nd or 3rd line.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
Blues got

RoR
Perron
Buchnevich
Kyrou
Thomas
Saad
Sundqvist
Barbashev
Sanford

That's a strong ass top 9 already. Think they have to move Tarasenko or maybe play one of those guys in a limited role for a while

Pretty sure that's headed out to NJ as we speak lol.

I mean, not really, but at this point I think I'd put a high likelihood on it.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
you’re forgetting schenn and kostin
Crap , I was hoping Saad would go to NJ . Blues top 9 is stacked . One would have to think that Tarasenko is moved now. Sucks that now the Blues might be willing to retain to get a better return where before my Devils could have traded for him at full salary at a lesser cost. If Boeser retain , that opens up the door to a bunch more teams offering on him .
Congrats Blues fans on Saad .

Last edited:

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
Maybe I haven’t seen as much of Saad as some, but to me, he’s been regressing for years. He had a decent year the year before last, but a 41 point pace shouldn’t earn you a 5 year deal worth 4.5mil. To me the Blues will be regretting this in a couple years for sure, maybe even sooner.

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016
It’s funny seeing people who want to put down the Blues focusing on points, which have gone down a bit (.59, .57, .55) while ignoring goals. (.29, .36, .34)

Reactions: Moose and Squirrel

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Hate that. It's a reasonable cap hit. Term is a bit long for a player like him, but at that AAV it's unlikely it's ever a really bad contract.

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
never forget how people thought he was a cap dump player because he played on terrible chicago teams after he came back, avs fans got to see he's a really solid top 9 forward that can play anywhere in lineup
Yeah, I can understand why that myth could spread, especially with sour fanbase grumbling after a lost season. If he isn't playing with other good players - be they Patrick Kane or in our case even just a guy like Burakovsky who he had chemistry with - his value gets suppressed. He's gonna go to work, and hopefully whoever he's with can read off him and take advantage of the things that he does well, as he's never really gonna be able to do it all himself. If they can't, Saad won't look like he's doing much either. Get him with a player who will synergize with his strengths, and he's going to be digging up pucks for them in board battles or causing forecheck chaos and hitting them with a slick pass half the time, and the other half he's going to be whacking the puck in at the crease while getting the back of his head punched in or tackled. Also had a nice sneaky wrister that he used a few times off the rush.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Should fit the Blues like a glove. Very reasonable deal for a player that can slot anywhere in the top 9 wing positions and be effective even when he's not scoring.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Solid all around. Saad still has gas left in the tank. Not sure the blues were the best choice for him but obviously something caught his eye. Both team and player will likey be happy with this

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
Well... not really, on/off yes, but not for the entire 82 game season + play-offs.
- he haves stretches where he scores goals and points, plays really well, then disappears
for no reason

His arrow shows downwards what comes to his career.

He is a good two way player however, like you said and he can give you a solid 20 goals
and about, close to 40 points each season, but that's pretty much it, don't get me wrong,
he is a useful player bur, he is not the Saad 2013-2017, forget about it.

A good two-way winger with 20 goals to bring with him, to your 2nd or 3rd line.
Most players who aren't Connor McDavid, Nate Mackinnon, or Pat Kane etc are spotty scorers over a full season, to be clear. His production was in line with his role - 0.55 pts/g - and 2/3 of those were goals so arguably a little extra added value there.

No doubt Saad is on the 2nd half of his career, but he plays a game that is defined by his hard work tenacity and a smart stick rather than beating players with speed skating or overpowering them with brute force, so it could age and he could continue to be effective. Smart players find a way.

Show me a non-star player who doesn't have cold streaks, they just don't exist! Saad is a good role player who can also produce enough to be an option on a secondary scoring line. Expecting a 1st liner level of pt production from him will lead to disappointment because that's not who he is or who he tries to be on the ice. Very unselfish player who likely leaves a handful of goals and points on the table because he will choose to make the better play to a teammate, or spend that extra bit of effort on fulfilling defensive duties.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad