Confirmed with Link: Steve Yzerman stepping down as GM | Julien BriseBois promoted to GM

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Well most gms leave with the team being worse than when he started. SY has the team from a nobody into a perennial contender. I just want to see us win a cup with him still here in a capacity. Before I would have said its not a must win for the cup, but I change my mind. Its cup or bust here. Need to win with SY still here. GO BOLTS!!

Yeah, I always figured he'd be fired, like all GMs (well, most). It's strange to see a GM leave with a fanbase wishing he'd stay.

Reactions: Todd1a

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
Not a question of if but when....

Who would blame him when he returns to Detroit next year ?
I won't but that rivalry is going to be crazy.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Wow, Brisebois is staying on with the Crunch too. That is a lot on one plate right now.
Gillies Bouchard recently joined as an assistant with the Crunch. He had been GM/Coach in the Q.

Groulx, him, and the rest of the coaching staff may take on some of the load. It's not like the AHL staff are making a bunch of trades during the season. They've got to deal with Orlando (and ECHL PTOs, plus late-season ATOs from college and junior players), but Orlando wants a stable group of players that I think are mostly decided at this point.

Last edited:

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
This has most likely been Steve's plan for a long time. He knew he would go back to Detroit when the time was right.

With that said, think how important last years cup run was to him and how devastated he must have been when they lost. He knew that was the culmination of everything hes done and that was it for him.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
This has most likely been Steve's plan for a long time. He knew he would go back to Detroit when the time was right.

With that said, think how important last years cup run was to him and how devastated he must have been when they lost. He knew that was the culmination of everything hes done and that was it for him.

But why not stay on for another run?

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
I trust in the Yzerplan so I trust in this part as well. He is going to be teaching BriseBois everything he can so he can replace him. I'm not going to panic unless I see the overall direction of this team change.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

I hope he wins on the final year, like Jimmy Devellano did at Detroit before stepping down (1997). Ken Holland inherited a SC winner.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004

Might be GM related, not sure.

JBB has said that he's staying GM. It could be some other title though.

Something that I don't get how it's going to work is how Orlando is going to talk to Syracuse now. The way it normally goes is that the ECHL head coach (who is also the GM) talks frequently with the GM of the AHL affiliate. JBB would seem to be too busy now, so who takes point?

I wouldn't mind Verbeek as the "little ball of hate" playstyle does well in the ECHL, but I'm not sure if he's super-involved with the Crunch as it is.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
JBB has said that he's staying GM. It could be some other title though.

Something that I don't get how it's going to work is how Orlando is going to talk to Syracuse now. The way it normally goes is that the ECHL head coach (who is also the GM) talks frequently with the GM of the AHL affiliate. JBB would seem to be too busy now, so who takes point?

I wouldn't mind Verbeek as the "little ball of hate" playstyle does well in the ECHL, but I'm not sure if he's super-involved with the Crunch as it is.
It sounds like JBB will officially stay as the Syracuse GM this season but it's going to be more of a group effort with a few people involved. So there's probably going to be someone who takes over the role of communicating with Orlando to free JBB's time up. Obviously it's not ideal but it's kind of last minute to make any major organization changes before the season starts.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
It sounds like JBB will officially stay as the Syracuse GM this season but it's going to be more of a group effort with a few people involved. So there's probably going to be someone who takes over the role of communicating with Orlando to free JBB's time up. Obviously it's not ideal but it's kind of last minute to make any major organization changes before the season starts.
That's pretty much my point. Whoever becomes the communicator inadvertently becomes very important.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
The timing was all about BreisBois. They needed to keep him and they might as well give him a year of tutelage with Yzerman still there to help.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad