Post-Game Talk (GBU): Still soft

Tyler2829

Jun 20, 2009
Rochester, NY
Horrid. The body language and demeanor is awful. Shame on me for thinking this team was anything but what we’ve seen for the last 35 games.

Nonchalance everywhere. Nobody with the ability to score aside from the first line. No victories along the walls, no puck battles won. The losses at the start of the season were tolerable - they didn’t look like this.

Reinhart said they played with urgency. :biglaugh:

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
Horrid. The body language and demeanor is awful. Shame on me for thinking this team was anything but what we’ve seen for the last 35 games.

Nonchalance everywhere. Nobody with the ability to score aside from the first line. No victories along the walls, no puck battles won. The losses at the start of the season were tolerable - they didn’t look like this.
They looked like this against the Bruins at the start of the season

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
He finally picked 3 names out of a hat to form what looked like a promising 2nd offensive line in Mittelstadt between Sheary and Reinhart. Mittelstadt sits out a couple games due to injury and Reinhart's back with Eichel - so frustrating.

I'm done with Botterill, seen enough, I don't trust his judgement, not in evaluating coaches or players plus he had a chance to sign Reinhart to a reasonably priced longer deal and rejected it for a penny wise pound foolish bridge deal. So much for his reputation as a cap genius.
But hey he brought in some cap dumps so Reinhart couldnt be signed long term.

Reactions: sabremike

Lloydchristmas138

Aug 3, 2010
This season was blown when absolutely nothing was done to fix the scoring behind Eichel. Calling up CJ Smith was the only roster move all season, that's just a joke.. when the issues were so obvious. Now we're the Colorado Avalanche of the East with a worn out top line, no offensive depth and shaky at best defense and goaltending. I think this roster stinks at the moment, and I think Botterill knows it. He needs to turn those 1st rounders into great players or we're ******* ..That win streak was so much fun but the biggest pile of fools gold ever..... and Housley sucks. St.Louis 1st and Guhle for Lamiorello and Trotz?

Last edited:

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Bad on defense btw
6c1bc38133.png

Reactions: GrierIsGod123

Hasekperreault23

Nov 23, 2018
Our middle 6 are guys like Sheary, Mitts, Okposo, Pominville, Thompson, Sobotka, and E-Rod. Can you look at that list and tell me that any of those guys would be in the top 9 of a good team? The young guys have the potential to be legitimate 2nd+3rd liners, but they aren't playing at that level this season. A good team probably would've left Mitts + Thompson in the AHL for at least parts of this season, if not the entire season.

There are a lot of red flags with Housley. Player usage, team effort, stupid defensive mistakes, etc.

I'm not trying to say he's a great coach, or even a good one. I'm saying that the team is playing to it's talent level, and that he's not a TERRIBLE coach that deserves to be fired in year 2 of a rebuild/retool/whatever you want to call it.
Where is Larsson, Girgensons?..putting Reinhart with Mitts and Sheary is one line.Erod with Smith and Thompson is a young protected line who should get favorable matchups and the Larry Girgs, and Okposo line was a very effective checking line.Eichel,skinner, Poms.There not too bad but hold on lets put Reinhart with Eichel and Skinner which effectively ruins the Mitts line like the idiot did.They play well together Housley breaks it up.Prime example that the coach is not an NHL coach and can't get the most out of our players and structure is bad is Montreal and the Islanders.Montreal was supposed to be at the bottom everyone predicted that and Islanders bottom 10.They will both make the playoffs because they have a coach quit giving this guy excuses.

Buf fan in Nash

Jul 18, 2018
Nashville, TN
Looked like we were dominating this game until NJ's first goal. Eichel got tripped up and looked visibly upset and slowly skulked back to the bench for a line change and NJ gets a 2 on 1 break and score. Looks like the team lost a step after that. Schneider played really well too.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
He asked questions the fans would ask. And rightfully so.

I not only condone his line of questioning, I believe it's completely fair to ask those questions directly to the players, the one's who actually play the game on the ice. He specifically asked Bogo if this is who the Buffalo Sabres are now. As a fan, I not only find that question pertinent, in an attempt to gauge where the players are with what is unfolding, but I also firmly believe it's his job to get the story out to us fans, since it is more than obvious we aren't buying the vanilla being sold to us by "the company tow boys", which is the broadcasters and local sports commentators on air.

Harrington was doing his job, and he should continue to do it. If the players don't want to hear such questions, then might I suggest they change the direction of the conversation with their on ice play.

I’d be a lot more impressed if he wasn’t one of the idiots that loved the O’Reilly trade and culture.

He is a hack.

MrMaster

Apr 20, 2016
It looks outright comical when they start to cave in their own zone and try the man-to-man coverage, that is very much housleyesk. I like their system in general, it is miles ahead of bylsmas poo and chase, but this has got to stop. Has anyone else noticed that? It's as if they just mark their players, and just follow them around.

Significant standouts:

Eichel, one of his worst games i've seen, he must be hurt or otherwise i would be worried.

Mittelstadt loses his man defensively a lot of times. At the same time he shows immense hustle and is able to strip pucks on a regular basis. He shows a lot potential offensively, and made huge strides in that regard, in a relatively short period of time. He will start to rack up points soon enough. He is very exciting to watch, one of the few reasons i will still be watching games this year besides Dahlin.

Hunwick is toast

Hutton is not playing close to his performance during the win streak, shitty rebounds over and over again, losing sight of the puck, etc. He turned it around a bit last game, but it's too late now it seems.

McCabe will never be more than a 5/6 defender, he's just not that good.

eRod was not that good last night i thought, but he really progresses all the time, i'm starting to get excited about him. He could end up being Marner light(light), there are similarities definitely. That is if everything goes perfect and he hits his ceiling.

Last edited:

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
Pilut is an objective rag doll in the defensive zone.

Pilut's skill set also lends him spending less time there. A guy like Scandella might not be the worst in the d-zone (he kind of is this year) but his lack of puck skills means he spends the whole shift there. Even if Pilut's errors and weakness might be more glaring, the net result isn't as bad as guys who play better defense but never stop playing it while they're on the ice.

That said, Pilut desperately needs to get stronger.

Reactions: sabremike

Washed Up 29YearOld

Bro Do You Even Hockey?
Apr 29, 2018
Buffalo NY
GBU though:

-Eichel:
You see how much potential he has and feels he isn't being pushed hard enough or challenged. I won't question his worth ethic but if he had the will to win and determination like Crosby with more intensity he would be a megastar. Eichel is such a good stickhandler but how many times do you see him turn it over unforced trying to dangle through people. If he can figure out how to beat the defenders just 80% of those situations he would be unstoppable. I think he can hit 100pts but he needs a coach to challenge him and hold him accountable for what he is capable of. Eichel is a seriously gifted player, he just needs to learn to use his tools and what circumstances to use them which I think only a competent coach can do. I like that he's playing physically, he's a much stronger 2-way force this year but he's capable of so much more. He fits more of the power forward playmaking role which is why I think he will develop and peak a bit later. Purely skill guys of his draft are killing it but I see Jack truly breaking out 2 seasons from now. I'll give him a
=GOOD. he's at least working his ass off but he's capable of being so much better. I remember he was camped behind the net looking for a perfect pass, but when no one's open sometimes you just gotta drive to the net and do it yourself!

-Reinhart:
You see his vision and what he's capable of and you realize how good he really can be. If he developed on a team like Tampa from his rookie year, he'd already be a superstar 90 point pace player like you'd want from a 2nd overall. I'm overall pleased with his progress, but what I like about him most is that I know he hasn't scratched the surface of his potential and is improving so much game-to-game with the work ethic to be an elite player. Like Eichel, I'll give him a=GOOD but he's definitely not as good as he could be, if he played more intensely and worked harder he'd be a star. He made very smart and decisive plays.

-Skinner:
The hardest worker this game, created chances out of nothing with his deception and speed. If he had Eichel's hands and vision he would viewed as a legit superstar. Yes it's a contract year but he has the will to win that I wish every player had.=VERY GOOD.

-Sheary:
Confidence issues it seems like, he's got such a great shot, but he fails to keep possession or consistently win board battles. He is what he is at this point. A streaky 15-20 goal scorer who could be so much better if he fixed his weaknesses (new coach?) You cannot blame his effort but I give him a = GOOD for work ethic and BAD for many of his puck decisions.

-Mittelstadt:
Very impressed, he was flying. I never noticed his speed until this game. What's amazing about him is that he can skate full speed while dangling the puck without looking. What's also great is that he has creativity to match it with relatively good vision and the ability to make plays. With his stickhandling he reminds me of a lefthanded Tim Connolly (but who doesn't watch himself dangle and get hurt). If he can build off this momentum and get to some scoring areas, his development will take him far. You get a glimpse of how good he can be in the future. With higher scoring, would not be surprised in the least for him to be a PPG two way center. He's surprising me defensively, has intensity and tenacity. (and no let's please not trade him for William f'n Nylander). Not enough good things to say because earlier in the season he probably wouldn't be the best player for the Amerks.
= VERY GOOD

-Rodriquez:
Works hard, creates space, distributes the puck, great speed. Can be he had on the $cheap most likely. Every team needs a player like him. I admired his work ethic and intensity last night. = GOOD

-Larsson:
Sabres should keep him, he has the must needed grit the Sabres desperately lack. His tenacity, PKing may not be sexy as Peter Chiarelli might say but truly are invaluable. His work ethic is strong, every Sabres needs to play with similar intensity = GOOD

-Girgensons:
Similar to Larsson, they truly are the unsung heroes of this season and should definitely be retained and- if not- a similar player should replace. His forechecking and willingness to win puck battles is essential to any winning team. I'd noticed several instances of him stripping pucks and winning battles but they don't always lead to possession. His work ethic is exactly what this team needs.= GOOD.

-Thompson:
He clearly can't think the game at the NHL level. Doesn't mean he's a bust, but he needs time in the AHL to dominate and build confidence first. The skills are definitely there, but some of his decision-making is the kind of plays where you just say out loud " i could have made a better play" [as a fan]. I think that he has a lot of potential to be an absolute force. But the kind of game he plays is the kind of game that can be developed in the A. Obviously too late for that now, but despite the ROR trade let's hope the NHL is the best route to develop thus far for our fan base's collective sanity. He made a play on the PP when he was playing the point where he looked like he had no clue what he was going to do, eventually losing possession, and I was embarrassed that I suggested he play on PP2 on this site. (lol). He's just not that good..now = BAD

-Smith:
Made a few rookie mistakes as all rookies do. Overall, I like him to play a speed fore-checking game. Would love to see Girgensons-Larsson-Smith over ZG-JL-KO. Smith's offensive upside may hinder him from a top 9 role, it all depends how he's developed. It's good he's getting games, things like knowing just how much shorter time you have to dump it in at the NHL level is why he should be here. = GOOD/BAD

-Sobokta:
Someone here (forgot who) nailed it by saying "he does just enough to look competent" but is basically useless. Who else is going to player center? It's not his fault he's way past his prime, although the effort is there. He simply is not an impact player. = BAD

-Pominville:
Only effective with Skinner-Eichel. When Phil unites him he takes him off right away at the first mistake. If the only reason you're keeping up Pommer is to mix him with Eichel, you're not maximizing your roster. Just call up Olofsson for Skinner-Eichel-Olofsson. (I think the Sabres secretly have a 30 goal scorer hidden in the A) Rodriquez/Sheary-Mittelstadt-Reinhart
= BAD (away from JS-JE)

-Dahlin:
Exceptionally good with few rookie mistakes. He needs to practice nothing but keeping the puck in at the blueline. You imagine at what he can become. He looks more comfortable every night, and looks more comfortable to make plays/ offensive rushes to drive play. He's becoming the 'man' on the blue-line and it's a beauty to see. = GOOD

Ristolainen:
Much needed grit on the blueline, makes a few mistakes, but having a competent partner is crucial for his success. He is getting better overall with his puck decisions as the season goes on but still is not at the level you'd want for a top 4 d-man. He can improve. He did more good than bad last night, but overall had 'just another Risto game' = GOOD/ BAD

Pilut:
I was his biggest advocate but it's clear he needs to play more physically at this level. I didn't really notice it as an Amerk but I was a bit surprised by his awkward acceleration. He needs to rush the puck up ice,
HE NEEDS TO FEEL FREE TO MAKE MISTAKES. This is what's holding him back the most IMO. He just doesn't have that confidence that you'd have if you know you'll still play after a few mistakes. He is learning and improving, he definitely has the skills to be a top 4 d-man. But until he adjusts he's closer to a #5 [on a good team] who NEEDS to get stronger and throw the body, overall though= GOOD.

-Bogosian:
A strong physical game but as a leader he needs to inspire his team to elevate their play and i didnt see it. Overall the good outweighs the bad but he has to process the game faster. I also think he has more offensive abilities
than how he plays as. He needs to use his speed to break out of the zone and drive play. = BAD/GOOD.

-McCabe:
He started off this season very strong and was surprised to admit that he was a top 4 d-man. Since his injury he just hasn't been the same. His timing is off, he needs to make simpler plays. = BAD

Thank you for reading my high-effort GBU post novel.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Looked like we were dominating this game until NJ's first goal. Eichel got tripped up and looked visibly upset and slowly skulked back to the bench for a line change and NJ gets a 2 on 1 break and score. Looks like the team lost a step after that. Schneider played really well too.

Oddly, I thought he looked hurt, not sullen.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
Good enough for what? It has 3 top 6 NHL forwards, and probably 4 regulars that shouldn't be in the league. It has fewer top 6 NHLers than a last place forward group did last year, though they're all having good seasons.
Compare them to other teams- we have some talent here that is elite, but it's all being strung up together and easy to game against. Of course the team can get better, and has some additions before it'll make a cup, but it's not as bad as the pace it's been playing for 2 months.

This team is easily talented enough to be a wildcard or 3rd in division. Unlike under Bylsma, the system isn't holding them back this time either. It's the coaching decisions that's undermining the team. He flirts with the right ideas, it looks great for a small period on the ice, and then he reverts away from it to the same old failed groupings. It's so silly.

This team shouldn't be digging graves against the Rangers or the Devils like it is. Yes, they outplayed both these teams, but they couldn't finish anything and barely more than a line or two could get anything going. So silly. There's enough players to put out 4 working lines out there, but instead it comes down to only maybe two, and any team in the league can survive a two line team in the long-run if they game for it. Their defense do not get tired, unlike ours, and they come out strong to end every game as a result.

Deleted member 27798

As far as being "soft", I've been saying for two years now that after they got rid of Foligno, Carrier and Des, they needed to replace that "grit". There is more to building a successful team than just bringing in skilled offensive players. Not sure when Botts plans on addressing this.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
Pilut is an objective rag doll in the defensive zone.

Pilut's skill set also lends him spending less time there. A guy like Scandella might not be the worst in the d-zone (he kind of is this year) but his lack of puck skills means he spends the whole shift there. Even if Pilut's errors and weakness might be more glaring, the net result isn't as bad as guys who play better defense but never stop playing it while they're on the ice.

That said, Pilut desperately needs to get stronger.

For the most part Pilut's strengths far outweigh his weaknesses. But for the love of god, just once can we play against a team that has bone-headed mental lapses like the one where Pilut just waves and misses at the weak floater across the rink, and in the process just lets the winger blow past him uncontested into the zone. Dahlin had one of those earlier this year too...

upload_2019-2-18_12-19-17.png

I get it, Those breaks in concentration are just our youth showing through. I remember many times playing in men's leagues against a high school hockey team, as they try to stay active and fresh through the summer break. At first we'd kill those kids by scores of 20-2, but we all knew that once those kids matured a bit and learned how to play against men, those scores would get flipped. And it never failed, same group of kids the following summer would hand our asses to us consistently...

This team is further away than just replacing some of the dead weight, they need some grit and a lot more finish. But you can see it with this Sabres team, once they have 21-year-old Dahlin & Mitts, playing alongside Jack, Sam, et al, they're going to be stupid good. But this process is certainly frustrating to watch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad