Equipment: Sticks: What do you use, what do you love/hate, and what's next?

NYRCNS39

Apr 12, 2007
I've been using one of those new colt "unbreakable" sticks which have been a surprise in a good way... I'm used to playing with RSII's and while they are slightly heavier (I expected a big difference due to the metal) but once I started playing I didn't even notice. They balance out around the same amount and I'm not afraid to get chippy with it like I was with a RSII. Digging into corners, having the blade stepped on and chopped at hasn't left so much as a dent. So far I'm really liking these sticks, especially if they last more than one season, I was getting tired of buying new sticks every season.

NYRSinceBirth

Feb 24, 2007
I'm rather upset the E7 is gone. I'll just have to stock pile as much as I can afford.

I'm thinking P14 or just going MyBauer P12 to replace it.

PM9 I love except for the forehand shot, P92 I like the forehand shot but nothing else. P88 I dislike all around. Anyone with P14 v P12 experience want to chime in?

MattGTI

Dec 4, 2010
Milford
Picked up a Sherwood Nexon N12, Stastny Curve, 100 flex(might be 95, I forget), on clearance at my LHS.

After two games, I like this stick a lot. Its the first stick I have used in awhile that I felt compelled to share.

First thing I noticed is its extremely light, and feels very blanced. I was concerned as it definitely feels like a thinner shaft, so I am curious about durability. It could surprise me though.

I would like to pick up a couple more, and possibly try the N10(I know its a lower price point, but I want to see how it compares to this one, and other sticks out there).

All in all- very impressed. Moreso, because it was so cheap(all thing being relative).

Caps2Fan

Jan 6, 2014
Just used my new Easton Mako M5 II for the first time. 75 flex, Iginila Curve. This is the first stick I've used that felt right flex wise. I've been through a Bauer APX2 77 flex that I cut down an inch that ended up being too stiff (still usable, but just a hair too stiff for me) and an Easton Mako II Intermediate 65 flex that felt like a twig in my hands. It was too thin, too whippy, and too light.

The M5 feels much better weight wise to me, a touch heavier than the Mako II which I like. The flex just feels right as well. I can't describe it any better than that. Took a few shots to get used to the Iginla curve coming from the Bauer P92 and Easton E28 but I think I'm going to like it.

Decided to make the purchase because hockey giant was taking an additional 20% off Easton sticks that day, so I figured why not. Glad I went for it.

soireeculturelle

Jan 7, 2014
Picked up a Sherwood Nexon N12, Stastny Curve, 100 flex(might be 95, I forget), on clearance at my LHS.

After two games, I like this stick a lot. Its the first stick I have used in awhile that I felt compelled to share.

First thing I noticed is its extremely light, and feels very blanced. I was concerned as it definitely feels like a thinner shaft, so I am curious about durability. It could surprise me though.

I would like to pick up a couple more, and possibly try the N10(I know its a lower price point, but I want to see how it compares to this one, and other sticks out there).

All in all- very impressed. Moreso, because it was so cheap(all thing being relative).

picked up 2 N12s (statsny, 75 flex) about a month ago and have been happy with them. probably the most responsive stick Ive played with in terms of stickhandling. doesnt quite load up as sweetly as a stick like the base savoy (which feels a bit whippier), but nothing to complain. have used it 4-5 times a week in league games and in outdoor shinny games and no durability problems so far.

also I've had 3 N8s over the past couple of years. the blade cracked on the first one, but the other two have held up fine and are good value for money at that pricepoint.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
It has potential to carve itself a nice niche perhaps, make some sales perhaps, but many of those sales would be driven by misconceptions that they are 'unbreakable'. They did a great job with their kickstarter campaign and video that showed how the lower third of the shaft and blade are near-impervious to slash damage, but there area multitude of ways stick deteriorate and break. If I remember correctly, COLT never specifically said that their sticks are invincible, but they were clever about it and many people (including those who disseminate news for the public, big surprise) projected that to think that they were.

The stick is noticeable for sure, I've held it and had a nice conversation with one of their reps. Never shot with it. I think that the stick feels rather heavy and unbalanced for a high end product. Their value proposition for a $270 stick is not necessarily 'more performance' but rather 'more durability with a small decrease in performance'.

Overall, I like what they are trying to do and hopefully, they could drive competition in this stagnating industry, but I don't think that they could gain traction in retail unless they have a huge upswing in sales and can manufacture them to a certain level, neither of which they've seemed to have done. I just cringe when people parrot this 'unbreakable' nonsense.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
It has potential to carve itself a nice niche perhaps, make some sales perhaps, but many of those sales would be driven by misconceptions that they are 'unbreakable'. They did a great job with their kickstarter campaign and video that showed how the lower third of the shaft and blade are near-impervious to slash damage, but there area multitude of ways stick deteriorate and break. If I remember correctly, COLT never specifically said that their sticks are invincible, but they were clever about it and many people (including those who disseminate news for the public, big surprise) projected that to think that they were.

The stick is noticeable for sure, I've held it and had a nice conversation with one of their reps. Never shot with it. I think that the stick feels rather heavy and unbalanced for a high end product. Their value proposition for a $270 stick is not necessarily 'more performance' but rather 'more durability with a small decrease in performance'.

Overall, I like what they are trying to do and hopefully, they could drive competition in this stagnating industry, but I don't think that they could gain traction in retail unless they have a huge upswing in sales and can manufacture them to a certain level, neither of which they've seemed to have done. I just cringe when people parrot this 'unbreakable' nonsense.

Very interesting point that you brought up. Have composite sticks reached their full potential ? Bauer released yesterday the new Nexus 8000, and it's the same stick that they released 2 years ago but with a different paint job. They will always claim that they modified the foam core inside the blade or that the new sticks have a resin system which enhances the stick's durability, but you just can't feel the difference, year after year.

Last edited:

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Very interesting point that you brought up. Have composite sticks reached their full potential ? Bauer released yesterday the new Nexus 8000, and it's the same stick that they released 2 years ago but with a different paint job. They will always claim that they modified the foam core inside the blade or that the new sticks have a resin system which enhances the stick's durability, but you just can't feel the difference, year after year.

No they haven't reached their full potential, at least not technologically. There are plenty of new technologies in terms of carbon fibre, resins and other materials.

The market has plateaued, participation is, for the most part, stagnating or declining. Bauer's Grow the Game initiative is commendable, but there needs to more done by everyone to get more kids into hockey. Starting from the NHL all the way down. Unless the market grows, everyone is now fighting for the same space. It's not like lacrosse.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
No they haven't reached their full potential, at least not technologically. There are plenty of new technologies in terms of carbon fibre, resins and other materials.

The market has plateaued, participation is, for the most part, stagnating or declining. Bauer's Grow the Game initiative is commendable, but there needs to more done by everyone to get more kids into hockey. Starting from the NHL all the way down. Unless the market grows, everyone is now fighting for the same space. It's not like lacrosse.

It's not about hockey's popularity. Sure, there are new technologies, but it doesn't translate in better performance of sticks.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
It's not about hockey's popularity. Sure, there are new technologies, but it doesn't translate in better performance of sticks.

I meant new technologies in the world at large, not necessarily new tech being implemented in hockey sticks.

Where do you think the demand comes from?

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
It's pretty cool if you follow some of these science and tech stories. The continued advancement of nano-tech, self-repairing resins and compounds (now THAT would be an unbreakeable stick), organic fiber substitutes. However, if there's no one left to buy them, we won't get the chance to even see them!

CarpeNoctem

Chilling w The Chief
Oct 29, 2013
In The Night
A shaft or blade that doesn't whip out and get soft after a month of use would be cool

I think this is a good point. Very hard to make a top-end stick last a really long period of time because... if you are gentle, avoid a lot of stick battles etc but shoot a lot, it may not break but it might be as good as dead after a couple months of use.

Trl3789

Jun 17, 2011
Bay Area
Jarick, did you end up going gloss on the shaft finish of the base stick you ordered? I got the matte finish (stick got here yesterday) and it's really interesting to me.

SpringfieldSkins

Jan 28, 2010
Springfield, VA
Bought a CCM RBZ 80 tonight. 60 flex, Landeskog. Went from a CCM U+ Lecavalier 80 flex cut about 3".

I like it through one game. Toe drags seem much easier. Tons of flex when shooting. Scored a goal with it.

Ok, I've had the stick for a little over 2 months. Played probably 10-15 games with it.

Pros - great flex, all shots seem harder. Definitely better for stick handling.

Cons - not a fan of the tackiness of the stick. I like to slide my bottom hand and sometimes the stick is just TOO grippy. Sometimes passes will hit the blade and bounce up (likely do with my ability). Receiving a pass can be more difficult with this stick.

All around I like it better than my old CCM U+. I see a lot of guys with this stick here in VA. Perhaps the popularity speaks well about it.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
It's pretty cool if you follow some of these science and tech stories. The continued advancement of nano-tech, self-repairing resins and compounds (now THAT would be an unbreakeable stick), organic fiber substitutes. However, if there's no one left to buy them, we won't get the chance to even see them!

Self-repairing material can still be broke through a single hard blow. It should be impervious to wear and tear breakage though, theoretically.

Now graphene sticks would be unbreakable.

Coming to your local hockey shop in 2050 probably.

Trl3789

Jun 17, 2011
Bay Area
Yep, gloss grip.

What was the blade finish like?

Hard to explain, my first instinct was to compare it to ground down sand paper but that's not really right. Have you ever felt one of those fiber shafts? It's that sort of texture, but vinyly. Like
the bumpy edge of a cd case that when you scratch it makes that zippp noise, just less defined bumps.

I know that probably made no sense, ill take some pictures/ maybe a video tomorrow and post it. Maybe that will be more helpful.

Clarkington III

Rebuild? Refresh?
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
I just picked up a pro stock ApxSE. Depending on who you talk to, it's either an Apx2 with reinforced walls or basically a XXXX. It looks like an Apx2 in both paint and construction. Little heavier which supports the reinforced walls and Is a low kick point. My version happens to have tactile corners which I love and is ~1" longer than retail putting it at around 83-84 flex.

I dropped down from a 95 flex G3 profile extended to about 91 flex.Puck feel was ever so slightly better with the one95 blade on the G3, but I thoroughly enjoy the lower flex.

I could feel the stick bow much better even on one touch passes and still felt confident 1t'ing passes and clappers. I still need to calibrate the clapper on the rush, but both snappers I took tonight went in including a snipe from the top of the circles.

Whatever the stick is, I really enjoyed switching back to a low kick point at a lower flex. Something about feeling a solid bow in a stick feels so right.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad