Confirmed with Link: Steve Yzerman stepping down as GM | Julien BriseBois promoted to GM

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
It's hilarious how much better Brisbois is behind a microphone than Yzerman. Yzerman looks like he wants to tell reporters to go **** themselves.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Sounds like the familial part got too difficult.

But man... that side by side shot... Yzerman has aged 20-25 years in 8 years. So this is probably the correct decision for him. Sad times though. I will miss the the YzerGod jokes.

RegularSznAllStars

Sep 23, 2014
I can’t stand the thought of him going to be GM in Detroit...guess this is how wings fans have felt for the past 8 years

RegularSznAllStars

Sep 23, 2014
Yeah, but then if he'd chosen some other blank check, TB would likely have lost both Yzerman and Brisbois by the start of the 2019 season.

But he wouldn’t chose another team to get paid is my point. If it was about money, he wouldn’t be going anywhere...

Reactions: JDBolt

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
One glimmer of hope: the way Julien was talking about his short term plan sure makes it sound like hes gonna go hard for EK.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
But he wouldn’t chose another team to get paid is my point. If it was about money, he wouldn’t be going anywhere...

It's hard to say that's true with teams like the Rangers out there.

But the press conference made it pretty clear that he just couldn't keep up the pace anymore, with his family in Detroit. I'm still shocked by the difference in his appearance. Human beings aren't supposed to age THAT much in 8 years, unless they're president.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
One glimmer of hope: the way Julien was talking about his short term plan sure makes it sound like hes gonna go hard for EK.

I actually thought so too. I thought it was a stark contrast with Melnyk's "interview." Brisbois definitely hinted he's going to be working to put the "finishing touches" on the team, whether that's Karlsson or whoever. I think it's reasonable to expect us to be fairly active off the ice.

Reactions: Unfinished Business

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
I can’t stand the thought of him going to be GM in Detroit...guess this is how wings fans have felt for the past 8 years
Exactly. He should have never left Detroit in the first place. He put you guys in a great position, be thankful.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
Julien and Vinik both spoke of trade/player acquisition to improve the roster and put us over the hump.

Fingers crossed.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
I actually thought so too. I thought it was a stark contrast with Melnyk's "interview." Brisbois definitely hinted he's going to be working to put the "finishing touches" on the team, whether that's Karlsson or whoever. I think it's reasonable to expect us to be fairly active off the ice.
That scared the hell out of me

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
That scared the hell out of me

Nah, Brisbois's Yzerman's protege, and his fingerprints are already all over the team (Gourde, Marchessault, both AHL signees). I have a lot of faith in him. It's more just sad that Yzerman is leaving before getting his name on a cup as a GM, given the rebuild he oversaw here. I mean, his skill, IMO, is putting together an organization full of quality people and letting them do their jobs, and Brisbois's one of those people.

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
Well, today was like:

tenor.gif

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Well most gms leave with the team being worse than when he started. SY has the team from a nobody into a perennial contender. I just want to see us win a cup with him still here in a capacity. Before I would have said its not a must win for the cup, but I change my mind. Its cup or bust here. Need to win with SY still here. GO BOLTS!!

Reactions: DaBolts

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad