Speculation: status of our D post Deangelo

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
It is not even for voicing his views. It is for a pattern of behavior. No one cared if he was a Republican or a Trump supporter. NO ONE. He is far from the only one in the NHL, let alone the Rangers.

I do not have the details, but his locker room antics not only wore thin in the locker room but also began eroding the environment. If I have a group of friends and we get together every couple of weeks to blow of steam, have some drinks and play cards, it is good for everyone. If one of the group then starts to chirp a bit, it's fine. If the chirping grows, it's fine. If the chirping grows to a point that several in the group approach and tell him to cut it out as it is beginning to cut into their good time, and if he STILL persists, then it is not fine. Then, to top it all off, he provokes someone in the group to a fight. The next time that there is a get together, in the name of overall harmony and the good of the group, he is not invited.

Nothing to do with political beliefs or views. This is America. You have the right bear arms or you have the right to arm bears. Whatever you choose. But when the sanctity of the group becomes endangered, you can either destroy the group or remove whatever the symptom is.

Very well said.

Nail on the head.

Obviously, I don’t know what was going on behind the scenes but I think it was more his overall overbearing personality rather than his politics or life theories. The act wore thin and I’m guessing he became even more outgoing after he was paid and “made it.” It’s too bad, because he was fun to watch and I always respect a guy who will drop the gloves to help a teammate. I was really hoping he’d become the Zubov we held onto.

Last edited:

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Moving forward......to the OP.

W/O Tony, I'm really hoping its NOT a combo of Smith and JJ EVERY DAMNED NIGHT. Please no. Give Bitetto some time or give another kid a chance and see if they can handle it. No one would be expecting anyone to be another k'Andre type entrance, but this is STILL supposed to be a rebuilding (forming the future) type year. Please not those 2. And I still support Smitty.

MadHookUp

Jul 24, 2005
I really like DeAngelo as a player, and was upset when I saw that he was waived. Where I work, we have a single guy who voted for Trump. That guy happens to be my closest friend on our team. But when he starts his rants about Covid hoax, that there were 500,000 peaceful protestors at the Capitol, and they left it cleaner than before they arrived, I just nod my head and go..."yeah... Shame." I don't want to talk about politics with anyone. And regardless of what he believes, I still like him. But it gets incredibly awkward every time he brings up his crazy right wing conspiracies. So you can be well liked, but at the same time, irritate the shit out of all your teammates. When you factor in all the other issues, and having the youngest team in the NHL, do you really want a guy like that in your locker room? Especially when he is the most expendable player on the team? There is a reason the Rangers have been trying to trade him. There is a reason the entire NHL wouldn't take him for free on what many considered a bargain contact when signed.
Edit* Also want to note that Tony got punched for talking shit to Georgie, who has been said to be the nicest, calmest guy. I doubt this was the first time, and even if it was... Do you want a guy on your team that talks so much shit on his teammates that it results in them attacking him?

Last edited:
Reactions: Dirty Sanchez

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
The status of the defense post-DeAngelo is a Smith/Johnson third pair. That's gonna have to change, unless Quinn is willing to ride the other four guys 25 minutes a game.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Moving forward......to the OP.

W/O Tony, I'm really hoping its NOT a combo of Smith and JJ EVERY DAMNED NIGHT. Please no. Give Bitetto some time or give another kid a chance and see if they can handle it. No one would be expecting anyone to be another k'Andre type entrance, but this is STILL supposed to be a rebuilding (forming the future) type year. Please not those 2. And I still support Smitty.

1. Thanks for attempting to return the discussion to OP focus.
2. Obv, roster in this area will be impacted if Deangelo expelled and no RD player returned in trade, or vice versa.
3. Stop jerking Hajek around and give him full blown chance. Want a determination on his status based on merit.
4. Have been pushing to move Smith but bad situation exacerbated by tight cap.
5. JJ was as mistake that somebody did as a favor to our new D coach.
All I can say is that one better have a good reason for such a favor.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
I really like DeAngelo as a player, and was upset when I saw that he was waived. Where I work, we have a single guy who voted for Trump. That guy happens to be my closest friend on our team. But when he starts his rants about Covid hoax, that there were 500,000 peaceful protestors at the Capitol, and they left it cleaner than before they arrived, I just nod my head and go..."yeah... Shame." I don't want to talk about politics with anyone. And regardless of what he believes, I still like him. But it gets incredibly awkward every time he brings up his crazy right wing conspiracies. So you can be well liked, but at the same time, irritate the shit out of all your teammates. When you factor in all the other issues, and having the youngest team in the NHL, do you really want a guy like that in your locker room? Especially when he is the most expendable player on the team? There is a reason the Rangers have been trying to trade him. There is a reason the entire NHL wouldn't take him for free on what many considered a bargain contact when signed.
Edit* Also want to note that Tony got punched for talking shit to Georgie, who has been said to be the nicest, calmest guy. I doubt this was the first time, and even if it was... Do you want a guy on your team that talks so much shit on his teammates that it results in them attacking him?

agree with all you posted.

My issue is why resign the guy then? This is like indecisive Dave Gettleman with OBJ. Resign the guy and then part ways which hurts your cap, etc. Why?

You’re around the guy for long enough to recognize the personality flaw or whatever. Not sure what to do at the deadline, not sure if he should resign him, finally resign him and BOOM, right out of the gate they have to part ways. That indecisive leadership and reeks of Dave Gettleman yet thankfully the Rangers appear to have better youth. This was a Gordon screwup and we’re all hoping something good comes out it.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Obviously, I don’t know what was going on behind the scenes but I think it was more his overall overbearing personality rather than his politics or life theories. The act wore thin and I’m guessing he became even more outgoing after he was paid and “made it.” It’s too bad, because he was fun to watch and I always respect a guy who will drop the gloves to help a teammate. I was really hoping he’d become the Zubov we held onto.
The guy put up the best numbers by a Rangers defenseman since Leetch & Zubov. He stuck up for teammates. He was on his best behavior. Of course we all wanted him and Gorton gave him the money and a few years to show more. What happened? He got his cash and decided that he can go back behaving any way he feels like

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
My issue is why resign the guy then? This is like indecisive Dave Gettleman with OBJ. Resign the guy and then part ways which hurts your cap, etc. Why?
How can it be that you still do not understand this?

You traded for the guy as you recognized his talent. After some tough love, the guy went out and gave you 1.5 years of good behavior, solid teammate and unreal offensive statistics. You then look at your system and see that it is pretty well stocked, but no on in the immediate near term. You want to make the playoffs. So, in examining 1.5 years of being a solid citizen and a great offensive weapon, you make a two year investment into said player. You also figure that if/when you move him in the future, you can get his value even higher considering what he was doing on the ice. Upon receiving his money, the player goes back to the antics which made him be on his third team in two years. The locker room becomes divided. And not divided as some players on one side and some on another; you had DeAngelo and everybody else. Management speaks to him. Coaches speak to him. His own players speak with him. He goes out and mouths off to a ref and then childishly slams the door, earning more penalties. He gets disciplined for it and reacts poorly. The then instigates a fight with one of his teammates. To keep the sanctity of the locker room, you let him go.

What is so hard to understand here? Why would he be resigned over the summer? Because he was a model citizen who at 25 years old, put up the best numbers since Leetch and Zubov. His antics and behavior then became untenable. And he was let go.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
How can it be that you still do not understand this?

You traded for the guy as you recognized his talent. After some tough love, the guy went out and gave you 1.5 years of good behavior, solid teammate and unreal offensive statistics. You then look at your system and see that it is pretty well stocked, but no on in the immediate near term. You want to make the playoffs. So, in examining 1.5 years of being a solid citizen and a great offensive weapon, you make a two year investment into said player. You also figure that if/when you move him in the future, you can get his value even higher considering what he was doing on the ice. Upon receiving his money, the player goes back to the antics which made him be on his third team in two years. The locker room becomes divided. And not divided as some players on one side and some on another; you had DeAngelo and everybody else. Management speaks to him. Coaches speak to him. His own players speak with him. He goes out and mouths off to a ref and then childishly slams the door, earning more penalties. He gets disciplined for it and reacts poorly. The then instigates a fight with one of his teammates. To keep the sanctity of the locker room, you let him go.

What is so hard to understand here? Why would he be resigned over the summer? Because he was a model citizen who at 25 years old, put up the best numbers since Leetch and Zubov. His antics and behavior then became untenable. And he was let go.

just like Dave Gettleman and OBJ. Same thing

MadHookUp

Jul 24, 2005
agree with all you posted.My issue is why resign the guy then? This is like indecisive Dave Gettleman with OBJ. Resign the guy and then part ways which hurts your cap, etc. Why?

Its been reported the Rangers tried to trade him for a year plus. If you can ignore all the baggage that comes with DeAngelo, teams would be fighting and clawing for a right handed defenseman at his age and cap hit. I would bet that Gorton figured that if he could replicate last season, his stock would rise enough that they could actually trade him for another asset. And I don't blame him, I would have done the same. Could you imagine the reaction people would have if he just let DeAngelo walk for nothing after the season he just had? I just don't blame Gorton one bit for any of this. No one, including everyone on this board, would have predicted this would happen. The guy just has too many issues to deal with. There were articles written before the season started where DeAngelo was quoted as saying that he doesn't understand why people think he is bad defensively. He thinks he is great defensively. His reality whether it be hockey or politics, is clearly different than the rest of the world. When a goal is scored while he was on the ice, someone else was to blame, and he clearly has no hesitation to let his teammates know. And regardless if you are on the left or the right, I think we can all agree that the type of people that have strong political opinions are also the type of people that NEVER shut up about it. Take the politics out of it. Pretend that DeAngelo is a flat earther. How many of his flat earth rants would it take before you eventually snap?

Reactions: NYRFANMANI

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
No, OBJ was always a douche bag and always behaved as such. After tough love DeAngelo was just fine for a year and a half. Two completely different situations.

no, obj was on his best behavior. Signed him and he was gone, no different than ADA. Anybody who makes a hire and the person is gone this fast the hiring manager gets looked at. Gordon doesn’t get a pass.

Thankfully the contract as short less than $5 million annually. I’m sure Gordon recognized the pipeline and future budget.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
no, obj was on his best behavior. Signed him and he was gone, no different than ADA. Anybody who makes a hire and the person is gone this fast the hiring manager gets looked at. Gordon doesn’t get a pass.

Thankfully the contract as short less than $5 million annually. I’m sure Gordon recognized the pipeline and future budget.
He was nowhere on his best behavior. The rumors about not signing him were already about. He was a crap teammate and an idiot to boot.

Reactions: Barnaby

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
Anyone blaming this situation on a person not named Tony Deangelo is being silly. No coach or GM is going to get rid of a 60 point RD, regardless of how awful they started the year, without good reason. They're only putting their own jobs at risk. He was on his best behavior last year and Quinn and Gorton had no issue with him, but he is what he is and another episode was only a matter of time. If it didn't happen now, it was going to happen at some point during the season. People tried to speak to him and he wasn't having it. Sucks but he made his bed.

Reactions: haveandare

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Oh, if only all of us could have your crystal ball and play GM

the cap is well documented as are the upcoming Ranger prospects so no crystal ball needed. I would recommend a math class since your 6 year at $6 million is another demonstration you struggle understanding the cap, etc.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
the cap is well documented as are the upcoming Ranger prospects so no crystal ball needed. I would recommend a math class since your 6 year at $6 million is another demonstration you struggle understanding the cap, etc.
You are talking about DeAngelo? Who knew that there would be a flat cap? Who knew that Lundqvist was going to take such steps forward? Who knew that they were going to be able to trade up for Schnieder?

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Perhaps the timeline would be helpful in understanding why the Rangers signed him.

Back in the off-season,

Rangers either qualified ADA or he became a UFA. They qualified him as any team would have.

Once qualified the player can choose to elect arbitration or not.

ADA elected arbitration.

If a player elects arbitration the team can then elect whether an award would be for one or two years (two years if said player has at least two RFA year remaining which ADA did)

From that point on he was all but guaranteed to get at least a one year contract even if it was awarded through arbitration. (the only way he would not get a one year deal was if his award came in under the salary threshold of $4,538,958 and the Rangers walked away thus making him a UFA)

My question would be more along the lines of why did they go two years instead of one? That was the Rangers choice to even offer two years. I assume at that point the Rangers believed they could still work with ADA, while they also worked on trading him, yet that seems to have backfired spectacularly.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
You are talking about DeAngelo? Who knew that there would be a flat cap? Who knew that Lundqvist was going to take such steps forward? Who knew that they were going to be able to trade up for Schnieder?

All you needed was a google search to see who the prospects are, the contracts and cap, etc is available. Even without a flat cap there are plenty of prospects, veterans to be paid and others which were signed. No crystal ball needed despite proposing $36 million for ADA. Not to mention being adamant and defending your position as if you had a crystal ball. Go figure

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad