Steve Moore ups his damages claim by $30 million

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
Moore’s lawyers have filed documents that increase his financial claims in the case from $38 million to $68 million,*according to the Toronto Star.*Moore is seeking damages after a sucker-punch from Bertuzzi in a March 8, 2004 game between the Canucks and the Colorado Avalanche ended his hockey career; Bertuzzi pled guilty to an assault charge, and his suspension ended up lasting 17 months from the NHL.

Why the increase? The entire basis of the trial is about Moore losing future earnings due to the incident.*From the Toronto Star:

The Canucks and Bertuzzi will argue at trial that estimates Moore would make $35 million during his NHL career are wildly off-base.*Moore’s expert list will include hockey executives who will say that he would have blossomed into a top-six forward.

That much will be subjective. It would have been hard to predict, for instance, that Bertuzzi, demoted to the minors for 13 games during his third NHL season, would go on to earn nearly $50 million from NHL teams.

The Canucks’ lawyer, Alan D’Silva, will also try to cast doubt on Moore’s claim that he could have made as much as $65 million during a career in the financial services industry following his pro hockey career.

Alan D’Silva, the lawyer for the Canucks, will be tasked with proving that Moore wouldn’t have been a success on the ice or, well, in life. According to the Star, D’Silva said an “expert†had assessed that Moore would have likely been “a hoist operator, a farm labourer or a cook in a fast-food restaurant†after his NHL career. Which is obviously the most likely career path for a Harvard graduate ...

The trial is expected to begin in September. Bertuzzi is currently an unrestricted free agent.

To the surprise of absolutely nobody, Steve Moore has almost doubled his desired amount of financial compensation in his lawsuit against former Canuck Todd Bertuzzi. The amount has now reached a staggering $68 million, which consists of pain and suffering, medical bills and loss of salary.

Moore's lawyers are arguing that he would have made this amount over a long career as an eventual top-six forward.

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/n...-million-in-todd-bertuzzi-suit-133149964.html

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
Moore wasn't going to be a Top 6 forward if he played in Florida. The guy was a plug.

Don't let his lawyer hear that.

His next claim might be Moore was going to break out to be next generational superstar and demand $100 million in salary lost.

The Stig

Your hero.
Feb 14, 2013
Maple Ridge B.C.
Don't let his lawyer hear that.

His next claim might be Moore was going to break out to be next generational superstar and demand $100 million in salary lost.

He can get crapped on for all I care. Obviously Bertuzzi should pay, but that amount of money is beyond frivolous.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
He can get crapped on for all I care. Obviously Bertuzzi should pay, but that amount of money is beyond frivolous.

frivolous has a specific legal definition. i dont think it applies here.

if he asked for n million, that's essentially all he can get. common strategy in this situation is to ask for the most they can justify in optimal circumstances, partially to manipulate and partially to cover their bases. i fully guarantee that moore nor his representation expect that full amount.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Rule of thumb: never mess with someone when their parents are high profile lawyers.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
While this may come across as crass, I actually want Moore's entire case thrown out just because he keeps doing this. Horrible injury? Absolutely. But enough is enough. This happened over a decade ago and he's looking for a payday - not that I can blame him, I suppose. Although, at this point, I have to wonder if he will get anything.

As for the whole "what if" scenario regarding his career. I equate this scenario to a small claims award. You get value based on the loss at the time. Prorate it maybe, but his restitution should be no more than the average 3-4th liner, if even that.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
keeps doing what? you think he doesn't want to end this sooner?

dude dedicated like 20 years of his life to getting to where he did and then poof, taken. he deserves pretty much every cent he can justify

i dont think he deserves 60 million because theres no way he can earn that, ****, has bertuzzi even accumulated that much pre-taxes? and he's never not been a top 9 guy, some years paid like a star

also its not like hes running around asking for attention. that it keeps getting thrown around enough to piss you off is entirely unrelated to him

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
While this may come across as crass, I actually want Moore's entire case thrown out just because he keeps doing this. Horrible injury? Absolutely. But enough is enough. This happened over a decade ago and he's looking for a payday - not that I can blame him, I suppose. Although, at this point, I have to wonder if he will get anything.

