Post-Game Talk (GBU): Still soft

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I'm a bit hesitant to call for Housley's head. The most important measure of a coach (to me) is whether the team under or over preforms it's talent level. Looking at our roster I would say 10th in the East is probably about right, or even a slight over-performance. We only have 3 forwards that would be better than 4th liners on most teams.

I'm thinking we'll see at least 1 more season with both Housley and Botterill. That could change if the team really gives up down the stretch...

His usage belies any sort of capability to get more out of what he has than he does. He regularly saturates a single line with his only established players, when he does separate them out and gets traction from a second line, it doesn't last. He clearly ignores his analytics people when it comes to not only his forwards but more importantly his d-pairings. His powerplay is inept, his penalty killing spotty and his handling of goaltenders is haphazard rather than planned. There is no nuance to the man as a coach and the results are not good.

And then there is the dillweed who hired him and has done nothing all season to fill obvious, even glaring needs.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
I'm a bit hesitant to call for Housley's head. The most important measure of a coach (to me) is whether the team under or over preforms it's talent level. Looking at our roster I would say 10th in the East is probably about right, or even a slight over-performance. We only have 3 forwards that would be better than 4th liners on most teams.

I'm thinking we'll see at least 1 more season with both Housley and Botterill. That could change if the team really gives up down the stretch...
I normally would agree, but it seems like a Sabres team hasn't played for a coach since Lindy. They just don't seem to play for Housley, they are not out there giving 110%. If a coach can't get players to play for him/her then either move the core or move the coach.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
The players get the blame for losing. The coaches get the blame for effort and the GM gets the blame for the players on the ice.

If you honestly feel we are worthy of being the last place team since the beginning of January and you think the effort is there then by all means blame the players and the GM.
Yup, it starts at the top. Botts and Housley need to be fire, especially Botts since he can fo the most damage .

Onslow

Mar 25, 2015
Here and There
If I never have to see Sobotka on the ice again, it’ll be way too soon. I’m so tired of Phil throwing him out there and watching his line get hemmed in over and over again. The guy should get 8 minutes of ice time at most. I hope to god he’s gone next season.

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
We really don't deserve this ****.
Broadly speaking, I agree.

But man, some isolated Sabres fans got ugly when we were winning. I wonder where those guys are that would go over to the Blues boards every day and tell them how they sucked because ROR is leeching the life from their team, and telling them that their team is tanking even if they're too daft to see it. Fans like that might deserve this shit.

Gordo21

Feb 9, 2017
It's almost like the Nagativeness of the board acts as a self fulfilling prophecy for the fate of this team.

Shut it down Terry!

Reactions: MagnumForce2

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm
This certainly does bring a hyper focus upon all the players on this team.. A reality check, seems in order... Who is over/under performing with an eye to the future as well..
Once established , in a forgiving light in this age of diluted talent allowing 30 more low character cheap ahl lifers..
..woeful backup goalies exposed with big minutes can be a challenge but does create a situation where coaching matters ...creating buy in by young boy millionaires being most impostant thing along with protecting team and confidence w matchups.
If effort and attitude are the only things each player can control ..this comes back to the gm to keep these guys engaged and willimg to give extra effort to step up when their star player is injured and playin at 75*. Was Scandella injured most of the seasonas well?.
Should a coach take advatage of wins banked and force heal these players knowing the Team is not good enough for playoffs if Jack isnt transendental, like he showed us before the break.?
Would we have theses problems ar all...if we had a hard nosed coach that didnt wait and hope and called his players out in the locker room as the Panthers Ducks and many others learned you could cheap shot jack skinner and reinhart ..bull rush and chesp shot pilut and dahlin with No response? ..

Almost 60 games in our team is beat up and Okposo risked his health in frustration by finishing checks and not backing down.

The problem for us in hf land is incomplete information..

As far as Phil is concerned. Yes we see bad matchups and As a player he was soft and just because he preaches doesnt mean his team will listen and put playwrs in the hospital for injuring our young stars or camping like Occupy (goalie name here)

These weaknesses have been seen on film throughout the league and Botts turtles just like his team.

Anyway ..apologies for bad grammar on the phone and long winded to make this point..
All of this is solved by a gm five games after the streak feeling like the team needed at least a sniper for mitts or a replacemnet to take pressure off and help Jack or buy some honorable backbone in a tough power forward to fight and play fast or a D willing to protect our guys and help our goalies by consistently creating film of guys getting destroyed near our net aa we listen to "we must respect our end"..
I must lay this on Botts... a GM helps his team and fixes a team by admitting areas they have been exposed quickly even if you must overpay to protect health ..confidence and momentum of a young and injury fragile team that proved it had heart..
By sending them out night after night with too many developing and learning you risk the players losing their struggle with Effort and Attitude.. You canmot fire our formerly soft playee now coach when you strip him of folignos and Desaulier amd replace a 2c with a KHL 3rd line center that cant sniff the net.. I believe Pbil may succeed with a D that listens to him by pinching and playing like Korab or Schoenfeld. I am afraid that he has no respect when demanding retribution or protection or calling them soft in front is f the net or yourh losing possession finishing checks by being full of themselves after playing well. We get too happy with ouselves after goals and wins..

After the streak Botts shouldnt be building a perfect team in two years on paper by evaluating this year but nor losing them and playin at a high level by buying guys to at least shame us to being responsible and honrable in a league without enforcers.. Botts hired a cereberal teacher Cool...You musr. purchase a fast skating guy who has their backs if the coach doesnt..Self awareness not a rigid plan.. If Skinner backs out Ill be the first in line to Uber Botts back to Pitts.. Its days away from the deadline and Olofson and Nylander getting their shot but we needed another Skinner thar could fight and give our hands team the space it needed to have fun.. I hope Im wromg

Last edited:

Gordo21

Feb 9, 2017
I'm confused... when do we start our heroic end of season run to 9th place? o_O
Team looks mentally worn down. It's what happens to teams that aren't deep where there are unrealistic expectations put upon them.

Haven't liked Eichel body language for some time. He's one person. Needs to try and find ways to settle down. Too much pressure on him. Mostly of his own doing I'm guessing.

This team doesn't have a Marner and Tavares to help him out.

Also, unlike most of the posters here, I think the Sabres will look completely incompetent if they fire Housley or Botts after this relatively short period. Who in God's name will want to coach this team with the GM and Coach carousel they will have created.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheStorm

Sep 15, 2015
Pittsburgh,PA

Please god no I couldn't take another season of Housley

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
I'm not sure I have ever seen a team more in need of a hardass, respected coach than this group. And it's not like we're the Oilers where the roster is a total disaster. Don't get me wrong it's not great but this team could and would be better than this with a real presence behind the bench to install some structure and some discipline. Too often we look like a hockey team trying to keep up with an NHL team. Guys seem to not know what to do with the puck at least half of the time. Seemingly almost every opponent we play is more sound in the details of their game than us and it shows in the flow of the game.

It's coaching and it's never been more obvious. Hey Botts how about showing a damn pulse man because this isn't acceptable with the talent on this team.

When I saw those two programmed PP zone entries mentioned in one of my GDT posts tonight that resulted in turnovers, followed up by the idiocy that led to the EN shorthanded goal, I just told myself enough is enough.

I gave Housley a pass last season when he explained Sabre passing and possession deficiencies being the result of having to teach guys some fundamentals. But that's not what I'm seeing now. He's guilty of imposing a system of play that doesn't produce results and the players know it. They are no longer motivated to play at the necessary levels of intensity for 60 minutes because the results aren't going to be positive.

That ain't supposed to be how it is done but today's NHL hockey player does not have the same perspective players of 10, 20 and 30 years ago held.

The team has known roster deficiencies but the franchise at one time employed a couple of different coaches who were well known and respected for getting the most of their rosters irrespective of talent. That's not within Phil Housley's forte.

Hasekperreault23

Nov 23, 2018

I disagree..we have a decent top 6 and a nice checking line..Yes Mitts has struggled as a rookie but I'm on 3 forwards that aren't 4 the liners? If the owners care about this team at all they will tell Botts Housley goes now like tomorrow get a legit head coach to evaluate rest of season.If Botts doesn't he can go to.If Botts doesn't make Oreilly trade we are in top 6 easily He better think of his job.Shed some vets at deadline for anything, draft your 3 first rounders and sign 2-3 free agents but get Skinner signed now I am sick of give Housley another year crap he is horrible and team is never prepared to play that's on him.Our fanbase has suffered enough, enough of hiring assistance this crap

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Honestly **** Harrington for that. He's one of those guys who called out people who pointed out how badly the Sabres were outplayed when they went 10-0 and constantly dismisses people who dig into underlying stats. He doesn't get to turn around and ask a player a question like that. Have some balls and ask the coach and GM that instead of constantly lobbing softballs their way.

Such an ahole.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm
After all that beside botts I want to tell this team to have fun and stop gripping those sticks, play detailed ..finish checks like the Detroit game and you will have fun..
Botts .. Cmon man they deserve some help.. I have no idea now as any move is probably a month or two late.. Imagine a good team then take your three best players away ..injured.. can you still compete. How bad do you want it kid?

Endless Ike

Jul 21, 2004
Seattle, WA
I am not prepared to make Housley the scapegoat for this series of stupid and uninspired hockey. Maybe a yeller and screamer might get more out of this team for a few games but that type of coach does not last long because he gets tuned out. Housley may be tuned out too--and maybe he is not the best guy for the job here-but if so then the players lack the intestinal fortitude and will to win that they need to win in the NHL. And not everyone needs to be a leader--but you do need someone who will drive the rest of the team into the fray even when they want to give up. Someone who will shame the players who will not play with urgency or pay the price to win each and every puck battle or race for the puck. We have skaters and we have skill. We do not have players with heart for whom winning is the most important thing they do on the ice-or at least not enough of them. Winning is contagious but so is losing if you lack mental toughness. Coaching will not give this team the courage and spirit it needs. Botterill has to see this and do something-too late for this year unfortunately.

Coaches are more than motivational speakers. If Housley can't get them in a position where they can win games, they're going to tune out whatever his temperament.

Reactions: Rasmi

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
yeah, I saw that live.

Sorry Zach, you didn't convince me of ****. Compete, and come out victorious, in a game that matters, then you'll be more convincing.
Same goes for the rest of the team.
He is such a fake garbage Dion Phaneuf style tough guy. Goes at it with that dude in warmups and then gets totally clowned in the game. If he's one of our leaders there's a gigantic problem right there.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Team looks mentally worn down. It's what happens to teams that aren't deep where there are unrealistic expectations put upon them.

Haven't liked Eichel body language for some time. He's one person. Needs to try and find ways to settle down. Too much pressure on him. Mostly of his own doing I'm guessing.

This team doesn't have a Marner and Tavares to help him out.

Also, unlike most of the posters here, I think the Sabres will look completely incompetent if they fire Housley or Botts after this relatively short period. Who in God's name will want to coach this team with the GM and Coach carousel they will have created.

But Eichel isn’t JUST one guy. He’s the team captain. HE wanted that letter and everything that came with it. The team wanted him to have that letter and everything that came with it.
He’s not the first captain that was in an organization that struggled to take the next step. He needs to stop moping and take the reigns. It’s easy to be a captain when you’re winning. What speaks volume is how you handle the pressure and respond when you’re struggling.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I am not prepared to make Housley the scapegoat for this series of stupid and uninspired hockey. Maybe a yeller and screamer might get more out of this team for a few games but that type of coach does not last long because he gets tuned out. Housley may be tuned out too--and maybe he is not the best guy for the job here-but if so then the players lack the intestinal fortitude and will to win that they need to win in the NHL. And not everyone needs to be a leader--but you do need someone who will drive the rest of the team into the fray even when they want to give up. Someone who will shame the players who will not play with urgency or pay the price to win each and every puck battle or race for the puck. We have skaters and we have skill. We do not have players with heart for whom winning is the most important thing they do on the ice-or at least not enough of them. Winning is contagious but so is losing if you lack mental toughness. Coaching will not give this team the courage and spirit it needs. Botterill has to see this and do something-too late for this year unfortunately.
We did the culture change bullshit this offseason and it was a total disaster and you want to do it AGAIN? You know what's going to happen if we go that route: Sam being shipped out for garbage. We have a GM who is 100% capable of doing something that completely stupid, don't kid yourself.

Gordo21

Feb 9, 2017
But Eichel isn’t JUST one guy. He’s the team captain. HE wanted that letter and everything that came with it. The team wanted him to have that letter and everything that came with it.
He’s not the first captain that was in an organization that struggled to take the next step. He needs to stop moping and take the reigns. It’s easy to be a captain when you’re winning. What speaks volume is how you handle the pressure and respond when you’re struggling.
I was talking from a hockey perspective.

But your point is well taken regarding the captaincy. He's showing that he is still a relative young kid right now with his body language. I saw a ton of leadership in him first half of season though. I'm certainly not giving up on him as a captain.

Personally, like many of the younger guys who get a lot of ice time on this team, I think he's starting to wear down some mentally.

Reactions: Rasmi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad