Equipment: Sticks: What do you use, what do you love/hate, and what's next?

Jarick

Doing Nothing
I've been using a stick cut to below my bottom lip in bare feet most of the time. I swapped in a plug that put the stick a little above my nose and it was a complete disaster. Felt like I was using the wrong handed stick. No ability to handle the puck. Swapped for another plug that put my stick between my nose and mouth and much better.

Crazy how just a couple inches makes a big difference.

Curious to see how it works on the ice. I am hoping the extra reach gives me a bit more on my shots and helps me get shots off quicker rather than trying to pull the puck in close to the body as much.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I dropped from a 100 to 85 flex last year when I swapped positions and I loved it, but I'm usually totally a stickler when it comes to my gear--hate change :laugh:

that being said, my budgetary constraints are forcing a change. I've been using the Easton Sakic/Hall curve for ages (probably shouldn't have as a defenseman--look out in front!), but the only one available in the particular model I'm after is the Cammalleri curve. It's obv. more of a midpoint curve, but has anyone here used it or swapped like I have?

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
I dropped from a 100 to 85 flex last year when I swapped positions and I loved it, but I'm usually totally a stickler when it comes to my gear--hate change :laugh:

that being said, my budgetary constraints are forcing a change. I've been using the Easton Sakic/Hall curve for ages (probably shouldn't have as a defenseman--look out in front!), but the only one available in the particular model I'm after is the Cammalleri curve. It's obv. more of a midpoint curve, but has anyone here used it or swapped like I have?

I switched from a Hall to the Cammalleri curve for a game and I hated it. But if you're a defenseman I suppose the curve might be a bit better. Expect your wrist shots to suck but at least your clappers will be low.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
For the P08 users, do you find throwing backhand sauce a bit more difficult than with other curves ? I have no problem to send forehand saucers, but the backhand flutters a lot and almost never lands flat.

KuralySnipes

Jan 7, 2011
Arlington, VA
I've been using a stick cut to below my bottom lip in bare feet most of the time. I swapped in a plug that put the stick a little above my nose and it was a complete disaster. Felt like I was using the wrong handed stick. No ability to handle the puck. Swapped for another plug that put my stick between my nose and mouth and much better.

Crazy how just a couple inches makes a big difference.

Curious to see how it works on the ice. I am hoping the extra reach gives me a bit more on my shots and helps me get shots off quicker rather than trying to pull the puck in close to the body as much.

How can you use such a short stick haha.

My stick goes up to my nose on bare feet, and my adam's apple on skates and bugs me, I am getting a longer extension soon. I was a forward and it was still bugging me, now I am a defenseman so I deffinetly need a longer stick. I can always cut the plug if its too long as well.

Last edited:

ConoR187

Aug 29, 2008
Columbus, Ohio
can someone give me insight on the p14 toews curve? ive used the pm9, p92, and p88... so any insight on the curve based on the 3 ive used would be helpful.. ive heard its between a p88 and p92 with less rocker/lower lie

i like the pm9 for the lower lie, p88 for shot accuracy, and p92 for dangles/toe drags... so would p14 be a good middle ground?

Last edited:

Jarick

Doing Nothing
How can you use such a short stick haha.

My stick goes up to my nose on bare feet, and my adam's apple on skates and bugs me, I am getting a longer extension soon. I was a forward and it was still bugging me, now I am a defenseman so I deffinetly need a longer stick. I can always cut the plug if its too long as well.

I dunno, it's just easier to stickhandle. I use a little higher lie though, so that makes a difference.

When I first started, I barely cut my stick down and it was up to my eyes in bare feet. Then I cut it down to my nose. Then I read about the Howie Meeker stuff and kept cutting the stick down. I would usually cut it down a couple inches, but then put a plug to split the difference. I tried to go as short as to my chin in bare feet, which is kind of an old school stick length, but it was just too short, so for the last 2-3 years it's been at my bottom lip.

It's probably psychological, but my shots don't seem as good lately, so I'm trying to mix it up a bit and that's why I experimented with a bit longer stick.

can someone give me insight on the p14 toews curve? ive used the pm9, p92, and p88... so any insight on the curve based on the 3 ive used would be helpful.. ive heard its between a p88 and p92 with less rocker/lower lie

i like the pm9 for the lower lie, p88 for shot accuracy, and p92 for dangles/toe drags... so would p14 be a good middle ground?

We actually had a dedicated thread talking about this curve.

But because I've been using the P14, P92, and P88 so much the last couple years, I'll sum it up.

For a couple years, I was using the P92. I liked the loft because it seemed to give me good power and lift on my shot, as my preferred method of shooting is to cup the puck, lean on the stick, then push/pull with the arms to snap it off. I also like the lie and shape for stickhandling and protecting the puck.

The downside is that, while I can snipe in warmups, a lot of my shots on the rush go high and wide and I end up clearing the puck off the glass and out. And a lot of times when I'm trying to pass the puck in game situations, I might get under it too much. Again, not the curves fault, I'm just not that good.

So this year I tried the P88 and the P14.

The P88 is a decent curve. I wish I had it in a nicer stick as mine has a really pingy blade and that makes it much harder to catch passes or intercept pucks. But it keeps the shots and passes low and on target. The downside again is that it's harder to lift pucks quickly, especially if you're used to shooting with the open blade like a P92. And I wish the curve was a little deeper to protect the puck and for dangling.

Like you said, the P14 is kind of a compromise. It's between the P88 and P92 in terms of both curve depth and loft on the face. It also seems to be a little shorter than the P92. It has a rockered toe, which means the lie is higher near the toe, which works great for pulling the puck in close. If you did that with the P92, you'd have just the toe on the ice rather than half the blade.

In terms of playing, it's really a natural move from the P92. The P88 requires a little different shooting technique, especially for lifting the puck. And it's easier to keep passes low but you can still put a little sauce on them.

Because the blade is a bit shorter, it seems to play more like a mid-toe curve than a mid. That's actually kind of nice for shooting, but it's a little less forgiving than a big flat "dumb" curve like a PM9 or P91. It also means that your stick will feel a little shorter and that could change your "effective" lie, so play with stick height. And toe drags are a lot harder with the toe shape.

Overall, I'd recommend it. I went from the P92 to the P14, then to the P88, back to the P92, and now back with the P14 again. I've decided to stick with it as it's just a good compromise all around for what I want in a curve. Sounds like you're in a similar spot. It's also readily available on intermediate sticks, which is nice since I'm short.

I would love to see a couple little tweaks though...I'd like to see the toe a little less rockered and with a little more of a regular shape near the toe. That would make toe drags a LOT easier.

As you can see from the post I linked, Easton has a couple blades that have similar philosophy...the E28 and I think the E36? I have pictures of them somewhere, but one if more of an open toe curve and one is more of a neutral mid-toe curve.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto

The P14 has a higher lie than the PM9, but the toe is less rockered than the P92. It will offer your the accuracy on your shot that you have with the P88, but the toe is a bit square-ish and the blade is short. I personally hate that for stick handling and toe drags.
You could also take a look at the P92 Lie 5, which is just like the regular P92 but with a lower lie (5 instead of 6). That curve will offer you the low lie and the ability to dangle, but your shot accuracy might suffer.

ConoR187

Aug 29, 2008
Columbus, Ohio
The P14 has a higher lie than the PM9, but the toe is less rockered than the P92. It will offer your the accuracy on your shot that you have with the P88, but the toe is a bit square-ish and the blade is short. I personally hate that for stick handling and toe drags.
You could also take a look at the P92 Lie 5, which is just like the regular P92 but with a lower lie (5 instead of 6). That curve will offer you the low lie and the ability to dangle, but your shot accuracy might suffer.

thanks for the help boys

i would look at the p92 lie 5, but i buy replacement blades first before OPS to see if i like a curve and they don't have that..

what about landeskog bergeron and e28? are they clones or have differences?

also i should've put this in the first post but i like to load up my shot in the mid curve area, like the 5 lie on pm9 but would like it a little more open for dangling/toe drags.. not sure if p14 would be best for that? maybe something like a chara, smith pp01 or iginla?

The Dark Passenger

HFNYR Blues GM
Jan 7, 2010
Vermont -> Florida
Looking to get a new stick. Had an APX, 87 flex with a P88 curve and loved it.

I have the money for an APX2 but really don't eat to shell out $260 for a stick, as I play in men's league once a week.

That said, I still want a high end stick. You can get an Easton RS2 on hockey monkey now for $135. The only think I'm concerned with is the durability of it (from reading the reviews). Any advice? Also, which Easton curve is most similar to the P88?

Thanks in advance.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
RS2 is pretty decent for durability, better than the RS1 which had issues.

You'd be looking at the Iginla curve.

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
Looking to get a new stick. Had an APX, 87 flex with a P88 curve and loved it.

I have the money for an APX2 but really don't eat to shell out $260 for a stick, as I play in men's league once a week.

That said, I still want a high end stick. You can get an Easton RS2 on hockey monkey now for $135. The only think I'm concerned with is the durability of it (from reading the reviews). Any advice? Also, which Easton curve is most similar to the P88?

Thanks in advance.

Easton has a history of poor durability lately. The RS2 was released quickly because the RS' blade was crap. Iginla is the closest but not quite. They have a new pattern similar to the p88 if not an exact clone, E36, but it probably isn't available on the RS2 because it was released with the new velocity series.

Try the CCM RBZ. It's a little bit more expensive than the RS2 (10 dollars - assuming you're using the 20% off thing it's not a huge difference). Equivalent Kane pattern is the Hossa - but it has a square toe instead of the p88's round toe.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Easton has a history of poor durability lately. The RS2 was released quickly because the RS' blade was crap. Iginla is the closest but not quite. They have a new pattern similar to the p88 if not an exact clone, E36, but it probably isn't available on the RS2 because it was released with the new velocity series.

Try the CCM RBZ. It's a little bit more expensive than the RS2 (10 dollars - assuming you're using the 20% off thing it's not a huge difference). Equivalent Kane pattern is the Hossa - but it has a square toe instead of the p88's round toe.

No, E36 wasn't available then, hence Iggy.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Waiting for skates to get sharpened yesterday and checked out the new stock of sticks. The new Warrior DT4LT seems pretty decent. It's $99, under 500 grams, decent balance, and I could actually flex the 85 senior which means it's probably on the whippy side (the only other 85 flex senior stick I've been able to flex is the One 95). Also, they have a new Yakupov curve, or new to me at least, which is an open toe similar to a Kovy pro.

I might have to squirrel away some funds and check out the 75 flex version.

warrior-hockey-blade-chart-2013-2.jpg

Jisatsu

May 17, 2013
Been going back and forth between the V9E and the MakoII. I prefer the mako, but the V9E is a pretty decent stick as well. I do like the RSII more than the V9E in terms of puck feel. All these sticks are 85 flex cut down quite a bit (I'm 5'9" and prefer my sticks to be at just above my collar bone when on skates), so they are about 95-100 flex. Still feels whippy to me compared to the 100 flexes I used years ago. I'm also pretty partial to the E3 curve, but have been playing around with an E28 blade and enjoy that as well.

danglesnipecelle

Jan 11, 2014
Vancouver
im not an expert on this stuff but I always thought that the vapors have a low kickpoint and the intelli sense technology which basically can turn it into a mid kick dependant on where hold ur hands but that is only avaible in the higher end sticks

MattGTI

Dec 4, 2010
Milford
This thread, as well as the stick buying advice thread has been very helpful for an old guy like me.
All the sticks, curves, blades, flexes currently on the market can be an extremely daunting task to research.

So I've tried a few sticks, with various differences.
I've found I really, really like a square toe on my stick(Getzlaf/Easton).
Is it just not as popular as the more rounded toe blades?
Just curious because I felt I've played my best games with that blade type(recently purchased two Easton Mako M 5's, the other being the Iginla curve)

Any disadvantages to this blade style? I suppose if it works for me and I like it, that's all that matters.
I just wish I could try more sticks with a square toe setup.

Ducks Nation*

Mar 19, 2013
I use a CCM RBZ and a Bauer APX...Just got the Sherwood EK15 first time using a Sherwood stick....omg it is so amazing. Easily the best stick I have ever used, this thing is 370grams! It feels like nothing and it is so balanced its incredible. The blade is so stiff and the puck control is amazing....seriously I can't say it enough give it a try.

Shaun Bisson

Dec 3, 2012
Sarnia
Little bit OT, but I seem to remember a while back seeing a picture of a CCM rbz blade that had been cut in half. I can't remember if it was on here or not. I'm on my phone at the rink and we were talking about the speed channels (I just picked up a Stage 2 Tavares curve to compliment my RBZ Nuge curve) and was trying to explain it to people. I easily found the diagram on the CCM website but was wondering if anyone on here knew the picture I was talking about.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
This thread, as well as the stick buying advice thread has been very helpful for an old guy like me.
All the sticks, curves, blades, flexes currently on the market can be an extremely daunting task to research.

So I've tried a few sticks, with various differences.
I've found I really, really like a square toe on my stick(Getzlaf/Easton).
Is it just not as popular as the more rounded toe blades?
Just curious because I felt I've played my best games with that blade type(recently purchased two Easton Mako M 5's, the other being the Iginla curve)

Any disadvantages to this blade style? I suppose if it works for me and I like it, that's all that matters.
I just wish I could try more sticks with a square toe setup.
The main reason I don't use square toe blades is that it makes it difficult to pull toe drags. I've used the P14 (Toews) and P88 (Kane) curves that aren't perfectly round, they're a happy medium in terms of toe shape.

MattGTI

Dec 4, 2010
Milford
I will defintely look into them.
I pride myself on my defensive game. I'm not much of a finesse player, or goal scorer. I'm in the top 5 of my league in scoring basically solely on assists. However, I'm still learning the game, and want to give plenty of sticks a try.

I just feel really confident using that big square toe on a stick!

Ducks Nation*

Mar 19, 2013
I will defintely look into them.
I pride myself on my defensive game. I'm not much of a finesse player, or goal scorer. I'm in the top 5 of my league in scoring basically solely on assists. However, I'm still learning the game, and want to give plenty of sticks a try.

I just feel really confident using that big square toe on a stick!

If you are a defensivemen you should be using a square toe curve, it makes board play much easier.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
im not an expert on this stuff but I always thought that the vapors have a low kickpoint and the intelli sense technology which basically can turn it into a mid kick dependant on where hold ur hands but that is only avaible in the higher end sticks

On the older vapor line, the intellisense shot technology is available on the Vapor X4.0, X6.0, X7.0 and APX. The cheapest of these sticks is the X4.0, which sells for $70 on hockey monkey.

On the newer vapor line, you can find this on the X80, X90, X100 and APX 2. It starts at $100.

If you're looking for a vapor stick solely for this technology, go with the X4.0, it's heavy, but the thing kicks as well as higher end sticks.

Ducks Nation*

Mar 19, 2013
Everyone seriously needs to get/try a Sherwood EK15....I have tried every high end stick and this thing is a pure beaut. It feels like half the weight of any other stick and is so balanced...the blade is so stiff too...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad