TSN: STL Blues eyeballing Howard

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
I really hope they don't trade Howard to STL. Would be a bad move for both teams. Wings finally have a decent enough backup and Blashill is finally platooning the goalies to where Howie might actually not get injured this year, which means no 20 game post injury slump either. For the Blues, they would immediately overplay Howie because Johnson sucks and their team sucks and he'd just get injured and be terrible the rest of the year. Both teams would lose.

That said, if they packaged some dead weight (abdelkader) and got back a 'finisher' (Schenn/Schwartz) in return I don't think I would be too upset.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
I really hope they don't trade Howard to STL. Would be a bad move for both teams. Wings finally have a decent enough backup and Blashill is finally platooning the goalies to where Howie might actually not get injured this year, which means no 20 game post injury slump either. For the Blues, they would immediately overplay Howie because Johnson sucks and their team sucks and he'd just get injured and be terrible the rest of the year. Both teams would lose.

That said, if they packaged some dead weight (abdelkader) and got back a 'finisher' (Schenn/Schwartz) in return I don't think I would be too upset.

How do the Wings loose if its a great return?

I would be completely fine with the Wings trading Abby for Schenn or Schwartz, but I would say there is a zero % chance of that happening.

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
How do the Wings loose if its a great return?

I would be completely fine with the Wings trading Abby for Schenn or Schwartz, but I would say there is a zero % chance of that happening.
I'm not in the #loseforhughes mentality. I like watching the Wings win and Howard's been playing the best hockey he's played since his last contract year. As long as Holland cuts his pay and gives him a shorter term I would even be happy if he signs an extension. Trading Howard for Allen (or Johnson) would literally equate to losing games this year, even if they 'won' the trade overall.

Christien

May 1, 2010
We’re in a rebuild, so it’d be silly not to pull the trigger on this. Picks and/or a prospect and I’m happy.

Reactions: NEWing

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
I'm not in the #loseforhughes mentality. I like watching the Wings win and Howard's been playing the best hockey he's played since his last contract year. As long as Holland cuts his pay and gives him a shorter term I would even be happy if he signs an extension. Trading Howard for Allen (or Johnson) would literally equate to losing games this year, even if they 'won' the trade overall.

I'd like to see Howard come back as well, but I think if we can move him for a valuable asset such as a 1st rounder, or a 2nd/3rd etc. we have to pull the trigger. I wouldn't do it now unless the return is great because I do think it would hurt the development of the kids as I believe its important for them to be in games at this age (though to play devil's advocate to myself, Bernier is no slouch and should be fine as the starter), but either way, I would look to move him at the TDL, and then I would try to re-sign him in the summer to a 2 year deal.

The injury risk does scare me, we dont need another Green situation.

ChrisReevesLegs

Nov 5, 2018
Seattle
So Bernier blows and looks like a huge mistake

Howard plays awesome and looks like he's keeping this team afloat

And the consensus is to trade Howard?

Ok

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
Wouldn't throw in Jensen in a trade, he's useful as 6/7D considering how often the D gets injured. The team was horrible at the beginning of the season playing with an AHL defense, the young forwards won't learn anything if they're pinned in their own zone for the whole game.
Jensen needs to be moved to make room for Hronek after the first of the year.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
This is St.Louis not Edmonton they aren't that stupid to give up Kyrou for Howard. Ask for a defense prospect or 2nd round pick and call it a day.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Doesn't Howard have a NTC or NMC? Why would he waive that to go to STL? And with STL at the bottom of the league why do they NEED Howard on an expiring and given his age???

I was thinking the same thing. Only thing I can think of is that with him there's still 60 some games to go I think so if they traded for him quickly a turn around isn't totally out of the question. If he did well he could resign in the summer with St.Louis but idk that's a lot of if's and leads.

It's not like the Blues are giving up a ton of goals though honestly so I don't understand the rumor much either. You'd think Calgary/Tampa/Columbus would want him more.

Last edited:

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Maybe so, however improbable, it's remotely plausible. Maybe we add a 2nd+3rd? A mid-caliber starter on a lottery team, former all-star (who got hurt just prior), posting good #'s as usual before his annual Dec/Jan groin pull....Nyquist, solid 2nd line winger, posting 1st line #'s on a lottery team, playmaker, shifty, vision, IQ, hands, 29, UFA (can be traded for last 1st at TDL and/or resigned) gives Blues flexibility, as does Howard + 2nd & 3rd+ Jensen RHD fill-in for CP. As I said, depth+flexibility+picks+desperate GM+team needs a shake up+cap space & TDL tradeable assets...

It’s not possible at all.

That’s Toronto Maple Leafs fan level trade

Howard is on an expiring deal. Nyquist is on an expiring deal. Jensen is a borderline AHL fill in. And a 2nd, a 3rd and a 5th.

Jeez, there is not even remotely a quality asset involved here. Parayko gets dealt for Larkin+ from this roster. Maybe the Wings unprotected lottery pick gets talks going too.

In your deal, if the Blues made it... their return for COLTON PARAYKO, a #1D, in a year could be Nick Jensen and a longshot to get one NHL roster player out of the draft. The only way he remotely gets traded for this is if Colton Parayko goes offends the Blues owner. And even then, some other team would offer more than fhis

Last edited by a moderator:

RedWingsfan55

Jan 5, 2015
Itd be the best move for Detroit if were able to acquire picks/prospects for Howard. It's how good GMs rebuild.

But we have holland. He is more likely to give him 5m at 5 years full ntc than actually move him for picks.

I'm a huge Howard fan always have been. But the best situation for the team would be trade him for picks then resign him in the offseason for 2 or 3 years.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Doesn't Howard have a NTC or NMC? Why would he waive that to go to STL? And with STL at the bottom of the league why do they NEED Howard on an expiring and given his age???

That's where I'm at on this as well. Even we're ahead of St. Louis right now, why would they try to get him this season?

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Does STL think they're a good goalie away from playoffs THIS season at the deficit they're already in, in the Central with Nashville, Jets, Wild, Avs? I get they might get a wild card spot given how much the Pacific blows this season but holy moly that seems like a reach.

And I just don't get why they'd go for Jimmy this year if they didn't think that way.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
Does STL think they're a good goalie away from playoffs THIS season at the deficit they're already in, in the Central with Nashville, Jets, Wild, Avs? I get they might get a wild card spot given how much the Pacific blows this season but holy moly that seems like a reach.

And I just don't get why they'd go for Jimmy this year if they didn't think that way.

Maybe Armstrong is really feeling the pressure and thinks they can get a wild card berth?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
This is St.Louis not Edmonton they aren't that stupid to give up Kyrou for Howard. Ask for a defense prospect or 2nd round pick and call it a day.

St. Louis biggest problem is their goaltending, by far, relatively, to any team.

Imo they should overpay, they still have lots of young talent on less meaningless position

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
So Bernier blows and looks like a huge mistake

Howard plays awesome and looks like he's keeping this team afloat

And the consensus is to trade Howard?

Ok

1) You can't trade Bernier for anything. He's got no value. Howard, because he's playing so well, has value.

2) Dreger is tossing out names like Jordan Kyrou or Robert Thomas. I'd deal Howard today to land talent like those guys, especially considering he's a pending UFA. Now I don't trust that valuation, but if you can get anything close to that, you're almost a fool not to. I mean, the Lions traded Golden Tate for a 3rd and it was actually a good, level-headed future sighted move. They didn't expect it would kill them as bad as it did, but it was still a better move because they weren't going to be able to re-sign him for a palatable deal.

3) Much as I'm loath to admit it, it is a better idea for the Wings to fall back in the standings a tad. Actually do love Howard a lot and don't want them to trade him... but if you can get great value for him AND we get a better shot at Jack Hughes, I can't reasonably argue against it.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
1) You can't trade Bernier for anything. He's got no value. Howard, because he's playing so well, has value.

2) Dreger is tossing out names like Jordan Kyrou or Robert Thomas. I'd deal Howard today to land talent like those guys, especially considering he's a pending UFA. Now I don't trust that valuation, but if you can get anything close to that, you're almost a fool not to. I mean, the Lions traded Golden Tate for a 3rd and it was actually a good, level-headed future sighted move. They didn't expect it would kill them as bad as it did, but it was still a better move because they weren't going to be able to re-sign him for a palatable deal.

3) Much as I'm loath to admit it, it is a better idea for the Wings to fall back in the standings a tad. Actually do love Howard a lot and don't want them to trade him... but if you can get great value for him AND we get a better shot at Jack Hughes, I can't reasonably argue against it.
Very well said. At the moment it's simply good business for Detroit to listen to offers, and see if there's a great deal to be made on anybody that isn't in their long term plans.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad