Equipment: Sticks: What do you use, what do you love/hate, and what's next?

gswift

Mar 27, 2013
I just picked up a 25K Ribcor 75flex for 25% off...testing it out tomorrow

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Everyone seriously needs to get/try a Sherwood EK15....I have tried every high end stick and this thing is a pure beaut. It feels like half the weight of any other stick and is so balanced...the blade is so stiff too...

Glad to hear the new Sherwoods are still quality.

I just picked up my third Nexon N12 (2012) intermediate for $85. That's an amazing quality/price ratio.

PS12

Jun 28, 2013
Everyone seriously needs to get/try a Sherwood EK15....I have tried every high end stick and this thing is a pure beaut. It feels like half the weight of any other stick and is so balanced...the blade is so stiff too...

Just picked up an ek15. Im in love. My shot comes off so much faster. Got a p88. Concerned about durability since i use jr sticks but omg its so light.

Ive been using a pm9 bauer x4.0 and x3.0. Sticks are heavy compared to what i used to use which was a jr mission team comp with a jofa blade. Lol. Mid curve 5 degree loft. P88 seemed close to it but i thought i wanted it to be a bit deeper.

Its a 45 flex and my shot just rips right off the blade. My goalie wasnt used to me shooting that fast. I rang one off his helmet on my first shot. It really is easy to load up. I might try an intermediate just to see how that compares

It really feels like a great deal. This is the most expensive stick i ever bought. The old missions were almost as expensive. Went through 4 sticks in 4 games but i scored a lot.

That was also 10 years ago too heh.

Ducks Nation*

Mar 19, 2013
Just picked up an ek15. Im in love. My shot comes off so much faster. Got a p88. Concerned about durability since i use jr sticks but omg its so light.

Ive been using a pm9 bauer x4.0 and x3.0. Sticks are heavy compared to what i used to use which was a jr mission team comp with a jofa blade. Lol. Mid curve 5 degree loft. P88 seemed close to it but i thought i wanted it to be a bit deeper.

Its a 45 flex and my shot just rips right off the blade. My goalie wasnt used to me shooting that fast. I rang one off his helmet on my first shot. It really is easy to load up. I might try an intermediate just to see how that compares

It really feels like a great deal. This is the most expensive stick i ever bought. The old missions were almost as expensive. Went through 4 sticks in 4 games but i scored a lot.

I got the PP26 curve...looooveeeee it. I was worried about the durability too but I play in a super competitive league with stick on stick all day and nothing so far, haven't held back at all too.

mikitas donut

Flowers of Antimony
Sep 10, 2010
Northern Illinois
I use the N12 intermediate. Glad to hear the EK15 is awesome, but I use the Ryan curve, which isn't available on the EK15 intermediate. May switch to the p88. Heel curves don't seem to be all that common anymore.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I got the PP26 curve...looooveeeee it. I was worried about the durability too but I play in a super competitive league with stick on stick all day and nothing so far, haven't held back at all too.

I was worried about the fragility too so this was good to hear DN, especially the stick-on-stick part--that's what steered me away in the first place but will buy with confidence next time I'm in the market (hint: soon. damn 85 flex).

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto

45 flex ??? How did you not break it yet ? Do you take any slap shots with it ?

Shaun Bisson

Dec 3, 2012
Sarnia
Used a Stage 2 for the first time last night. Was using the original RBZ before.

Previously I was using an 85 flex Nuge curve cut to about 87. I bought a 75 flex Tavares curve and didn't cut it at all, so it was about a 58 inch stick vs a 59 inch stick.

Not only was my shot coming much more explosively, I liked the length for stick handling and puck control, which is weird because I'm usually a defenceman.

Another thing I noticed was the difference in the blade, which I didn't actually think would be that substantial. Overall I think CCM improved on the best stick I've ever seen.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I dont really take slap shots.

Time will tell how durable it is. It is so freakin light!

Are you tall ? I have a friend who also likes to use hockey sticks designed for children(sorry, but that's what they are meant for), he's not that tall and he doesn't have any reach, which makes it easy to get by him with dangles. He has a terrible shot with those sticks, but he can control the ball really well.
By the way, if you are tall (over 6' by my standards), you will be hunched over when you play, and that could cause you to have back problems.

PS12

Jun 28, 2013
Are you tall ? I have a friend who also likes to use hockey sticks designed for children(sorry, but that's what they are meant for), he's not that tall and he doesn't have any reach, which makes it easy to get by him with dangles. He has a terrible shot with those sticks, but he can control the ball really well.
By the way, if you are tall (over 6' by my standards), you will be hunched over when you play, and that could cause you to have back problems.

Lol
Then i guess im a child then. Thank you for concern about my height. I am 5 foot 4 inches and sometimes im hunched over like a hunchback. Back problems would be reflective of a weak core. :D

I only cut off 3 inches from the ek 15. It has a 4 inch flex free zone so flex is still 45. My other sticks were a lot shorter for the past few months on purpose. Many times people rely on the reach of their stick when they should be moving their feet. This has worked very well for me. Now that im using a longer jr stick i have better reach but im also in the habit of moving my feet.

I also wear size 4 junior skates which are also for children as well.

If your friend has a problem with his shooting then it might be the stick.
My shot looks like it improved since i got the ek15. My teammate noticed it and asked if i had been working on my shot cuz i was picking corners and ripping them off really fast.

I told him no man. Its the stick. Check it out. Its totally the stick.

Last edited:

Ducks Nation*

Mar 19, 2013
I was worried about the fragility too so this was good to hear DN, especially the stick-on-stick part--that's what steered me away in the first place but will buy with confidence next time I'm in the market (hint: soon. damn 85 flex).

Yeah my bauer APX blade cracked so I took the jump and man the stick is so light it feels like I can puck handle and defense with stick checks so much better the weight literally makes everything easier.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Lol
Then i guess im a child then. Thank you for concern about my height. I am 5 foot 4 inches and sometimes im hunched over like a hunchback. Back problems would be reflective of a weak core. :D

I only cut off 3 inches from the ek 15. It has a 4 inch flex free zone so flex is still 45. My other sticks were a lot shorter for the past few months on purpose. Many times people rely on the reach of their stick when they should be moving their feet. This has worked very well for me. Now that im using a longer jr stick i have better reach but im also in the habit of moving my feet.

I also wear size 4 junior skates which are also for children as well.

If your friend has a problem with his shooting then it might be the stick.
My shot looks like it improved since i got the ek15. My teammate noticed it and asked if i had been working on my shot cuz i was picking corners and ripping them off really fast.

I told him no man. Its the stick. Check it out. Its totally the stick.

You should take back problems seriously, they last a lifetime once you have them. Also, being hunched over might lead you to catch an elbow/shoulder in the face. I wouldn't take that risk if I were you.
When I was 5'4, I used uncut intermediate sticks (65 flex). I used to play defence back then, it helped me with my slapshots, poke checks and shot blocking.
I moved on to senior sticks when I was 5'6.

My friend has a very good shot, but not when he uses junior sticks, because of the short blade and the small windup. He can dangle with the best of them though.

It is nice to see how we all have different tastes in terms of equipment.

soap1984

Feb 21, 2014
Hi all, new to the boards; wish I had checked the thread out before I bought my first stick:shakehead

I played at a high level from 9-17 but didn't fill out much and stopped playing all together about 10 years ago. Just came back to the game and really am enjoying it but this stick business has really changed in the last ten years. I bought new gear and was sold a ccm stick in 87 flex and cut it down a tad (I'm 28, 5'9" 145) and my shot was brutal. I was chalking it up to the atrophying of my hockey skills/muscles but I read this thread and grabbed an intermediate (apx 2 with a 67 flex) and it made an unbelievable difference. I really like the stick; I don't take a lot of slap shots but the stick has held up well the past couple months. Guess I wanted to say thanks for the useful comments regarding sticks because I was completely lost and sold something completely inappropriate for me.

Caps2Fan

Jan 6, 2014
I'm obsessed with sticks. Kind of like when I played golf and all I wanted to do was buy wedges instead of actually playing.

Currently I am stuck between a SR Bauer APX2 77 flex cut down 1 inch with a P92 curve and an Intermediate Easton Mako M2 65 flex with an E28 curve. I hate the dimensions of the intermediate stick but it's the perfect length and closer to the right flex than the Bauer. I wish I could find either an intermediate stick with SR dimensions or a SR stick that can be cut down to the length I need it and still be no higher than a 75 flex. Not sure why there isn't at least one stick out there like that.

I hate all sticks with grip. Last stick prior to these two was a Bauer X80 grip with a P14 curve. I hated the grip and then destroyed the stick by cutting it too short and making it stiff as hell.

Next stick in line - not sure about make or model, but I want to try one with a neutral to closed face. Not sure why, just want to try it because I'm a stick monger.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I'm obsessed with sticks. Kind of like when I played golf and all I wanted to do was buy wedges instead of actually playing.

Currently I am stuck between a SR Bauer APX2 77 flex cut down 1 inch with a P92 curve and an Intermediate Easton Mako M2 65 flex with an E28 curve. I hate the dimensions of the intermediate stick but it's the perfect length and closer to the right flex than the Bauer. I wish I could find either an intermediate stick with SR dimensions or a SR stick that can be cut down to the length I need it and still be no higher than a 75 flex. Not sure why there isn't at least one stick out there like that.

I hate all sticks with grip. Last stick prior to these two was a Bauer X80 grip with a P14 curve. I hated the grip and then destroyed the stick by cutting it too short and making it stiff as hell.

Next stick in line - not sure about make or model, but I want to try one with a neutral to closed face. Not sure why, just want to try it because I'm a stick monger.

I think I know what could fit you most. You can order from Bauer 75 flex intermediate sticks. You could order a non grip intermediate APX 2, 75 flex with the curve of your choice.

dabeechman

Sep 12, 2006
Bauer APX. Bought a few on sale, loved them, then cleaned out Discount Hockey when they went on clearance. Awesome stick!:handclap:

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
whats everyones opinion on the pro stock sticks???
worth it? quality??

i needed an extra stick for roller/ice hockey.

I had a gift card to pure hockey, so I go in there and look for the cheapest stick.
I usually dont like to spend more than $60.

anyways, the cheapest stick in there was in the pro stock section (no warranty for these). It was$80.
Warrior 27 Kubina. Im 6 3, so right off the bat, I dont even have to buy an extension for this thing. It was already on there. Height was perfect. The most amazing thing about this stick I thought, was the blade. Its at least a couple inches longer than any blade ive matched it up against.

Used it this weekend and its definitely one of the better sticks ive used. My slapshot just takes off with this thing. and its gotta be fro the blade.

seems too good to be true. This thing was only $80.

althoma1

Nov 21, 2013
Pro stock sticks are a great value if you can find one in the flex and curve you like, however; it's hard to find the same stick twice, the flex isn't always labelled and there's no warranty.

Being someone who has never broken a stick within the warranty period I'm not concerned about that. If I find a pro stock stick in the flex and curve I like for a good price then I'd scoop it up without hesitation.

You just have to be prepared to go back to retail if you can't find the curve, flex, and price you like the next time. Several years ago I picked up a Warrior Kovalchuk Dolomite for $99 at a sports store - I loved the curve and the flex. However, when the stick broke I couldn't find another and now when I come across them they're usually priced much higher than other pro stock sticks (more than I'm willing to pay) as the Kovy pro curve has become highly sought after by some people.

I moved on to Warrior Smyth retail curves as that curve was based on one of Kovalchuks pro curves. Unfortunately that curve is now only available via Warriors customizer, but I managed to stock pile a few sticks and blades before it was discontinued at retail. I've also found a few other curves that aren't too far off (Warrior Gionta - also discontinued and now the Easton E28, Warrior W28 curves that are more readily available, but are also more open curves).

So it's true that you may have a hard time finding the same stick again with the same curve that could also be said of some niche retail curves that get discontinued. If you go with one of the more popular retail curves you won't have that problem (I don't see the Sakic/P92 type curve or Bauer Kane/P88 type curve getting discontinued anytime soon). You can usually find something that's reasonably close though unless it's a really unique pro stock curve.

Royal Canuck

Taco Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2011
Victoria, BC
So I've uncharacteristically gone through two sticks this season, a brand new Easton RS Stealth (chipped at end of blade) and a Bauer Total One NXG (Chipped at heel).

I'm not doing anything wrong, it's just my sticks are deteriorating so fast.

Anyone have suggestions for durable sticks?

Clarkington III

Rebuild? Refresh?
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
Pro stock sticks are a great value if you can find one in the flex and curve you like, however; it's hard to find the same stick twice, the flex isn't always labelled and there's no warranty.

Being someone who has never broken a stick within the warranty period I'm not concerned about that. If I find a pro stock stick in the flex and curve I like for a good price then I'd scoop it up without hesitation.

You just have to be prepared to go back to retail if you can't find the curve, flex, and price you like the next time. Several years ago I picked up a Warrior Kovalchuk Dolomite for $99 at a sports store - I loved the curve and the flex. However, when the stick broke I couldn't find another and now when I come across them they're usually priced much higher than other pro stock sticks (more than I'm willing to pay) as the Kovy pro curve has become highly sought after by some people.

I moved on to Warrior Smyth retail curves as that curve was based on one of Kovalchuks pro curves. Unfortunately that curve is now only available via Warriors customizer, but I managed to stock pile a few sticks and blades before it was discontinued at retail. I've also found a few other curves that aren't too far off (Warrior Gionta - also discontinued and now the Easton E28, Warrior W28 curves that are more readily available, but are also more open curves).

So it's true that you may have a hard time finding the same stick again with the same curve that could also be said of some niche retail curves that get discontinued. If you go with one of the more popular retail curves you won't have that problem (I don't see the Sakic/P92 type curve or Bauer Kane/P88 type curve getting discontinued anytime soon). You can usually find something that's reasonably close though unless it's a really unique pro stock curve.

Bolded. They are good if you like really basic specs (ie. 85, 95, 100 flex and sakic/drury variations) or really obscure specs that are readily available. Otherwise, you have to be prepared to hunt and pull the trigger when you find something you love.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad