Speculation: status of our D post Deangelo

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
My question would be more along the lines of why did they go two years instead of one? That was the Rangers choice to even offer two years. I assume at that point the Rangers believed they could still work with ADA, while they also worked on trading him, yet that seems to have backfired spectacularly.

Bravo Yes - and for Strome too. One year for arbitration.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
All you needed was a google search to see who the prospects are, the contracts and cap, etc is available. Even without a flat cap there are plenty of prospects, veterans to be paid and others which were signed. No crystal ball needed despite proposing $36 million for ADA. Not to mention being adamant and defending your position as if you had a crystal ball. Go figure
You knew that Lundqvist was going to continue to take steps forward in the future and that in the future the Rangers were going to trade up for Schneider with the help of google search? Must be some search engine.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
You knew that Lundqvist was going to continue to take steps forward in the future and that in the future the Rangers were going to trade up for Schneider with the help of google search? Must be some search engine.

6 year for $6 million. At least your math and contract proposals are all consistent.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Bravo Yes - and for Strome too. One year for arbitration.
Strome was a little different, he had only one RFA year left, so if they went one year he would have become a UFA after that year. The Rangers actually bought a UFA year from Strome. I would not have, yet at least there I can sort of understand why they did so as at worst he'd just not be very good.

Reactions: NYSPORTS

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
It's a gamble. two years = exposable in expansion draft and if they play well, you have a tradeable chip instead of a UFA.

i agree.

certainly better than long term. Regarding ADA though, smh. Resign a contract and, in game where the whole team appeared lost, he slams a door and has to sit. Smh

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Ball and crystal

So you weren’t aware or the cap, the current contracts, the prospects and were the blindsided by the additions from this thing call a draft. I see, explains it. Well, at least you have that hindsight card to play and while adamantly dismissing the foresight others have.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
So you weren’t aware or the cap, the current contracts, the prospects and were the blindsided by the additions from this thing call a draft. I see, explains it. Well, at least you have that hindsight card to play and while adamantly dismissing the foresight others have.
I see that magic google search engine is working well for you.

Judging things by what you know today, as opposed to the factors that existed then is about as dumb as it gets.

And btw, very nice way to pivot from your original argument that Gorton should have not signed him as he should have know that he would release him.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
I see that magic google search engine is working well for you.

Judging things by what you know today, as opposed to the factors that existed then is about as dumb as it gets.

And btw, very nice way to pivot from your original argument that Gorton should have not signed him as he should have know that he would release him.

“I would absolutely lock him up for 6 x $6.” lol. Many were against that length due to the cap. Hardly a pivot while you were adamant about it.

Regarding Gordon, you can’t make these mistakes which i have not pivoted off of. One game into a new contract the kid gets benched for slamming a door in game in which the whole team looked lost. Haven’t changed my position. Give it try someday

Last edited:
Reactions: NYR

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
The Rangers were signing DeAngelo for at least a year pretty much no matter what unless he was traded before signing somewhere else.

That said, why they signed him for 2 instead of just 1 year I do not understand.

At the time it did not even really make any sense.

Expansion, he was either going to be too good to expose or too bad (on ice or off) for Seattle to take him. Rangers have or could have plenty of other D to expose who will meet the requirements.

One year would have left him with 2 RFA years instead of 1 at contracts end. This is like the best negotiating place a team can be in. Team can just do another 1 year, or can try to buy UFA year(s) and get a discount on overall cap hit by having multiple RFA years including in the total contract.

Flat cap, it's not like this off-season would have seen DeAngelo get a ton more even if this did not happen.

If something like this did happen, and let's not forget the Rangers have scratched DeAngelo in the past for "stuff" not necessarily related to on ice stuff, the Rangers would not be on the hook for another year, and no trading team would be either. Plus there would be no buy out.

Maybe I am missing something yet I never understood why they went two years with DeAngelo and that is not just hindsight related. All off-season long I was in the camp that thought one year deals for all the RFAs made more sense than two year deals.

I can understand the Strome deal given position, 1 UFA year at a relatively small cap hit, still not a big fan of that 2nd year but okay I get it.

Geo too can understand given position and smallish cap hit, yet again not a huge fan of the 2nd year.

Lemieux I do not really see the upside to two years but again small cap hit, okay.

Yet for DeAngelo two years at this cap hit never made any sense to me. All they were doing even if everything went well was putting themselves into a no win situation with DeAngelo sitting there one year away from UFA saying something like, nope not going to sign away any of those UFA years unless you pay UFA prices for not only those years but my last RFA year too.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
i agree.

certainly better than long term. Regarding ADA though, smh. Resign a contract and, in game where the whole team appeared lost, he slams a door and has to sit. Smh
It's really tangential but the presence of Jack Johnson really set the table for Martin to scratch ADA. ADA needed to step up but I was shocked he got scratched for two games. If I was him I would have been mad too but clearly he did not handle the situation like a professional and that is entirely on him.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Regarding Gordon, you can’t make these mistakes which i have not pivoted off of. One game into a new contract the kid gets benched for slamming a door in game in which the whole team looked lost. Haven’t changed my position. Give it try someday
Going from "Gorton should have never resigned him if he was just going to cut him" t0 discussing what he should and should not have been signed for is exactly that. A pivot. You should actually try to stick to what is being debated. By yourself none the less.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
It's really tangential but the presence of Jack Johnson really set the table for Martin to scratch ADA. ADA needed to step up but I was shocked he got scratched for two games. If I was him I would have been mad too but clearly he did not handle the situation like a professional and that is entirely on him.

eh, slammed a door. Big deal.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Going from "Gorton should have never resigned him if he was just going to cut him" t0 discussing what he should and should not have been signed for is exactly that. A pivot. You should actually try to stick to what is being debated. By yourself none the less.

Nonsense lol.

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
Here is the bottom line. ADA has a lot of baggage. I for one as a fan didn't appreciate having to constantly walk on eggshells that became the fine line between his talent with the puck and the potential time-bomb ticking inside him that is a deadly combination of a bad attitude and immaturity. I am sure the Rangers management in particular Quinn felt the same way. Quinn doesn't like the kid for a variety of reasons and kept complaining to Groton. When Miller showed he could play, ADA became expendable. Quinn and Groton gave ADA enough rope to hang himself.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Here is the bottom line. ADA has a lot of baggage. I for one as a fan didn't appreciate having to constantly walk on eggshells that became the fine line between his talent with the puck and the potential time-bomb ticking inside him that is a deadly combination of a bad attitude and immaturity. I am sure the Rangers management in particular Quinn felt the same way. Quinn doesn't like the kid for a variety of reasons and kept complaining to Groton. When Miller showed he could play, ADA became expendable. Quinn and Groton gave ADA enough rope to hang himself.

One of the negatives about Tony is he's too much a one way defenseman. He's not a guy you can use on the penalty kill and he's not someone you want on the ice at the same time as Ovechkin, Matthews or Crosby. When Miller showed he could defend and also had the skills to move the puck up the ice of course he went into the top 4.

This is not to dog on DeAngelo the player because he is a guy who can run a power play and in the right situation he's shown he can put up a lot of offense. Still if we're being honest about him as a player--he is kind of weak and undersized physically and his defensive issues negate at least to a good degree his offensive talent.

Our third pair this year (with or without him) has been bleeding a lot of goals this year.

As far as expendability--in my eyes he was already heading that way even before we signed him. I expect Nils Lundkvist to be an improvement on him as soon as next year and when the Rangers drafted Braden Schneider that again spelled his days as a Rangers were limited.

I don't think there was really much baggage with him last year. But this year--yeah. The way the political situation deteriorated in this country in the last several months seems to have had a great effect on him and that's too bad. End of the day a healthy person finds a way to separate shit like that from the thing he/she does for a living and judging by Edge's explanation Tony wasn't able to and he became a distraction for the rest of the team. For me though he wasn't as good as some people thought. Points aren't everything. I like my defensemen to be able to defend.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
do you mean the extra penalty he got for arguing with the refs? because I thought that was BS. I'd feel betrayed if my coach didn't stick up for me there.

the whole 1st game was a mess.

Daves a mess

Jan 8, 2014
Tony and K'Andre still follow each other on IG.
Tony also follows Pavel Zacha, Anthony Duclair and Boo Nieves.
And TONS of hot woman.

Does Georgie, Kreids or Trouba have an IG acct? Don't see their names lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: Buchnevich89

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad