Stevens and Nachbaur Fired

Jun 30, 2006
Ovechkin has been through six different head coaches (Hanlon, Boudreau, Hunter, Oates, Trotz, Reirden) and two GMs (McPhee and MacLellan).

Given how long Brown has been here and how many coaches and GMs he’s been through, he must be the absolute worst person in the organization. It’s all his fault.

You can cite Crosby and Ovechkin all day but this core hasn’t won anything in 4 years. They tuned out Sutter and wanted Stevens then when he called him out for lack of compete, they tuned him out.

At some point you got to start shipping players out.

Reactions: KINGS17

WHOneedsSOX

Mar 1, 2015
Also, **** these players. Entitled ***** playing like **** have a big ego for whatever reason. Those guys need to go. Whoever is mad at Stevens from the Kings for saying that is the one who's comfortable with sucking. I don't care whichever player that is, that's a locker room cancer right there.
Wasn't it Doughty who disagreed with the media when they told him what Stevens had said? Or am I thinking about something else.

Reactions: crassbonanza

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
what do you think, how will the players react in next few games? it think it's positive for the group to step together, new coach is not really there yet, and they just got a shock therapy. locker room should also make some decisions right now, very short-term, but highly energetic.

Considering how they've reacted to anything over the last 4+ years, who knows. If they give a basic effort like they did last night, they can be in a position to win some games.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
You can cite Crosby and Ovechkin all day but this core hasn’t won anything in 4 years. They tuned out Sutter and wanted Stevens then when he called him out for lack of compete, they tuned him out.

At some point you got to start shipping players out.

Were Crosby or Ovechkin shipped out when they were going through their cycles?

mrkolice

May 26, 2014
Ljubljana, Slovenia
Will be interesting to see what Sturm brings.

Pretty impressive and bring some Euro elements....had a decent NHL career.

Coaching career[edit]

Sturm at the 2018 Winter Olympics
Sturm was named head coach and general manager of the German national team on July 10, 2015.[24] Under his guidance, Germany won the 2015 Deutschland-Cup title.[25] Head coaching his first World Championship in 2016, Sturm led Team Germany to a quarterfinal appearance.[26] In September 2016, Germany won the qualifying tournament for participation in the 2018 Pyeongchang Games.[27] At the 2017 IIHF World Championship, Sturm led the team to another quarter final, falling short to Canada (1-2). Sturm was credited with the progress of the German team, and for the willingness of the German NHL players to represent their country internationally.[28] Under his leadership the German team reached the final at the 2018 Winter Olympics, earning the silver medal.

i know him from international events and he made a very good impression. germany is still very far from having a pool of talents like top european countries, but still managed to win olympic silver. that was a miracle. i think he fits the current la roster very fine. to describe his style i would say aggressive and opportunistic.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
i know him from international events and he made a very good impression. germany is still very far from having a pool of talents like top european countries, but still managed to win olympic silver. that was a miracle. i think he fits the current la roster very fine. to describe his style i would say aggressive and opportunistic.

Yeah well let's hope he offsets Desjardins immense short comings.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Players have gotten the following canned:

Marc Crawford
Terry Murray
Darryl Sutter
Dean Lombardi
John Stevens

Current Kings who played for each coach when they got fired:
Craword:
Brown
Kopitar
Quick

Murray:
Brown
Quick
Kopitar
Doughty
Martinez
Clifford
Lewis

Sutter:
Brown
Quick
Kopitar
Doughty
Martinez
Carter
Pearson
Doughty
Toffoli
Muzzin
Forbort
LaDue
Kempe
Brodzinski
Campbell
Budaj
Clifford

If we're saying the players who got all the coaches fired, that only includes Brown, Kopitar, and Quick. I frankly think that Doughty has been the biggest issue, to be honest. He's the one who runs his mouth the most and has said numerous times he doesn't want to rebuild and only wants to win.

On another note, it really is a marvel looking at how Desjardins split the ice time in Vancouver.

Highest ATOI for a defenseman with at least 50 games: Alexander Edler (23:59)
Lowest: Ryan Stanton (16:00)

Highest ATOI for a forward with at least 50 games: Henrik Sedin (18:37)
Lowest: Derek Dorsett: (12:03)

TOI/Shift for every player is between 39 and 47 seconds (an 8 second difference)

Under Stevens this year:
Highest ATOI for a defenseman: Drew Doughty (27:05)
Lowest: Sean Walker (10:00)

Highest ATOI for a forward: Anze Kopitar (22:58)
Lowest ATOI: Kyle Clifford/Austin Wagner (8:33)

TOI/Shift for every player is between 34 and 53 seconds (a 19 second difference)

Peter James Bond II

BRANDT CLARKE 23-24 CALDER
Mar 5, 2015

thanks!

sounds refreshing!! Surely MORE qualified than NotBaur

mrkolice

May 26, 2014
Ljubljana, Slovenia
thanks!

sounds refreshing!! Surely MORE qualified than NotBaur

consider this idea. maybe he'll be the next coach, maybe HE is the planned long-term solution, but just needs some time to adapt to a crisis situation and gather some basic experience. in this case desjardins is nothing more than his short-term mentor. i think it makes sense.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Once you lock guys in with the 3rd contract, it's exceedingly difficult to trade them in the middle of it. It's a hard cap league. If you can do it, you'll just bring back another old guy with a big contract. Had they not won in 2012, not only are Lombardi and Sutter gone, but all of these guys probably aren't here today. If it's not won in 2012, they don't even have the opportunity in 2014.

They did win though, got their thank you contracts, and now it is up to them, yet again, to elevate their play due to costing someone else their job. If they don't, or are unable to, then they'll be playing in a lot of meaningless games for years to come. There won't be that many teams that can fit Doughty's $11m into their cap, so even if he wanted out to be more competitive, it's going to be difficult. The Kings certainly won't retain until 2027 just to get rid of him. He pretty much made his bed on July 1st.

Nothing to do but see how they respond. The games are scheduled no matter what the Kings are going through, so, it's on them to find their passion again. Or not. It's just hockey. We fans are actually the weird ones for getting so tied up in this stuff.

WHOneedsSOX

Mar 1, 2015
consider this idea. maybe he'll be the next coach, maybe HE is the planned long-term solution, but just needs some time to adapt to a crisis situation and gather some basic experience. in this case desjardins is nothing more than his short-term mentor. i think it makes sense.
Sounds good to me if he's the guy. Make sure he gets some kind of experience rather than thrust him in there with no time to learn.

Reactions: Edenjung

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Not a fan of Willie, but best of luck to him. Kopi, Brown, Quick and DD must not have mirrors in their houses, 3 coaches fired in 7 yrs under their watch. Stevens had his faults, but the players were /are more responsible. At what point does management see their might be bigger cracks in their core than they realized.

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Well, it was about time. After Stevens went to the mic and just threw up his hands and said “I don’t know” it was over. It doesn’t matter if it was his fault or not, he had done all he could do. The only thing I hope for is finding a coach that is strong but also a little bit fresh. I’ll give Desjardins the benefit of the doubt, but I don’t want a coach that has been passed around by a bunch of teams and are just continuing their NHL tour. I am iffy about a former King like Marco Storm being there too, but time will tell.

Jun 30, 2006
Were Crosby or Ovechkin shipped out when they were going through their cycles?

They are generational players, one. Two we don’t have a generational player, Doughty isn’t one and neither is Kopitar.

Did Ovie and Crosby ever go through the same cycle as the Kings have in the last 4 years? No.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Yeah well let's hope he offsets Desjardins immense short comings.
WHY??? who gives a crap Sol. This team needs to tank but not before some guys like Carter, Toffoli, Pearson, Muzzin, Martinez and Lewis start playing better so we can trade them for assets. We need to "TANK" and go all in for Hughes, then use the saved monies on Panarin or whoever else you want because we'll have tons of cap space.. The FO hiring Willie D with his rep and awful results tells me they're trying to tank but fired CJS to save face and say they tried..

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
WHY??? who gives a crap Sol. This team needs to tank but not before some guys like Carter, Toffoli, Pearson, Muzzin, Martinez and Lewis start playing better so we can trade them for assets. We need to "TANK" and go all in for Hughes, then use the saved monies on Panarin or whoever else you want because we'll have tons of cap space.. The FO hiring Willie D with his rep and awful results tells me they're trying to tank but fired CJS to save face and say they tried..

Regardless, Desjardins is the Napoleon Bonaparte of the Tank Brigade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->