As for the whole "what if" scenario regarding his career. I equate this scenario to a small claims award. You get value based on the loss at the time. Prorate it maybe, but his restitution should be no more than the average 3-4th liner, if even that.

he deserves to have it blow up in his face like that. I can't imagine too many people would feel bad for him.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
keeps doing what? you think he doesn't want to end this sooner?

dude dedicated like 20 years of his life to getting to where he did and then poof, taken. he deserves pretty much every cent he can justify

i dont think he deserves 60 million because theres no way he can earn that, ****, has bertuzzi even accumulated that much pre-taxes? and he's never not been a top 9 guy, some years paid like a star

Bertuzzi has earned around 50 million throughout his career

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
i think if you're a compassionate human and you try to extract yourself from team allegiance for a sec you should probably come to the conclusion along the lines of "that sucks and i feel bad for him" even if you just want it to be over with, or whatever

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
Bertuzzi has earned around 50 million throughout his career

yeah. that claim will obviously be shredded if/when its awarded.

edit: also lol, come on, no equal comments on the canucks' position essentially being "he would have been a factory worker or unemployed"

farm labourer, lol. gonna start up a piano moving business with ol' jumbo joe?

Blue Suede Shoes

hound dog
May 5, 2012
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the guy played a large role in destroying Naslund's career - that was, after all, the "justice" that Bertuzzi was looking for. I mean, Naslund had injuries that were adding up, which is what happens over a hockey career, so it wasn't all attributable to Moore. But by the same token, Moore had other injuries previously that contributed to his career being ended. Anyone who plays in the NHL for a couple seasons is sure to have encounters with concussions. In fact, they have virtually all had concussions in their years of junior hockey before even reaching the NHL.

So considering that Moore helped destroy someone's career, it's hard for me to have too much sympathy for the guy. Thinking of all the people in the world, he is not the one who deserves 60 million dollars. Or whatever ridiculous amount he wants. That money could be put to better use. Feeding starving people. Or making hockey safer so that these types of things don't happen.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
the dude is a ****heel, yeah. if he flamed out of the league i wouldn't give a ****, but this dude had major damage done to his spine in a poorly executed retaliation. it wasnt a simple concussion that did him in

similarly, i can think that convicts deserve to go to jail without thinking they deserve to be beaten by guards and ***** by other convicts. there's a certain humanity to not wanting every offender violently terminated and what happened to him i think triggers that.

Raincouver

Mar 2, 2014
Moore wasn't going to be a Top 6 forward if he played in Florida. The guy was a plug.

I am a member of Mr. Moore's legal team. Your comments hurt Mr. Moore's feelings. We will be suing you for 18 billion dollars.

*Note. The above comment was intended as a joke. Please don't sue me Steve!

Blue Suede Shoes

hound dog
May 5, 2012
the dude is a ****heel, yeah. if he flamed out of the league i wouldn't give a ****, but this dude had major damage done to his spine in a poorly executed retaliation. it wasnt a simple concussion that did him in

similarly, i can think that convicts deserve to go to jail without thinking they deserve to be beaten by guards and ***** by other convicts. there's a certain humanity to not wanting every offender violently terminated and what happened to him i think triggers that.

I'm going to assume you're against the death penalty :naughty:

I am also btw. And I also believe he deserves some kind of compensation. My quarrel would be with the amount. I think it would be just for him to receive a fraction of that 100 million, and have the vast majority go towards helping other people out. People who aren't Dickens Turds.

Out of curiosity, if a convict did get violently assaulted, would you be in favour of him receiving 60 million dollars?

GCM

Stork
Jun 22, 2010
Moore's not some innocent bystander.

The pile-up could have just as much to do with his injury as the initial hit, it's unclear.

His real life was impacted, fine. An award of something like $10M would be fair. Take the money and move on. There's no way $10M is not more than enough to live off of. What the hell is really the difference between 10 and 68 million in terms of lifestyle? Moore is being greedy.

But fine, go ahead, keep stretching this out. Few more delays and side-trials and the litigants will be dead before the trial finishes. That's how the justice system works these days anyways.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
I'm going to assume you're against the death penalty :naughty:

I am also btw. And I also believe he deserves some kind of compensation. My quarrel would be with the amount. I think it would be just for him to receive a fraction of that 100 million, and have the vast majority go towards helping other people out. People who aren't Dickens Turds.

Out of curiosity, if a convict did get violently assaulted, would you be in favour of him receiving 60 million dollars?

well no of course not. moore shouldnt get that much either. id be blown away and pretty angry if he did

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad