Post-Game Talk (GBU): Still soft

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
Kings fan but live in Buffalo and follow the Sabres. Have to say, over these years it's always been finger pointing at the coach but with Housley I really do think he is the problem.

The quick goals allowed after scoring one, the inability to string together 2 wins and the defensive zone breakdowns. Gotta put it on the coach, but obviously the roster needs work as well.

I think you should can him, but at the same time what great coaching candidate is going to want to come to an organization that has had a revolving door of coaches the last few years? The guy can only assume he's going to have a 2 year shelf life. It's a tough situation.

2 years of work and making 3+ million per year for up to 5 years? Sounds like a no-brainer to me. Especially when you consider they're sitting at home doing nothing. Where do I sign up?

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
We did the culture change bull**** this offseason and it was a total disaster and you want to do it AGAIN? You know what's going to happen if we go that route: Sam being shipped out for garbage. We have a GM who is 100% capable of doing something that completely stupid, don't kid yourself.
Trading one of the few guys who will stand in front of the net and take a pounding to create scoring chances? I hope not. I had hoped Wilson would add some spark. I had hoped Thompson would use his size to better advantage. Our additions-Skinner, Sherry, Erod, Pilot, Mittelstadt while nice won't scare anyone. Either the team gets tougher because they get stronger and more experience or we need to trade lesser pieces, prospects or picks. Oloffson, NylAnder, Guhle will not help this team. Neither will a late first round pick. Not soon enough. I know part of my disappointment arises from the fools gold that was our ten game win streak. But I have seen some really good games. Trouble is that teams that play a hard nosed tight checking, forechecking game with lots of cycling give us more than we can handle

Buff15Sabres

Mar 23, 2017
I disagree..we have a decent top 6 and a nice checking line..Yes Mitts has struggled as a rookie but I'm on 3 forwards that aren't 4 the liners? If the owners care about this team at all they will tell Botts Housley goes now like tomorrow get a legit head coach to evaluate rest of season.If Botts doesn't he can go to.If Botts doesn't make Oreilly trade we are in top 6 easily He better think of his job.Shed some vets at deadline for anything, draft your 3 first rounders and sign 2-3 free agents but get Skinner signed now I am sick of give Housley another year crap he is horrible and team is never prepared to play that's on him.Our fanbase has suffered enough, enough of hiring assistance this crap

Our middle 6 are guys like Sheary, Mitts, Okposo, Pominville, Thompson, Sobotka, and E-Rod. Can you look at that list and tell me that any of those guys would be in the top 9 of a good team? The young guys have the potential to be legitimate 2nd+3rd liners, but they aren't playing at that level this season. A good team probably would've left Mitts + Thompson in the AHL for at least parts of this season, if not the entire season.

There are a lot of red flags with Housley. Player usage, team effort, stupid defensive mistakes, etc.

I'm not trying to say he's a great coach, or even a good one. I'm saying that the team is playing to it's talent level, and that he's not a TERRIBLE coach that deserves to be fired in year 2 of a rebuild/retool/whatever you want to call it.

Royisgone

Mar 7, 2012
Pretty sure it was Harrington
It sure was! Harrington was in fine form tonight, blasting everyone and anyone who would listen with a powerful weapon: the truth.

He rattled poor little Sammy boy's cage, Housley's cage, and had Bogo really annoyed.

He was basically saying "you guys suck and here's why...so tell me why the playoff race isn't over?!"

Loved it.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Fire the baffoon. Been a Botts supporter but hes sitting on his hands with the Baffoon that has no idea how to coach these players. And for f***s sake, dont go trading for players now, that shoyks have been done a month ago. So frustrating supporting this team.

Reactions: sabremike

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015
It sure was! Harrington was in fine form tonight, blasting everyone and anyone who would listen with a powerful weapon: the truth.

He rattled poor little Sammy boy's cage, Housley's cage, and had Bogo really annoyed.

He was basically saying "you guys suck and here's why...so tell me why the playoff race isn't over?!"

Loved it.

This is what you want? A guy with a tape recorder who just goes around saying to the players, "So, you guys suck now, eh? Talk about that."

He's like a dril tweet come to life as a sports "reporter." Let's not condone this behavior.

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015
"Talk about the CBA. Uh huh. Yeah. Yup. Good points. Buddy, they won't even let me *inaudible*"

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010

Loved it.

He asked questions the fans would ask. And rightfully so.

This is what you want? A guy with a tape recorder who just goes around saying to the players, "So, you guys suck now, eh? Talk about that."

He's like a dril tweet come to life as a sports "reporter." Let's not condone this behavior.

I not only condone his line of questioning, I believe it's completely fair to ask those questions directly to the players, the one's who actually play the game on the ice. He specifically asked Bogo if this is who the Buffalo Sabres are now. As a fan, I not only find that question pertinent, in an attempt to gauge where the players are with what is unfolding, but I also firmly believe it's his job to get the story out to us fans, since it is more than obvious we aren't buying the vanilla being sold to us by "the company tow boys", which is the broadcasters and local sports commentators on air.

Harrington was doing his job, and he should continue to do it. If the players don't want to hear such questions, then might I suggest they change the direction of the conversation with their on ice play.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Horrid. The body language and demeanor is awful. Shame on me for thinking this team was anything but what we’ve seen for the last 35 games.

Nonchalance everywhere. Nobody with the ability to score aside from the first line. No victories along the walls, no puck battles won. The losses at the start of the season were tolerable - they didn’t look like this.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY

I am at the point where I just hate everything about this organization so much that I have no problem with Harrington doing a Stuttering John routine because it amuses me and they f***ing deserve it.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
I forgot this team played today, glad I missed it. I guess I am already in summer mode and over hockey as of a couple weeks ago. Last game I didnt remember they played til the 3rd period and watched misery from there.

I'll come back when Housley is fired.

I was so disappointed with the Housley hire but I still gave him the benefit of the doubt because I want to see the Sabres succeed but damn did he ever prove me right.

It's funny going back to the first few pages when Housley was hired and the feathers I rustled over the hire lol

Good times.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I think this sums it up: they got beaten convincingly by a team icing a roster that would have it's hands full playing an AHL team. Total disgrace.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
The roster is good enough. The system is good enough. The player usage completely undermines all of it though.

Why is Reinhart with Eichel when he has proven time and time again to be a lazy chump when with his buddy?

Why is Sobotka even playing center anymore? Why would you put Rodrigues on the wing when Mittelstadt came back?

Why are you not demanding a new player from Rochester to replace Sobotka?

Why don’t we have a single stable d pair 3/4 of the way into the season?

It rests on Housley for me. It switches to Botterill in the off-season if no change is made.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hasek

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
The roster is good enough. The system is good enough. The player usage completely undermines all of it though.

Why is Reinhart with Eichel when he has proven time and time again to be a lazy chump when with his buddy?

Why is Sobotka even playing center anymore? Why would you put Rodrigues on the wing when Mittelstadt came back?

Why are you not demanding a new player from Rochester to replace Sobotka?

Why don’t we have a single stable d pair 3/4 of the way into the season?

It rests on Housley for me. It switches to Botterill in the off-season if no change is made.
Good enough for what? It has 3 top 6 NHL forwards, and probably 4 regulars that shouldn't be in the league. It has fewer top 6 NHLers than a last place forward group did last year, though they're all having good seasons.

Josh007007

Jan 17, 2019
Only the stupidity of the Sabres would favour piss poor useless vets over young guys

Pommy, KO, sabotka, scandella (where Hubwick is already better in)

Yultron

Apr 18, 2017
If Housley is the coach of this next year I am not sure I can continue. Its so painful.

He won’t be , you know how we operate and how impatient Pegula is and I am sure Botterill is just as frustrated. Last season Housley got a pass because it was his first season and Botterill had reason to give him a second chance because everyone deserves a second chance . And if we saw what Joe Sacco did with Colorado going last to first I had hoped Housley could turn it around.

But going from first in the league to a total collapse and not winning 2 games in a row for 3 months and for the second season now the same issues are occurring Housley has absolutely no leverage like he did last year . But entering year 3 of Botterills plan and with incredibly young players like Eichel , Dahlin , Reinhart , Middlestadt etc Botterill and Pegula both want to turn a corner so in my view Housley is as good as gone and if he is brought back which he won’t be I will also not watch this team until he gets the boot.

We need a legit NHL coach or a legit coach with coaching experience and there is two guys out there right now who are perfect .

1.) Joel Quienville , 3 Stanley Cups , developed Seabrook , Keith, Kane , Toews etc enough said

2.) Sheldon Keefe : at some point he is going to get snatched up, won the Calder Cup with the Toronto Marlies at age 37, has been instrumental with a lot of the Maples Leafs young players in there lineup in ther development and preparing them for the show especially this season with Rasmus Sandin . If we are hiring any rookie head coach it’s gotta be him and he can be the long term solution hopefully as at only age 38 his track record in Junior with the Soo Greyhounds and with the Marlies is absolutely incredible

Josh007007

Jan 17, 2019
The only way housley is fired is
1. Nxt season they come out with a 10 game winless streak
And/or the team gives up on him (like the vets did last year)

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Scratching players for no reason is a very valid development strategy.
An AHL allstar who has gotten progressively worse with each game, with his confidence deteriorating, is due for a demotion.

Scratching him on this current team teaches him nothing.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
He finally picked 3 names out of a hat to form what looked like a promising 2nd offensive line in Mittelstadt between Sheary and Reinhart. Mittelstadt sits out a couple games due to injury and Reinhart's back with Eichel - so frustrating.

I'm done with Botterill, seen enough, I don't trust his judgement, not in evaluating coaches or players plus he had a chance to sign Reinhart to a reasonably priced longer deal and rejected it for a penny wise pound foolish bridge deal. So much for his reputation as a cap genius.

Reactions: Chainshot

Gordo21

Feb 9, 2017
I tend to be quick to defend Pilut, but he's been pretty bad for a while and noticeably tonight.
He was completely used on the game clincher last night.

It looked like he saw a stop sign on the back of the Devil jersey or something.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->