Stevens and Nachbaur Fired

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I don't recall Kopitar and Carter being anything like Crosby and Malkin.

Crosby’s regular season numbers over the past five years have been below his career average, and Kopitar just outscored him last season and was nominated for a Hart and won the Selke. Was Fedorov the last player to win both and get nominated for both trophies?

I guess trading Kopitar for the next package of Roman Vopat, Craig Johnson and Patrice Tardif would be the better option?

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
Now I'm hoping for a week to week thing with coaches. Lose one game, you're fired.

giphy.gif
I can’t stop watching this gif.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I would have preferred they just keep Stevens and tank.

I don't have any opinion on whether or not Desjardins is a good hire. I'll wait and see. I do like the fact that he's interim.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
Why did Lowry survive?

Also, this is similar to when Lombardi canned Crawford early into his Kings coaching career and replaced him with Terry Murray.

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC
Looks like Sturm won’t be available till next week on Nov 12th because of obligations to the GER national team.

Also, our favorite, the Mayor, is reporting on Twitter that Etem was released from his AHL PTO. Blake swinging axes on Bloody Sunday

DoktorJeep

Aug 2, 2005
OC
What are the odds Blake makes JS and DN work off their contracts by appearing on segments for FSW and tutoring the prospects.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Crosby’s regular season numbers over the past five years have been below his career average, and Kopitar just outscored him last season and was nominated for a Hart and won the Selke. Was Fedorov the last player to win both and get nominated for both trophies?

I guess trading Kopitar for the next package of Roman Vopat, Craig Johnson and Patrice Tardif would be the better option?
You were talking about when the Penguins made their various coaching changes, not now. Crosby and Malkin in their primes were never going to be traded.

Trading Kopitar before the 8-year monstrosity he signed would have been the best idea. Now the best idea would be to unload as much as possible and let Kopitar and Doughty sink or swim with whatever is left.

Winger23

May 3, 2007
I'm highly curious when the players found out. I doubt it, but wouldn't be suprised if they knew prior to the last game. They looked like a completely different team. Even if they lost there was a ton of emotion

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I'm highly curious when the players found out. I doubt it, but wouldn't be suprised if they knew prior to the last game. They looked like a completely different team. Even if they lost there was a ton of emotion
If true, it's chicken **** that Blake forced Stevens and Nachbaur to be behind the bench for last night's game. Blake should have been there, not a lame duck coach.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
You were talking about when the Penguins made their various coaching changes, not now. Crosby and Malkin in their primes were never going to be traded.

Trading Kopitar before the 8-year monstrosity he signed would have been the best idea. Now the best idea would be to unload as much as possible and let Kopitar and Doughty sink or swim with whatever is left.

I find more fault in the GM who kept the cupboard barren and dealt away a number of high draft picks away for quick fixes versus the number one center who plays half a game and carries the most burden of any forward in the league.

Reactions: King'sPawn

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
Well at least with Willie D we still in the Lose for Hughes sweepstakes. One terrible coach to another. LOL.

DoktorJeep

Aug 2, 2005
OC
Pretty sure the players knew because they asked for the firings. Pure guess, but I bet it was Doughty who made the call.

Blake has done nothing but quadruple down on this player core. As a Kings fan, I hope he’s right. I don’t think he’s done making changes and that a trade is coming shortly, regardless of how the team plays next week.

Funny enough, I kind of hope they magically start to turn around their defensive woes. With games against ANA, MIN and CGY this week, they have an opportunity to make a statement.

The core issue from which all problems fester is the poor depth on defense. I’d argue that after Doughty, the Kings don’t have a top 60 NHL defensemen on the roster.

Phaneuf is a 5-6 at best, and shouldn’t play more than 60 games. Muzzin is a fine #3, but can’t be counted on for 20 minutes of TOI. Martinez, Forbort, and Fantenberg all fall in the 4-7 range and are well north of 25 yo.

It’s been 3 years since the jailbird was ejected, so a fix for a #2 defenseman is way overdue and killing this franchise on and off the ice.

Maybe I’m wearing purple tinted glasses, but I don’t think the Kings need a $5M+ guy to plug the hole. You have to think that the only chips to move are Pearson and Kempe, who combined make under $5M. With no cap room, not a lot of options out there, so it’ll be interesting to see what move Blake makes.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
Lombardi changed the face of the entire Kings organization and history in 40 plus years. We will always be grateful.

But, and if you read the general board, other teams fans even mention this...A few trades have really affected this organization. The Sekera and Lucic trades. We gave away significant assets and missed out on 2 drafts that turned out solid talent. Certain posters here keep bringing up these deals and I agree. These were terrible deals.

All we have to show in recent years is Kempe and Pearson. And both look terrible this year.

Reactions: DoktorJeep

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
After being offline all day this was the first thing I saw. Never like to see a guy fired, but it had to happen.

Who knows what Willie can do with this roster, but I hope we get the AHL version of him.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
After being offline all day this was the first thing I saw. Never like to see a guy fired, but it had to happen.

Who knows what Willie can do with this roster, but I hope we get the AHL version of him.

Unless he completely turns the team around, he's just a place holder for Blake to do a real search....but I also think this move gave Blake an out from trading a player....at least for a few weeks.

DoktorJeep

Aug 2, 2005
OC
Yea, we drank the devils koolaid when we bought Deans spiel about loyalty and tattoos on the ass. He wasn’t wrong in principle but in practice his evaluations of individuals, aka Mike Richards and Marian Gaborik, were dead wrong and crippled what could have been a generational dynasty.

The trades and cap penalties were all just fallout from those two choices.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad