Post-Game Talk (GBU): Still soft

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
That 1st round pick we might get for Skinner after he nopes his way out of this organization is going to be about 5 picks higher than the 2nd we gave up for him at this rate.

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
I doubt it’s the answer but Fire Housley, promote Taylor and if he does well enough with the time left in the season, offer him something - unless a guy like Q is interested? I don’t doubt the roster anymore - I doubt the coach.

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
I'm not sure I have ever seen a team more in need of a hardass, respected coach than this group. And it's not like we're the Oilers where the roster is a total disaster. Don't get me wrong it's not great but this team could and would be better than this with a real presence behind the bench to install some structure and some discipline. Too often we look like a hockey team trying to keep up with an NHL team. Guys seem to not know what to do with the puck at least half of the time. Seemingly almost every opponent we play is more sound in the details of their game than us and it shows in the flow of the game.

It's coaching and it's never been more obvious. Hey Botts how about showing a damn pulse man because this isn't acceptable with the talent on this team.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
I am not prepared to make Housley the scapegoat for this series of stupid and uninspired hockey. Maybe a yeller and screamer might get more out of this team for a few games but that type of coach does not last long because he gets tuned out. Housley may be tuned out too--and maybe he is not the best guy for the job here-but if so then the players lack the intestinal fortitude and will to win that they need to win in the NHL. And not everyone needs to be a leader--but you do need someone who will drive the rest of the team into the fray even when they want to give up. Someone who will shame the players who will not play with urgency or pay the price to win each and every puck battle or race for the puck. We have skaters and we have skill. We do not have players with heart for whom winning is the most important thing they do on the ice-or at least not enough of them. Winning is contagious but so is losing if you lack mental toughness. Coaching will not give this team the courage and spirit it needs. Botterill has to see this and do something-too late for this year unfortunately.

Reactions: brian_griffin

CrazyPsycho

Elite Drafter
Sep 25, 2003
Housley babied them in the post game this time..hes just grasping for anything at this point

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015
G:
they weren't even that bad for most of the game, they just gave up super-easy goals against, got robbed by Schneids a few times, and then sort of just packed it in in the third. Wait, actually, that seems bad....

B:
nevermind, who cares

U:
I sit around and think...would you rather be the Flyers, making a heroic run to 9th place, or the Sabres, doing *gesturing* whatever tf this is?

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011
Not only is this going to be the first team in NHL history to lead the entire league in November and end up missing the playoffs but they are going to do it convincingly....

FIRE UP THE TANK BOYS !!!

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Honestly f*** Harrington for that. He's one of those guys who called out people who pointed out how badly the Sabres were outplayed when they went 10-0 and constantly dismisses people who dig into underlying stats. He doesn't get to turn around and ask a player a question like that. Have some balls and ask the coach and GM that instead of constantly lobbing softballs their way.

Buff15Sabres

Mar 23, 2017
I'm a bit hesitant to call for Housley's head. The most important measure of a coach (to me) is whether the team under or over preforms it's talent level. Looking at our roster I would say 10th in the East is probably about right, or even a slight over-performance. We only have 3 forwards that would be better than 4th liners on most teams.

I'm thinking we'll see at least 1 more season with both Housley and Botterill. That could change if the team really gives up down the stretch...

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
I'm a bit hesitant to call for Housley's head. The most important measure of a coach (to me) is whether the team under or over preforms it's talent level. Looking at our roster I would say 10th in the East is probably about right, or even a slight over-performance. We only have 3 forwards that would be better than 4th liners on most teams.

I'm thinking we'll see at least 1 more season with both Housley and Botterill. That could change if the team really gives up down the stretch...
The players get the blame for losing. The coaches get the blame for effort and the GM gets the blame for the players on the ice.

If you honestly feel we are worthy of being the last place team since the beginning of January and you think the effort is there then by all means blame the players and the GM.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad