Confirmed with Link: Steve Yzerman stepping down as GM | Julien BriseBois promoted to GM

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Remember that thread here where a Red Wing fan came asking how worried are we about losing him IF we win the Cup and we all ridiculed him? Yeah...

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
So I slept for an extremely long time yesterday and woke up about an hour ago. Saw the news on Facebook of all places.

First of all, what the f***.

Secondly, this is the 2nd GM under Vinik now amd its not like hes new. We will be in a great position with Brisebois. Time will tell if hes got the magic in resignings and hits more than misses in trades, but im confident. You dont need the best GM in the business to win a cup. It helps, but i feel the direction Yzerman was heading is the same Brisebois will be taking. I just hope Brisebois sees a few things differently such as size and a heavier game and tries to shape that mold over the next few years.

The worst part is Detroit being in the division and him more than likely going there and turning them around. Though that's about 3-4 years out. At least Yzerman was able to resign Hedman and Kucherov to what he did. Goodbye sweet Prince.

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
I believe under Vinik the Lighting will continue to be a top notch organization. But there is not replacing SY. So it’s a loss and a big one.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I can't get past this:

2010 Yzerman:
hqdefault.jpg

2018 Yzerman:
95060f09-fdae-46a0-af75-163192e62560-steve_yzerman.JPG

Remind me to stay away from planes.

Reactions: JDBolt and FMichael

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
The big question for me is the scouting staff. Most of Yzerman's success has come from the player development side. We know we keep Breisbois who was important in AHL signings and such, but if we lose Murray to an Yzerman exodus, that will be crippling.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Last edited:

Fabiobest

Italian Florida Man
Feb 4, 2017
Turin, Italy
Yzerman did a great job with us. He's an amazing GM and everyone should give him lot of respect.
But an organization like the Tampa Bay Lightning does not run by only one man. We're an high level team right now, also thanks to Yzerman, but the former Red Wings Captain is not the only reason we're on top now.
So, I believe in Mr. Vinik and in every part of the organization: I think we'll continue to stay at these high levels also without Yzerman and I hope that BriseBois has learnt well from him.
Btw, I hope he'll continue to be our advisor for many years, but I know that he'll away soon.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
The big question for me is the scouting staff. Most of Yzerman's success has come from the player development side. We know we keep Breisbois who was important in AHL signings and such, but if we lose Murray to an Yzerman exodus, that will be crippling.

I don't think we'll see that. I think we'll see the structure stay in place. People will eventually get fired and move on. And maybe they'll move on to Yzerman if he's in Detroit, but it'll probably be our decision to let those guys go. And that's probably not on the immediate horizon, given the success we've had.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
I can't get past this:

2010 Yzerman:
hqdefault.jpg

2018 Yzerman:

before and after the two stamkos contracts with new port sports. I'm kind of shocked his wife never moved to tampa ? or his kids which are all early and late college ages now

Stammertime91

Dec 13, 2011
I can't get past this:

2010 Yzerman:
hqdefault.jpg

2018 Yzerman:

He looks like a kid in the 2010 picture that went into a store and bought the first suit he could find.

The 2018 one is like a pic of the guy in the neighborhood who drives a Lexus and just came back from a vacation in the Bahamas.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004

Yzerman is remaining in the organization as a special assistant. BriseBois said Yzerman will be on the road a lot, and part of his duties will include more frequent visits to Syracuse than his usual schedule of two or three times a season.

BriseBois said Lighting assistant general manager/director of player development* Pat Verbeek will also be a bigger part of the Crunch crew, as will director of professional scouting (and ex-Syracuse captain) Jamie Pushor. And Stacy Roest, director of player development, will remain a familiar face here as well.

*Verbeek is actually Dir. of Player Personnel

Stammertime91

Dec 13, 2011
Yes they do now that Zetterberg and his $6M salary are being LTIRetired.

You called our boards a salt factory on the Detroit section. I don't think anybody is salty in regards to the decision. We aren't changing it. We are still in good hands with Brisebois and providing he doesn't make rash decisions and mirrors the direction Tampa has been heading since Vinik took over, be it him or the next guy as our GM, we should continue trending in that direction.

I will respond to your jab at being a dick though. I hope that whopping 6M can afford to buy you a playoff spot, hopefully one that doesnt end with us kicking your teams ass in the first round. Just for your sake. For once.

Reactions: Stamper and JDBolt

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
We're going to have a fantastic season. I gotta say, the promotion of Brisebois was probably the best thing that could have happened to us because this guy knows our players, farm system drafting philosophy better than any outsider could have. History has taught us so many times in so many ways that the protege is more than capable of bettering his teacher.

Let's hope Socrates begat Plato. Yes I know it's hyperbolic, I'm trying to keep the mood positive

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad