Steve Moore ups his damages claim by $30 million

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archangel

Oct 15, 2011
Vancouver
To the surprise of absolutely nobody, Steve Moore has almost doubled his desired amount of financial compensation in his lawsuit against former Canuck Todd Bertuzzi. The amount has now reached a staggering $68 million, which consists of pain and suffering, medical bills and loss of salary.

Moore's lawyers are arguing that he would have made this amount over a long career as an eventual top-six forward.

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/n...-million-in-todd-bertuzzi-suit-133149964.html

Moore would never have been a top 6 forward

lush

@jasonlush
Sep 9, 2008
Vancouver
What exactly prevented Moore from working in the financial services industry I wonder
I would imagine they will settle out of court, let the negotiations begin!

Last edited:

AlainVigneaultsGum

Holidays in two days
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2012
Calgary, AB
**** Steve Moore.

What Bert did was wrong, and he should definitely have a dent put in his wallet, but I'm so sick of hearing about this ***** milking it.

damack

Jan 3, 2014
Will Bertuzzi have to actually pay out of his own pocket, or do professional athletes have insurance for this sort of thing?

Goon42

Apr 12, 2013
What a cry baby loser. 68 million? Get real. I hope this BS gets settled once and for all.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Will Bertuzzi have to actually pay out of his own pocket, or do professional athletes have insurance for this sort of thing?

I am completely guessing here - I would guess that one or all of the Canucks, NHL and NHLPA all have some sort of liability insurance for this sort of thing. Whether or not Bertuzzi would be eligible to get them to foot some of that cost is a different question.

Free Edler

Enjoy retirement, boys.
Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, BC
Capgeek sez Bertuzzi has earned $47.1M throughout his career. Now divide that number by two (taxes), take out an agent's fee for negotiating the contracts (maybe another $1-2M?) and if he spends nothing on anything ever, Bertuzzi has $20M lying around. Which he doesn't because people need to eat to survive.

I wonder where this money is coming from? Any endorsements Bertuzzi had dried up once he committed this act of thuggery.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
He probably deserves at least 10-15 million. You guys are getting worked up over legal maneuvering here. Wait and see how things shake down before you embarrass yourselves by calling Moore names.

ArtG

Feb 9, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Wow Canucks fans never change. This thread is pretty appalling.

The man literally had his career ended by Bertuzzi. Legal manoeuvres aside, he deserves remuneration.

I thought after a decade the "poor Bert" or "he ruined Nazzy" responses would not be thrown out anymore. :facepalm:

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
The obvious and more relevant comparison is his brother - who is a far better hockey player.

Yup. Dominic Moore has earned $8.1 million in his career, including his new contract which runs through 2016.

For perspective on how ridiculous Moore's claim is, his teammate Alex Tanguay (who is a year younger than Moore, a ridiculously better player and an All-Star in 2004 when all this happened) has earned $37 million since the time of the incident. Moore is asking for nearly double that.

topheavyhookjaw

Sep 7, 2008
I, for one, don't see why Moore and his lawyers shouldn't make a disproportionately large claim relative to the circumstances. Their client was a victim of a disproportionately large response relative to the circumstances.

I do love the posters here who take it personally that Moore is asking for money. Bert appreciates your empathy to his situation.

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
Alan D’Silva, the lawyer for the Canucks, will be tasked with proving that Moore wouldn’t have been a success on the ice or, well, in life. According to the Star, D’Silva said an “expert†had assessed that Moore would have likely been “a hoist operator, a farm labourer or a cook in a fast-food restaurant†after his NHL career. Which is obviously the most likely career path for a Harvard graduate ...

:laugh:

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010

The man literally had his career ended by Bertuzzi. Legal manoeuvres aside, he deserves remuneration.

I thought after a decade the "poor Bert" or "he ruined Nazzy" responses would not be thrown out anymore. :facepalm:

Her certainly deserves remuneration, though how much should be the basis of the discussion.

I'm sort of aghast at the idea of anyone getting a remuneration whose sum is measured in the 10s of millions, pro athlete or not. He deserves to live comfortably, but like a sultan?

John Bender*

Moore wasn't going to be a Top 6 forward if he played in Florida. The guy was a plug.

I don't think you can characterize Moore as a plug. A plug is someone like Darren Archibald, or maybe Andrew Ebbett. Moore was an NHL regular. He was on par with his brother, Dominic, who earns a regular salary in the NHL. I don't think it would be a stretch to assume that Steve Moore could have made $1.5M to $2M per year over a 10 year career - taking a regular shift in a decent NHL lineup.

What strikes me as odd, is that the concussion ended his career and he was unable to return from it in any way shape or form. Did he have a history of concussions? It's odd that the first concussion does as much damage as it has in his case. I mean, most come back from serious concussions - it's the subsequent concussions that do most in.

I suppose though, that if Moore attempted a comeback, he might be worse off financially with regard to the potential settlement he may get out of all of this.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
Her certainly deserves remuneration, though how much should be the basis of the discussion.

I'm sort of aghast at the idea of anyone getting a remuneration whose sum is measured in the 10s of millions, pro athlete or not. He deserves to live comfortably, but like a sultan?

So.. why does Bertuzzi get to live like a sultan for ending Moore's career and appreciably damaging his qualify of life? This isn't an argument that holds water legally.

ArtG

Feb 9, 2004
Vancouver, BC

Those are just legal manoeuvres. They're setting an upper bound but the ruling will certainly correct for a legitimate amount based on some agreed upon criteria.

John Bender*

First of all, your blanket characterization of "Canucks fans" in general is appalling. I despise people that make broad generalizations of entire fanbases like this.

Second, to have empathy for Bertuzzi is perfectly logical. He has suffered greatly from this and never intended any of it to happen. Does Moore have a case? Obviously. Should Bertuzzi have been vilified the way he was (booed in every arena, cast off as a pariah, the poster boy of a bully, etc.)? No. What he did is what has been drilled into every player since minor hockey. You protect and avenge anyone who dares mess with your star player or goalie. Dave Semenko was employed specifically to carry out this duty. To walk around with your head in the clouds and ignore this, is to not understand the culture of the game.

You want to blame the culture of the game, fine.....but Bertuzzi was only doing exactly what he was instructed to do since he first put skates on.

John Bender*

Bertuzzi has earned $47 million in his career, and about $29 million since the incident.

I think arguing about remuneration for Moore is a waste of time. It's a legal argument that is beyond the scope of what most of us understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad