Steve Moore ups his damages claim by $30 million

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArtG

Feb 9, 2004
Vancouver, BC
You don't think this had a an affect on Bertuzzi's life? Gotta disagree there. He became an outcast.

If you recall:

On the day of his reinstatement, Team Canada's executive director, Wayne Gretzky, offered Bertuzzi a spot on the national team's summer orientation camp in preparation for the 2006 Winter Olympics. A week later, Bertuzzi broke his 17-month-long public silence by again admitting to his mistake and expressing a desire to move on with his life. He stated, "I'm sure just like Steve Moore and his family, it's been difficult for both parties. I know I wish that day never happened. It's been some tough times, but I've got good family and good friends and good peers in the league that have helped me get over the hump and move forward and come through it."

topheavyhookjaw

Sep 7, 2008
Bertuzzi was vilified for the incident. He was a public outcast. I don't think that is in dispute.

I never said he should be entitled to any compensation. Not once.

All past tense. Which is my point, it passed.

Further, him not knowing how to give an interview, and struggling with the media had a huge impact.

Did a bad thing, people said he did a bad thing. Don't know why we need to feel sorry for him. He can afford a shrink (for now).

LiquidSnake

Jun 10, 2011
Vancouver, BC

Further, him not knowing how to give an interview, and struggling with the media had a huge impact.

Did a bad thing, people said he did a bad thing. Don't know why we need to feel sorry for him. He can afford a shrink (for now).

Perhaps people feel bad for him because it was far from just his fault? But he's clearly the reason it all occurred.

John Bender*

I empathize with him. He became the poster boy for the villain. His reputation was permanently destroyed.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
I, for one, don't see why Moore and his lawyers shouldn't make a disproportionately large claim relative to the circumstances. Their client was a victim of a disproportionately large response relative to the circumstances.

I do love the posters here who take it personally that Moore is asking for money. Bert appreciates your empathy to his situation.

I think you are seeing the same reaction as many overblown lawsuits see. I remember when that person sued McDonalds because their coffee was too hot. It was a topic of conversation for weeks on late night talk shows. I'm sure McDonalds really appreciated Late Night ridiculing that person for their frivolous law suit?

topheavyhookjaw

Sep 7, 2008
Perhaps people feel bad for him because it was far from just his fault? But he's clearly the reason it all occurred.

I feel bad that Burke and Crawford's reputations didn't suffer as much as they should have from that. That's the type of side show they've always loved. Both deserved worse coming out of that.

John Bender*

If you recall:

Publicly he was an outcast. His reputation was permanently destroyed. Those within the game understood what he did and why he did it - as evidenced by my prior posted comments of Paker and Brodeur - and via Gretzky's inclusion of him on the Olympic team.

Those outside the game, those that don't play it, sometime fans.......they never understood it. His public reputation never recovered from it. There is no doubt in my mind his game suffered from this.

I don't think he warrants any compensation - I only feel badly for him.

John Bender*

If you truly believe that statement, then I don't think there's any point continuing this discussion.

I do believe that statement, so..........talk to you some other time.

topheavyhookjaw

Sep 7, 2008
I think you are seeing the same reaction as many overblown lawsuits see. I remember when that person sued McDonalds because their coffee was too hot. It was a topic of conversation for weeks on late night talk shows. I'm sure McDonalds really appreciated Late Night ridiculing that person for their frivolous law suit?

Right, those two lawsuits are totally analogous.

I think it's interesting to see an individual challenge a structure, system, and culture that is generally unfair to most of the individuals in it. The financial structure of the NHL drastically favours owners, and is particularly unfair to the bottom 2/3 of players, especially those expected to take a greater physical beating to remain in the league.

The culture that John Bender keeps referencing is a huge problem, and it leads to situations where players continuously back owners, and the league in accepting that long term major injuries are just part of the deal and they don't deserve compensation for them.

It sucks that Moore's case has come down to simply him vs. Bertuzzi. I would have much rather seen serious action taken against the league, officials, owners etc. But the league has enough resources to protect owners, officials, team employees etc, and chooses to.

The idea that players who suffer career ending injuries, especially head injuries that can impact their quality of life, should just go away and deal with it in private is awful, and I hope it changes.

SnapIt

Feb 19, 2013
An inflated number, so that Bertuzzi will have to meet them somewhere above the middle (or so they hope). Moore will get a fair amount, but I would imagine it being closer to $15-20M.

I wish this saga would just end soon, so long as it does not involve Moore receiving an amount of money that is beyond justified. That would just open up a can of worms.

And where does taxes figure into this compensation scenario?

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
i mean you only need to point to derek engelland for "but i coulda"

"But I coulda" doesn't really matter. It's what he proves (positive evidence) he is likely to have earned in his career.

Same thing would apply to his financial services career. Not sure how much he could prove he would earn.

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
What has Steve Moore been doing as a job? I understand that Steve Moore has not been able to seek employment anywhere close to his high intellect suggests (according to his lawyers), but what employment does he have?

There are doctors trained in other countries that are working in Vancouver as taxi drivers, employment not anywhere close to their high intellect suggests... but they are working, making a living, supporting their families... cause they have to. This is what circumstance has allowed.

Steve Moore must be working somewhere, doing something... Isn't he? He must be contributing to society in some way... My friend's mentally challenged brother (4 year old intellect) has a job. If Steve Moore doesn't have a job, is he too good for them? Too good to drive a taxi? Too good to clean a toilet? Too good to sweep a sidewalk? Did Todd Bertuzzi prevent Steve Moore from getting employment anywhere, from doing anything? Steve Moore must have a job (I'd think)... and if he does, he must be displaying some level of intellect in that job.

I have complete respect for trained doctors working as taxi drivers. If Bertuzzi caused Moore to max out career wise as a toilet cleaner or street sweeper, or taxi driver, despite having a Harvard education, I sympathize, deeply. My complete respect. Steve Moore is doing the best he can, with what he's got. If Moore didn't even try to become a taxi driver, or toilet cleaner, or street sweeper, or mail carrier, because he felt he was too good, it's kind of hard to respect that. Makes me question how hard Steve Moore tried to get back to being a NHL player... Makes me question how self-entitled he sees himself as. When you're seeking that much retribution, I guess, questioning Steve Moore is open game. That's the trade off. He feels he's entitled for that large sum. Bertuzzi's lawyers aren't just going to let him get it. They are going to question him, hard... Fight him, hard, to block it.

Steve Moore's lawyer calls it an insult to suggest Moore could be a farmhand. What's insulting would be if Steve Moore felt he was too good for these type of jobs, contributing to society the best that Todd Bertuzzi's mistake allowed. To suggest otherwise is insulting to doctor-trained taxi drivers. What, couldn't even feed his dog with the salary, as per Mike Modano?

Where exactly has Steve Moore been working? What is the lowest common denominator job Todd Bertuzzi allowed Steve Moore to have?

If I'm Bertuzzi's lawyer, I think I try to nail Steve Moore on this angle. Question his sense of entitlement, and desire to get back to the NHL. Of course, Moore's lawyers will say Steve Moore also suffers from depression preventing him from seeking these types of jobs... depression caused by Todd Bertuzzi / concussion.

Going to be interesting...

mrmyheadhurts

Registered Boozer
Mar 22, 2007
Vancouver
Here's the sad thing with Moore; no amount of money is going to make him feel better about this, nor will ruining Bertuzzi and his family financially. I actually wonder what he'll do when this is all over, this fight could be what motivates him everyday but when it's over, and he realizes it's a fairly hollow victory, where does he go next? I wish there was something positive that came out of all this, but I'm not seeing it. The NHL has washed their hands of it, neither Moore or Bertuzzi have tried to use the incident as a learning tool or as a motivator for any change. It's just going to be sweaty rolls of money exchanged with no real good coming out it at all.

Just a crappy, unlucky, and sad situation for all involved and everyone looks bad for it.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
Here's the sad thing with Moore; no amount of money is going to make him feel better about this, nor will ruining Bertuzzi and his family financially. I actually wonder what he'll do when this is all over, this fight could be what motivates him everyday but when it's over, and he realizes it's a fairly hollow victory, where does he go next? I wish there was something positive that came out of all this, but I'm not seeing it. The NHL has washed their hands of it, neither Moore or Bertuzzi have tried to use the incident as a learning tool or as a motivator for any change. It's just going to be sweaty rolls of money exchanged with no real good coming out it at all.

Just a crappy, unlucky, and sad situation for all involved and everyone looks bad for it.

Yeah, I mean, who would be happy with 10 million dollars, right?

Come on, dude. I think that would certainly make Moore feel a lot better about what happened with his life, and would allow him and his family to move on comfortably. Why should Moore have to use this as a "learning tool" for others? That one is on Bertuzzi and the league.

In a general sense, the sentiments in this thread are deeply embarrassing. I get that people have some allegiance for Bertuzzi and so on, but good grief.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
If you truly believe that statement, then I don't think there's any point continuing this discussion.

I can't think of any other player in the last 15 years who retired after one concussion in their mid-20s without attempting a comeback. That the one instance of a non-comeback would jive so nicely with the one instance of a player potentially making a snotload of money out of having a concussion is very convenient, to say the least.

I'm not condoning what Bertuzzi did. But seeing this scrub ask for $68 million is pretty bloody hilarious. Especially when it's upping his demands from an already ridiculous $38 million.

ArtG

Feb 9, 2004
Vancouver, BC
I can't think of any other player in the last 15 years who retired after one concussion in their mid-20s without attempting a comeback. That the one instance of a non-comeback would jive so nicely with the one instance of a player potentially making a snotload of money out of having a concussion is very convenient, to say the least.

I'm not condoning what Bertuzzi did. But seeing this scrub ask for $68 million is pretty bloody hilarious. Especially when it's upping his demands from an already ridiculous $38 million.
Marc Savard.

That's not even the point. Comparing this particular issue to any other concussion is silly. What happened to him was brutal. You don't think he'd rather be playing in the NHL the last 10 years?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Marc Savard.

That's not even the point. Comparing this particular issue to any other concussion is silly. What happened to him was brutal. You don't think he'd rather be playing in the NHL the last 10 years?

Savard was 34, it was his 2nd major concussion with PCS symptoms, and given his poor level of play before the 2nd concussion he had a team that was very happy to bury his big contract on LTIR.

I don't know what's in Moore's head. But his behavior since the injury has been strange, to say the least. He was already filing lawsuits less than a year later, and once that happened, I think he might have backed himself into a corner in terms of making a comeback or attempting to play again.

damack

Jan 3, 2014
I read somewhere that even Moore's parents were suing for $1.5M because of the stress they endured after watching the incident. Oh my.

LiquidSnake

Jun 10, 2011
Vancouver, BC

He's going to write some lame book. Guaranteed

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
The $68m is about as reasonable as the defence's position that all he'd be qualified to do is be a fry cook with his Harvard degree.

John Bender*

If people don't believe that his lawyers advised him that attempting a comeback would jeopardize his potential payout then they are truly out of touch.

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC
The entire event should have never happened and 2 things particularly stand out 1 the NHL itself should have punished Moore for the first hit it was blindside and dirty 2 why would his coach put him on the ice up 8-1 knowing its in Vancouver and knowing full well Moore was a target .
Those questions both deserve answers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese