Steve Moore ups his damages claim by $30 million

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Bender*

I think if you were to poll players in the game, the majority would support Bertuzzi, not Moore. Bertuzzi was only doing what he thought he was supposed to do. The fact that Moore was injured was an accident, in reality.

crazychimp

Jun 24, 2014
Vancouver
Yes what Bert did was wrong but Moore would NEVER EVER come close to earning that type of money in his career. The most he should get is about $18 milliion as career bottom sixer would have made $9,$8 million. I hate how this guy loves to play the victim card considering the fact that he wouldn't even be in this position if he wasn't such a dirty ******* himself seriously Nazzy was never the same after that hit.:shakehead

ArtG

Feb 9, 2004
Vancouver, BC
First of all, your blanket characterization of "Canucks fans" in general is appalling. I despise people that make broad generalizations of entire fanbases like this.

Second, to have empathy for Bertuzzi is perfectly logical. He has suffered greatly from this and never intended any of it to happen. Does Moore have a case? Obviously. Should Bertuzzi have been vilified the way he was (booed in every arena, cast off as a pariah, the poster boy of a bully, etc.)? No. What he did is what has been drilled into every player since minor hockey. You protect and avenge anyone who dares mess with your star player or goalie. Dave Semenko was employed specifically to carry out this duty. To walk around with your head in the clouds and ignore this, is to not understand the culture of the game.

You want to blame the culture of the game, fine.....but Bertuzzi was only doing exactly what he was instructed to do since he first put skates on.
I really like how you started off, but you lost me at the end.

If every hockey player was trained to do what Bertuzzi did then there would be a lot more incidents similar to it. This is just not the case. It still remains among the worst things anyone has ever done on the ice. To try and characterize it as "part of the game" proves the point in the post you replied to.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
So.. why does Bertuzzi get to live like a sultan for ending Moore's career and appreciably damaging his qualify of life? This isn't an argument that holds water legally.
You should probably not make assumptions about what I think Bertuzzi deserves.

John Bender*

If every hockey player was trained to do what Bertuzzi did then there would be a lot more incidents similar to it. This is just not the case. It still remains among the worst things anyone has ever done on the ice. To try and characterize it as "part of the game" proves the point in the post you replied to.

Players in hockey never retaliate against other players for those that take runs at their star players?

John Bender*

Here is Brodeur's take on the incident. Most players are too PC to come out and say it:

"I play the game, these kinds of hits happen over and over again," Brodeur reiterated Monday. "People are lucky they don't get hurt more. I'm not taking anything away from Steve and his injury . . . but it's tough, this guy's (Bertuzzi's) life is changed, his career is changed. It'll be tough for him to ever be the same player from the day before he did that."

ArtG

Feb 9, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Here is Brodeur's take on the incident. Most players are too PC to come out and say it:

"I play the game, these kinds of hits happen over and over again," Brodeur reiterated Monday. "People are lucky they don't get hurt more. I'm not taking anything away from Steve and his injury . . . but it's tough, this guy's (Bertuzzi's) life is changed, his career is changed. It'll be tough for him to ever be the same player from the day before he did that."
How many hockey plays result in this?

Beyond his NHL and IIHF suspensions, legal action was taken against Bertuzzi in the provincial courts of British Columbia and Ontario, as well as in Colorado state court. After a four-month investigation, the criminal justice branch of the Attorney General of British Columbia announced on June 24, 2004, he was being formally charged with assault causing bodily harm. With the charge, Bertuzzi faced up to one-and-a-half years in prison. Several months later, on December 22, Bertuzzi pled guilty to the assault charge after arranging a plea bargain with prosecutors. He was given a conditional discharge requiring 80 hours of community service and one year's probation that additionally prohibited him from playing in any hockey game Moore was competing in.

John Bender*

Here is Scott Parker (Moore's teammate, FFS, on the incident):

SCOTT PARKER: So, you know, Todd just, it was one of those games. Markus Naslund, the captain of the Canucks, gets taken out. It was a little sketchy what happened, but, hey. And then Moore, he fought, I think Cooke came after him and then he fought, which wasn't really a fight. Todd wasn't really thrilled with it, they were losing, I think it was 8 to 1 in their home barn.

You don't do that in Canada. You talk about a sport that they love? You talk about Europeans and soccer? That's hockey in Canada. So it's the same way, if you don't respond up there, they will eat you alive.

And Todd, he might have gone overboard, and what's crazy is, even talking to him after the fact and talking to Moe, Morris and other boys that were in that, that happened, I watched that tape about a hundred times, and just the way Todd hit him, and he actually grabbed him to soften his blow when he went down, and what happened was when Moe landed on him, he actually hit the back of his neck and it actually popped up. You know, just the way Todd was holding him.

But you know, it wasn't vicious, it was just, it was the heat of the moment. It was one of those things where you, you want to do something, but you don't know if it's gonna be big, if it's gonna be small, or how it's gonna pan out. But you wanna do something. And Todd, he might not have been right and it might have been a little overboard, but you know, he did something. I mean, at least he responded, at least he tried.

I know he's marked now. People hate him, and it's amazing what that can do to a man, too. It can make you feel this small, you know. And he's not a bad man. He's a great guy and a good family guy, and he just got marked. It's one of those things…

It's part of the culture of hockey, like it or not. Had Moore not been injured by the hit, Bertuzzi would have been cheered for exacting revenge - that's the name of the game.

topheavyhookjaw

Sep 7, 2008

Except it's pretty clear Bertuzzi's life didn't change all that much. Remained fully employed as an NHL player, made good money, had a decent career. Got better than he ever deserved following that.

John Bender*

How many hockey plays result in this?

Lots. Players get punched in the face all the time. You can make the argument about the blindside hit was offside, but it's not the first blindside punch in hockey. You take the fact the game was 8-1 and the Canucks had not exacted the required revenge on Moore, and the fact Moore would not look at Bertuzzi.....voila.

Look........it's PC for us all to say that what Bertuzzi did was a crime and throw the book at him and boo him everytime we see him and paint him as the villain.

I am just saying that the underlying culture of the game was the reason why what happened..........happened. Does Moore have a case? Sure, he is out of hockey. Does Bertuzzi deserve to be suspended? Obviously.

Does Bertuzzi deserve to be painted as a criminal and a bully and booed everytime he touches the puck or makes any sort of appearance.........that's where I take issue.

John Bender*

Except it's pretty clear Bertuzzi's life didn't change all that much. Remained fully employed as an NHL player, made good money, had a decent career. Got better than he ever deserved following that.

You don't think this had a an affect on Bertuzzi's life? Gotta disagree there. He became an outcast.

topheavyhookjaw

Sep 7, 2008
Lots. Players get punched in the face all the time. You can make the argument about the blindside hit was offside, but it's not the first blindside punch in hockey. You take the fact the game was 8-1 and the Canucks had not exacted the required revenge on Moore, and the fact Moore would not look at Bertuzzi.....voila.

Look........it's PC for us all to say that what Bertuzzi did was a crime and throw the book at him and boo him everytime we see him and paint him as the villain.

I am just saying that the underlying culture of the game was the reason why what happened..........happened. Does Moore have a case? Sure, he is out of hockey. Does Bertuzzi deserve to be suspended? Obviously.

Does Bertuzzi deserve to be painted as a criminal and a bully and booed everytime he touches the puck or makes any sort of appearance.........that's where I take issue.

You're right insofar as hockey as long held a culture of violence and retribution. I don't like the idea of excusing someone on the basis of their being a culture though. It can be both.

John Bender*

You're right insofar as hockey as long held a culture of violence and retribution. I don't like the idea of excusing someone on the basis of their being a culture though. It can be both.

How can you agree that hockey is played in a climate of violence and retribution and then disagree that someone should not be excused for acting in a manner that is violent and retaliatory?

dave babych returns

Dec 2, 2011
How can you agree that hockey is played in a climate of violence and retribution and then disagree that someone should not be excused for acting in a manner that is violent and retaliatory?

This sentence is amazing. What if Bertuzzi two handed Moore in the face and caved it in, or fractured his skull and killed him or whatever?

"Oh but NHL culture involves violence and retaliation to some extent" :speechles

John Bender*

Congrats, that's an excellent observation.

LOL. You made a ridiculous comment. Bertuzzi did not beat Moore to a bloody pulp. That's like saying.......'well, what if Bertuzzi carried an AK47 out on the ice and murdered the entire Avalanche team? Then what would you say?'

Bertuzzi punched Moore from behind in the side of the helmet with a glove on. Hardly the same as beating him to a bloody pulp.

topheavyhookjaw

Sep 7, 2008
You don't think this had a an affect on Bertuzzi's life? Gotta disagree there. He became an outcast.

Outcast? He was regularly employed by one of the most respected organizations in the game. Being a booed by fans is hardly making you an outcast. He was re-signed by the man who was the GM at the time of the incident.

Should Matt Cooke be entitled to compensation? Have you checked in to see if Chris Simon is feeling good about himself? How's Steve Downie's self worth these days?

Todd Bertuzzi did a bad thing, his career went on just fine. Sometimes he gets booed, I think he'll be okay.

LiquidSnake

Jun 10, 2011
Vancouver, BC
As a human, I feel bad for a guy who got injured like that.

As a person, he's a piece of ****. Speaks volumes that nobody from Colorado really wanted much to do with him.

The argument that he would have been a top 6 forward is laughable but something lawyers do. Up the claim to something ridiculous and then settle for 38 or 40.

His brother is a better player and is a fringe 4th line.

topheavyhookjaw

Sep 7, 2008

I think Bertuzzi being booed, and other violent, predatory players gaining bad reputations is a sign that maybe the culture is shifting a bit, and it is undoubtedly a good thing.

But then I see Steve Downie's comments the other day and remember it's a long way off.

John Bender*

Outcast? He was regularly employed by one of the most respected organizations in the game. Being a booed by fans is hardly making you an outcast. He was re-signed by the man who was the GM at the time of the incident.

Should Matt Cooke be entitled to compensation? Have you checked in to see if Chris Simon is feeling good about himself? How's Steve Downie's self worth these days?

Todd Bertuzzi did a bad thing, his career went on just fine. Sometimes he gets booed, I think he'll be okay.

Bertuzzi was vilified for the incident. He was a public outcast. I don't think that is in dispute.

I never said he should be entitled to any compensation. Not once.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad