Confirmed with Link: Steve Yzerman stepping down as GM | Julien BriseBois promoted to GM

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
The timing was all about BreisBois. They needed to keep him and they might as well give him a year of tutelage with Yzerman still there to help.

Probably took a while to hammer out the new contract too. Yzerman said he started thinking about it in July, and it was reported later that he'd more/less come to his decision in August. Might have taken a month to work out the details of the turnover, and make sure everything was air-tight before we made the announcement. Which separates us from Ottawa.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Our Motto this is year now, 100% is "Do it for Yzesus" or "Do it for Stevie". No need to even propose other playoff avatars if we make it to the playoffs. **** it, it should be our season avatars now.

If ever a year to go all in, hard to find one more motivating than this. If they still lose with a poor effort level they're never going to win this group.

Fabiobest

Italian Florida Man
Feb 4, 2017
Turin, Italy
Our Motto this is year now, 100% is "Do it for Yzesus" or "Do it for Stevie". No need to even propose other playoff avatars if we make it to the playoffs. **** it, it should be our season avatars now.
I don't agree with you.
We've to play well and to put the maximum effort possible on the ice, only because we've to improve the entire organization and, possibly, put something in our showcase.
Yzerman is a great GM, but he's not neither a God nor a philantropist. He did well his job but he was paid a lot to do it. He's not worked for free.
So, we've to win for us, for the entire Tampa community. Not for Yzerman that is only a "employee".

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
I guess the faint hope in all this is he likes his new role, wants to see through what he started, and rejoins in some sort of "President of Hockey Ops" role.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
I don't agree with you.
We've to play well and to put the maximum effort possible on the ice, only because we've to improve the entire organization and, possibly, put something in our showcase.
Yzerman is a great GM, but he's not neither a God nor a philantropist. He did well his job but he was paid a lot to do it. He's not worked for free.
So, we've to win for us, for the entire Tampa community. Not for Yzerman that is only a "employee".

Get out. If not for him, we still would have terrible management. The man with his genius propped us up to one the best teams in the league with his personnel staff hiring. He's brilliance on noticing talent with management has done wonders for us and set us up for success for years to come. We pay respects to the man who made the lightning relevant again, and we don't ask questions. Almost all the players on the team have a lot to owe to him, and as fans we have a lot to owe to him. You don't get to play down or disregard what he has meant to this franchise for the last 8 years. Just because you might be a new fan, you might not know how bad it was before.

Reactions: JDBolt

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Get out. If not for him, we still would have terrible management. The man with his genius propped us up to one the best teams in the league with his personnel staff hiring. He's brilliance on noticing talent with management has done wonders for us and set us up for success for years to come. We pay respects to the man who made the lightning relevant again, and we don't ask questions. Almost all the players on the team have a lot to owe to him, and as fans we have a lot to owe to him. You don't get to play down or disregard what he has meant to this franchise for the last 8 years. Just because you might be a new fan, you might not know how bad it was before.
It was terrible before yzerman arrived as A Lightning fan and I’m scared if he leaves for good. Other then like 2-3 good years in 2004 with the cup. We were a dumpster of a franchise before yzerman arrived here and he made us a contender hopefully he sticks around long term in the advisory role.

Steazy Doo

Jan 31, 2013
It was terrible before yzerman arrived as A Lightning fan and I’m scared if he leaves for good. Other then like 2-3 good years in 2004 with the cup. We were a dumpster of a franchise before yzerman arrived here and he made us a contender hopefully he sticks around long term in the advisory role.

As long as Vinik is around, it'll never be as bad as it was back then.

Fabiobest

Italian Florida Man
Feb 4, 2017
Turin, Italy
You have to get out, kid. Not me.
I'm paying much respect to the man Steve Yzerman and to what he did with us in the last 8 years. He's built an amazing team, nobody's saying a different thing.
I know that my English is not so good, but I know, also, that you're not able to read, probably.
But for me the entire organization is more important than a single man. Yzerman is brilliant, but I think that Tampa could improve again without him, also because Vinik has chosen a man who has learnt a lot from Yzerman (I hope so).
And yes: Yzerman is an employee. If for you, it's more important a single person than an entire organization, you've to go to support the next team, where Yzerman will work for.
I support the Bolts. And next summer, I'll continue to support the Bolts also without Yzerman. And if you think that it's more important a single person than the entire community and organization, it's not my problem.
If you want to continue to cry till next June, let's go, you can do it. But not with me.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

I think maybe the best thing he did was set the organization up so well that it can run without him. He built a machine of drafting and developing, turned TB into a preferred destination for NHL players, has the cap reasonably under control despite having a near-all star team on the ice, and (possibly accidentally) groomed his replacement.

Brisbois will no doubt be faced with tough decisions, but, by GM standards, he's got it pretty easy. Most GMs come in at a time when things are burning down. He's coming into a machine that's already been built for him.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
I'm just glad we didn't lose Brisebois before this.
Who would have thought Brisebois would finally get his chance right here? It's funny in a way. He's seen so many kids get the call up to the big leagues (even Coop too) and now after all this time, the phone call was for him.
I fully trust Julien Brisebois to take this team and franchise forward he has worked under Yzerman long enough and Yzerman is going to be around one more year. The plan is the same win a cup.
Agreed. He's been here since the beginning back in 2010, working with and leaning from Yzerman. And as others have said, the rest of the pieces: Murray, Verbeek, Coop and the majority off the scouting staff are all still here from 2010 and Roest from 2013. The foundation & structure for long term continued success has been set long ago. Not much needs to be done to the roster. Just keep the ship sailing straight. That said, there's nobody out like Yzerman when it comes to his judgement and the difficult and shrewd decisions he's made.

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
Still in shock. Take some time off at least if you are going to work in the Red Wings org eventually. You both deserve it and need it Stevie.

BennetAintInit

Sep 7, 2018
Fl.
Total shock, I remember some dude talking about his belief that his goal is going back to the homeland of Detroit. Yeah, his online position is essentially some weird promotion in the company.. but....... I think he is preparing his out. Maybe that dude that talked about his enduring loyalty to Detroit, maybe he has some point. give it a year. maybe 2. Gone baby, Gone

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad