Equipment: Sticks: What do you use, what do you love/hate, and what's next?

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Thought it might be fun to have a thread dedicated to my favorite piece of gear, the stick.

We don't really have an equipment review section and there are bits and pieces all over the forum, but we could use this thread to talk about sticks we're using, new sticks coming out, and sticks you've loved or hated.

I'll start...

Bauer Nexus 600, 60 flex P92

Just picked it up yesterday. It's got a little heft to it, which is different for me. Pretty whippy up top, which is something I've wanted to try for a while. I don't think I like sticks that are stiff up top. This one is as soft as the flex rating (60) due to that top hand kick.

When you lean in to a shot, it comes off pretty hot. I bet the 1000 with the lighter weight would come off even quicker as this one has a bit of lag (probably from the weight). Slappers seemed a bit mushy but I don't use them.

So far I'm liking it.

Warrior Diablo, 70 flex Kopitar

Bought this on October 1st and it broke yesterday. Third one piece I've broken in five years and second Warrior I've broken in 30 days :shakehead

This one was pretty light and well balanced but really stiff up top and that messed up my shots. I could feel it kick pretty hard when I got a PERFECT slapper or snap shot, but for wristers it was not noticeable. Felt closer to 80+ flex to me.

The blade on this one cracked the first time I used it and the blade snapped completely on the third use. I'm not hard on sticks and it looked brand new other than the blade, which was cracking and chipping almost immediately.

It should get replaced with the warranty but I probably won't buy Warrior again.

Here's my all-time favorite stick:

Bauer Vapor X:60, 75 flex P92

Don't know what you got 'til it's gone...lightest stick I've ever used, best balanced, quickest release, and the dual kick points seemed to work great. Lasted me probably 50 skates and a full calendar year of service.

This one felt fairly true to flex as the top hand kick point was great for wristers and the bottom kick point added a little bit too. Puck feel was okay (a bit pingy), really the only complaint.

Sticks I'd like to try next:

Bauer Nexus 1000 - top hand kick with really light weight? Yes, please.

Bauer Vapor APX - supposed to be the X:60 with a better blade. Sounds awesome to me.

Base Savoy Special - I like the blade I've got, want to try a one piece next.

SouthpawTRK

Sep 18, 2009
Northern California
My current quiver:

Warrior Widow, 75 flex Zetterberg Pro

Very light in weight and I like the feel of the blade. I cut this stick a bit shorter than my other sticks (by 1 inch). I like the Zetterberg Pro curve; great all around; passing, snap shots, slap shots and backhanded shots. I got this in the clear finish with corner grip which I like.

Easton ST, 75 flex Drury

The stick weighs more than some, but to me it's fairly balanced. The flex feels a bit softer (IMO) than my Warrior. I like the Drury curve, fairly easy to raise the puck. I got the grip model, which is tacky but not too tacky.

NBH One95, 75 flex Malkin

I've had this one the longest of all three sticks; this was my first expensive stick purchases. I love everything about this stick; blade, flex, and curve.

Although I'm good on sticks; just like Jarick; hockey sticks (as well as gloves) are my favorite. The stick that I would like to try next would be:

BASE Savoy Special 75 flex Hossa curve

TieClark

Jun 14, 2011
Sherwood Nexon 12, 85 flex Coffee

Extremely light and has a great kickpoint for wristers... my wrist shot is coming off much better than I've ever seen before and now that I'm getting used to the feel it's definitely the best stick I've ever used

STC

Oct 29, 2012
Been using the Bauer AXP with the Kane patter and a 90 flex for over a year now. Love it. Picked up the new TotalOne last week with same pattern, used it once and it felt a little stiff and heavy, gonna give it some time before making a final review of it.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
I'm currently using the Sherwood Nexon n12, and I like it a lot. As I've said before, it performs as well as the TotalOne at a significantly lower price. I use an intermediate 75 flex Stastny curve. I like it so much I bought two, and I might buy more when they go on sale. I'm coming up on three months of usage on the first one, and it has held up just fine so far. The only durability issue is that the end cap disintegrated, but that's easily replaceable.

My favorite stick of all time is definitely the One95, but they're getting pretty hard to find.

I'm not a fan of the X60. The shape of the blade drove me nuts, and as a result I flubbed a lot of plays with that stick.

I thought the TotalOne felt closer to the X60 than the One95, and that was a big disappointment. I was also disappointed that my TotalOne only lasted two months. That's why I decided to try some less expensive options, which led me to the Sherwood.

STC

Oct 29, 2012
That's strange, usually the Total One sticks are whippier than Vapors.

Only used it the one time so probably just need to get a feel for it. Not sure why I even bought it since I love the AXP so much.

Clarkington III

Rebuild? Refresh?
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
I have a mini collection of sticks, but really only use a couple. In order based on preference:

Bauer Total One LE 87 flex P88
This is my go-to stick and the one I am most comfortable with. No complaints about it except I don't have a second one.

Bauer One95 87 flex shaft (cut to ~ 92-95) + Total One blade
Used to be my go to stick until I purchased the TO and now it is the go to backup. The balance of this setup is fantastic and when my TO breaks, I'll be going back to this one if I can't afford another TO.

Bauer X60 87 flex shaft + X60 blade
I like the kick of this stick and balance. I do not like the blade feel. If I could have a TO tapered blade to put into this, it would probably be my go to backup stick.

Bauer Total One LE 87 flex P08
I like this stick a lot. I picked this up after a stint with heel curves and will probably go back to it at some point. I have been playing a lot of D for my beer league team and found it hard to keep slappers down. If I even make a more permanent shift back to forward, this stick will probably get the nod. Really fun curve to play around with.

Up next (In order of preference to try):

Reebok 11k - not sure why, but I've been wanting to try these out for a while but cannot seem to take the plunge.

Bauer Nexus 1000 - I love Bauer sticks and want to try this flex profile.

Bauer Vapor APX - Like my X60 two piece and want to try the OPS version with a better blade.

Bauer Total One NXG - Supposedly an upgrade to the TO I have and love.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
I still rock the aluminum shaft I had when I was a teenager in the '90s, and another that I picked up recently for a backup. People dig them, and I still love them.

I've been looking at the Bauer Nexus line though, I'm considering picking up one of them soon enough and hoping I have better luck than w/the Easton I broke in half the week after the warranty expired.

Individual 1

Jan 25, 2012
I have a Black Easton ST 85 flex with a Zetterburg curve its a little to stiff for me I guess I figured I would grow a bit more and had to cut some of it.

I used to have a blue intermediate ST it was an amazing stick any stick that lasts 2.5 years of games practices and some summer hockey is.

Aucoin11*

sticks used:
Sherwood 530, lasted a month, weighed 100 pounds. I got what I paid for.
Sherwood 5030, lasted forever and light. great stick
Sherwood 9950 SOP, basically an improved sherwood 5030. Unfortunately, the paddle length was huge and the curve sucked so I can't use it.
Reebok X-pulse X10, worst paint job ever. It's basically chipped off at this point after just over a month of use. It's also pretty heavy. However, the kolzig curve is just awesome.
Reebok 7k ps3 composite, only composite stick I ever used. The lightness was awesome, but the paddle length didn't work for me. It also broke down after a month and started rattling and lost all puck playing capability to speak of. The luongo curve is also absolutely terrible. It also broke while I was flexing it.
CCM Heaton 10 pro return legace, just an awesome stick. Super light, a tank, perfect paddle length, sweet curve. Unfortunately mine is basically dead and is being held together by tape and they don't make them anymore.

I also tried out swagger and a bauer 7500, but they were used and basically dead and unusable.

I've yet to really find a stick I really love yet. I'll probably go back to sherwoods for my next stick once this xpulse undoubtedly explodes on me.

Trl3789

Jun 17, 2011
Bay Area
Bauer X60 87 flex shaft + X60 blade
I like the kick of this stick and balance. I do not like the blade feel. If I could have a TO tapered blade to put into this, it would probably be my go to backup stick.

This is exactly what i have as my back up, and I just haven't felt comfortable with it for some reason. Granted i'm new to this whole thing, but the One100 i recently got on sale has been great to me. The only other stick i have is a One30 (first stick i got). I really want to branch out a bit and try out another brand, but haven't found one at a price point i'm willing to commit to and take a chance on.

TLow97

Aug 15, 2012
Twin Cities MN
Having some familiarity with the sport (and being away for 10+ years) I had a certain stick that is not made anymore. I don't remember the exact name of it, but it was a Titan stick with McLean's name on it. Used to rip wristers with it. The most similar stick I found to that is Easton's Getzlaff curve (squared toe; I have the S13 variety). I hear it's not good for stickhandling but no one is going to mistake me for a dangler. I'll have to experiment with sticks with similar blades but as long as I have a similar blade I don't really mind the stick itself.

wahsnairb

Jun 9, 2010
posting to mark thread and will return with reviews

sticks I own in order of preference:

Bauer APX P14 87 no grip
Bauer X60 LE P14 87 no grip
Easton Stealh RS P3 85 no grip

want to try next:

Miken ZL with a little lower flex (since I cut an inch or so off) to be in that low 80 range

izzy3

Dec 3, 2009
I currently use an Easton RS w grip, Hall curve, 65 flex (1" cut off).

This is the overall best stick I've ever used. My old Dolo Spyne had a better feel, but had a weak blade (cracked after ~4 months), my CCM CL have better pop on the shots, but has a VERY pingy blade which I do not really like.

I still have a Dolo Dragon (never used), and two Easton STs to go. I already tried the STs and they're suprisingly close to the RS' feel, when a bit on the heavy side.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
I really regret selling my Dolo Dragon. I thought it was too whippy at the time but the feel was great. I think I cut my sticks down 1-2" after that and it would have been much better. I got a 75 flex Dolo Spine after that and hated it, way too stiff, sold it to a teammate for $25 and took a $100 bath on it. Ugh. I try not to buy/sell things anymore.

bigbadbruins1

Dec 12, 2008
I run with Warrior Widow 85 flex, as well as a warrior AK 85 flex. Love them both but when one breaks I'm going to test out the Easton Mako or RSII, as I have tested every stick brand so far and only have taking a liking to Warrior.

lokomotiv15

Jul 14, 2012
London, ontario
I work at a sports store and used to get sticks from my junior team so I have a pretty filthy collection. Ill go favourite to least.

3 Bauer one95 p106 (richards) 87 flex. My favourite stick all time. First got some from my team in 08-09 and have been my go to stick since. Just ordered one in from another store that ill only be paying $80 for. Great blade, excellent puck feel, love the mid kick on it; great for snappers and one timers and super durable.

Warrior kronik, Draper pattern grip 85 flex. Picked one up as we have them marked down to 99 bucks. Nice feel. Lightweight with good pop on the stick, feels sturdy, comp to the one95.

Bauer vapor x:60, p88 87 flex. Also picked up on a sale price, might try it after my next one95 snaps. Used it in praccy a few times. Not too sure about the blade pattern and because of how balanced the stick is, i feel it is almost too blade-light. The release is quick and the stick is responsive, just might take some getting used to.

2 Easton Makos custom pattern, 85-87 flex. Got these from my junior team and cant say i love them. The blade softened up on my first one pretty quick, the paint all chipped off and it felt extremely whippy compared to the one95, which was to be expected. Good quick wrist and snap shot on it, when i got a hold of it. Some shots came off heavy, some not so much. Felt very inconsistent. Now my 4th back up sticks.

Easton s-19 sakic curve grip 85 flex. I really dont like easton... I got this from an easton rep about a year ago. The performance was great, the stick was light but it was a toothpick. Lasted me about 2 months of summer hockey + some hockey school coaching, now the blades blowing up and the elip profile feels like its gonna go, so its at home, too. If given the chance id drop the 70 bucks on a sale
s14 and take on the added weight + durability over the s19.

Recently got to demo the ccm rbz, and it was a beaut. Light, unreal pop on your shots, passes were hard and accurate, blade felt a little diff, but good. Only negative was the reps didnt let us keep the twig :p

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY
I've been using my AK-27, eighty something flex that I bought about 3 or 4 years ago for a while now. I've had sticks in between and they kept breaking. This one has been a beast. I'll be very upset the day it breaks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad