Confirmed Signing with Link: [STL] Brandon Saad signs with the Blues (5 years, $4.5M AAV)

EastVillageBlues

Feb 18, 2019
Danault and Hyman both got a million more than Saad and additional year(s). Did Saad wait too long to agree on the term and money?

Hyman got a lot more because of the Toronto hype. You know when you are the focus of the hockey world, and you play well in a contract season, you really get rewarded.

Denault is probably well deserved, his Selke level performance in the post season really leveled him up. Plus a team that is trying to get back into the playoff race would sorely need someone like him to steady the ship.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Armstrong proves again why he is one of the best GMs in the league. Didn't panic yesterday during the market frenzy and paid Saad exactly what the Blues were able to fit in to their cap without necessitating any additional moves. Saad is coming off a 6 year 36M contract at an AAV of 6M. 6.5M in actual salary last year. How many players took a 2M hit in base salary for next season during yesterday's mania? Probably not many.

Armstrong has balls of steel. He's not always right. But his shrewdness had paid off for the Blues big time.
So he knew nobody was going to sign sadd yesterday. He is good.

alwaysBlue

Jan 17, 2018
I love the Saad move. Him and Buchnevich replacing Schwartz and Hoffman is an upgrade to our Top 6. Hopefully we can move Tarasenko for a guy like Niederreiter or Beauviller (I know I’m dreaming) and run an elite forward group. Or hell, Tarasenko might see the moves and change his mind. I don’t think we could move him for anyone with the ability to score 40 goals.

Reactions: Mike Liut

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
Is he really top 6 though? Seems like more of an awesome 3rd line winger. I'll be thrilled if he puts up better line 2 production.

He is absolutely a top 6 forward. I wouldn't call him a core player, but having him as your 5th or 6th best forward is a really good sign.

EastVillageBlues

Feb 18, 2019
I think given the circumstances, our off season so far is a moderate success.

We also have some unexpected cap space (minus Schwartz, minus Dunn, Tarasenko likely moved with some partial retention). Saad signing takes some of that.

But I wouldn't mind if we make another move for a a good top-9 FA at a relatively low price for 2-3 year deal.

Two player we need to get rid of ASAP though, are Sanford and Scandella.

Reactions: CaliforniaBlues310

skilles

Jun 23, 2012
I think some people just get in a habit of complaining about term. He is 28, The cap hit will probably look better in the later years than it does now. There is no avoiding risk but when the player is 28 and the price is good 5 years is perfect IMO.

Reactions: Mordo

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2