Stevens and Nachbaur Fired

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Not a fan of Willie, but best of luck to him. Kopi, Brown, Quick and DD must not have mirrors in their houses, 3 coaches fired in 7 yrs under their watch. Stevens had his faults, but the players were /are more responsible. At what point does management see their might be bigger cracks in their core than they realized.

If those 4 are the core, there's nothing management can do at this point. The past is the past, can't change anything. As of now, which is all that matters, they are stuck with the core, for better or worse.

WHY??? who gives a crap Sol. This team needs to tank but not before some guys like Carter, Toffoli, Pearson, Muzzin, Martinez and Lewis start playing better so we can trade them for assets. We need to "TANK" and go all in for Hughes, then use the saved monies on Panarin or whoever else you want because we'll have tons of cap space.. The FO hiring Willie D with his rep and awful results tells me they're trying to tank but fired CJS to save face and say they tried..

This freed up cap space you're talking about, I think might be too optimistic.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
They are generational players, one. Two we don’t have a generational player, Doughty isn’t one and neither is Kopitar.

Did Ovie and Crosby ever go through the same cycle as the Kings have in the last 4 years? No.

You don’t recall the repeated playoff failures and underachieving seasons from those teams? There’s a reason they cycled through many coaches. Of course, none was as embarrassing as the Kings missing the playoffs altogether in 2015 and 2017, but they went through some playoff years that were embarrassments much like 2016 and 2018.

Look at other teams who haven’t won shit like the Flyers and the cycle of coaches and GMs they’ve been through. They got rid of Richards and Carter, and what have they done since then?

The Bruins went through it and did some tinkering by getting rid of Lucic and other former stars like Seguin. The Lucic deal improved them, but the Seguin trade certainly didn’t.

If you have better ideas, let’s see them.

Pandaman11

Dec 3, 2009
Nooooo, why?!?

I wanted Hughes, not some stupid 1st round exit and 17th overall pick.

This team is nowhere near being a serious Cup contender, what's the point of continuing with the same old since 2015?

However, the wild card here is imo Marco Sturm. He nearly won Olympic gold with Germany, so who knows...

Reactions: KINGS17

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017
It's really odd to see the pro-tanking segment of the fanbase complain about Desjardins being a shit coach. If they think he is such a bad coach and don't want the Kings to win, wouldn't they be happy?

Reactions: Zippgunn

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
I am pleased about this...was tired of Stevens, his 'not knowing what to do' and how he handled Ladue and Amadio...among many other things.

I like that it's not just Desjardins, but Sturm that will handle the offense. Should get a new system and fresh perspective

BehindEnemyLines

I miss 2012 & 2014
Nov 26, 2007
ID
I'm glad Stevens got his chance. He waited patiently as an assistant and was rewarded. Unfortunately things did not go they way he/we would have hoped and it was time for a change.
Im hoping for the best but I have my doubts for this season, regardless of who's behind the bench.

Reactions: crassbonanza

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
If the plan is to tank i think they have a superb commander. Nice guy, a capable support coach. Not going to lead an NHL team to anything other than a high pick.

If they can land Peter Horachek as an assistant they will be guaranteed Hughes.

Last edited:

Nodoughtyboutit

May 14, 2010
I still dont see us as a last place team. I have a feeling were gonna end up with the 7-10 pick sadly. I don't think management will allow us to tank

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
yes. plus desjardins serves as a buffer zone in case the results will not get better very soon, so no instant direct pressure on sturm. basically desjardins is just a tampon.

Exactly, he's temporary. You can't have him here too long otherwise the team will get Toxic Shock Syndrome and in some cases that has lead to the amputation of the legs.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Nooooo, why?!?

This team is nowhere near being a serious Cup contender, what's the point of continuing with the same old since 2015?

However, the wild card here is imo Marco Sturm. He nearly won Olympic gold with Germany, so who knows...

They'll probably have to get around 90 points in the 69 games left to make the playoffs. That's probably a top 5 type pace over 82 games, and that's just to make the last playoff spot. If they average 1 point per game the rest of the way, that's 78 points, which would've been good enough for a top 10 pick last year. They have to put a number of wins together before you have to start worrying about a stupid 1st round exit.

There's nothing anyone can do about the contracts that have been signed to date, so they're probably still going to try to win. It sucks for fans, but players don't care about draft picks. This season the players haven't seemed to care about winning the current game for the most part either though.

It's rare when teams voluntarily pack it in and get rid of everyone, simply because they're not a serious contender. Not that it doesn't happen, but most of the time, teams aren't all or nothing like that. If you don't want to watch a stupid 1st round and out team, that's perfectly legitimate as a fan and/or customer. In general though, most teams in all sports are, we'll try the best we can, to do as well as possible, even if that means missing out on the next big prospect. It's not just a sport, it's also a business. Most franchises want to sucker people into buying tickets. Every movie made isn't Oscar worthy either. Every TV show isn't a top 5 all time show. It's a mass production entertainment industry.

Jun 30, 2006
You don’t recall the repeated playoff failures and underachieving seasons from those teams? There’s a reason they cycled through many coaches. Of course, none was as embarrassing as the Kings missing the playoffs altogether in 2015 and 2017, but they went through some playoff years that were embarrassments much like 2016 and 2018.

We just canned Sutter, and put in the players preference of Stevens. We’ll be going through 4 coaches in 3 years. Yes, Pittsburgh and Washington cycled through coaches, different circumstances than the kings but one other thing they did was retool the lineups and brought in different players.

Kings have an aging core and bad contracts that haven’t been moved. The Kings need to go back to what got them two Stanley cups.

My idea would be to replace Luc/Blake with someone actually experienced in hockey operations. Someone that will bring in a working hard culture, bring back the off season programs. Kings don’t have an identity anymore other than being the most overrated team in the league.

Reactions: KINGS17

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Hoven predicts last place team with high expectations will fire the coach. Bold.

Everyone gives him credit for being a broken clock. Fascinating.

He deserves credit for the timing. He said he expected Stevens to be gone prior to the Anaheim game regardless of the outcome of the game.

And he got fired the following day after the Kings played their best hockey.

He was very wrong for suggesting a trade would happen, but the timing of the fire was spot on.

WHOneedsSOX

Mar 1, 2015
Thats exactly it, Its officially Jack Hughes or bust.

Kings won't be bad enough to get Hughes.

Nooooo, why?!?

I'd be surprised if the Kings made the playoffs. Have to imagine Vegas will eventually start to play better too. San Jose is probably a lock to take one of the top 3 spots. McDavid might be able to drag Edmonton in by himself. I predict the Kings finish somewhere around the high 80's in points and get around the 8-10th pick.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nodoughtyboutit

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017
We just canned Sutter, and put in the players preference of Stevens. We’ll be going through 4 coaches in 3 years. Yes, Pittsburgh and Washington cycled through coaches, different circumstances than the kings but one other thing they did was retool the lineups and brought in different players.

Kings have an aging core and bad contracts that haven’t been moved. The Kings need to go back to what got them two Stanley cups.

My idea would be to replace Luc/Blake with someone actually experienced in hockey operations. Someone that will bring in a working hard culture, bring back the off season programs. Kings don’t have an identity anymore other than being the most overrated team in the league.

I absolutely hate that everyone keeps complaining about these bad contracts that haven't been moved yet. if they are so bad, how do you expect them to be moved? If they are bad enough that they are holding the team back, it is going to be extremely difficult to move.

Reactions: KingsFan7824

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006

Look at other teams who haven’t won **** like the Flyers and the cycle of coaches and GMs they’ve been through. They got rid of Richards and Carter, and what have they done since then?

The Bruins went through it and did some tinkering by getting rid of Lucic and other former stars like Seguin. The Lucic deal improved them, but the Seguin trade certainly didn’t.

If you have better ideas, let’s see them.
I don't recall Kopitar and Carter being anything like Crosby and Malkin.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Kings won't be bad enough to get Hughes.

I'd be surprised if the Kings made the playoffs. Have to imagine Vegas will eventually start to play better too. San Jose is probably a lock to take one of the top 3 spots. McDavid might be able to drag Edmonton in by himself. I predict the Kings finish somewhere around the high 80's in points and get around the 8-10th pick.
Yup, black hole team.

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
Kings are a lotto team this year. They’ll still get a shot at Hugehes and Kaako.

I read somewhere that this is a deep draft and maybe 13 very good prospects. If the Kings got Kupari at 20th, the Kings will certainly
get a good prospect in the first round. Visions of Hughes or Kakko just lessened a bit for me, after their play last night and new coaches
coming in.

Anything is possible - team coming together and playing well, Quick back in 2 months and seems like a Voynov + trade can land
some talent soon. AND if Vilardi steps in soon, who knows? Was best player in all of Junior last year.
At least we should start seeing better hockey and I am all for that. We do know Kovalchuk can play at a high level.

The D has sucked, but Fantenberg was good last night and has proven to be capable to me. Would rather have him in there
than Forbort or Walker. Campbell has proven to be NHL calibre. Going to be an interesting season and I am more
excited about it, than 24 hours ago.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
yes. plus desjardins serves as a buffer zone in case the results will not get better very soon, so no instant direct pressure on sturm. basically desjardins is just a tampon.
probably a good way to put it, honestly

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Kings are a lotto team this year. They’ll still get a shot at Hugehes and Kaako.

Yeah, they don't have to be the worst team in the league to have a chance at that. A lottery chance at both the 1st and 2nd overall picks. 3rd overall too. Chicago won to get Kane. Edmonton won to get McDavid. Winnipeg won to get Laine. NJ and Philly just won to get Patrick and Hischier.

Reactions: King Trouty

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad