Speculation: status of our D post Deangelo

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
The days of Mike Mottau or Thomas Kloucek as our top defensive prospects are seemingly in the past.
Let's not disgrace Kloucek wth Mottau. One's career was cut short by injury. One was just not good.

But yes, agree with the macro point that you are making.

Reactions: smoneil

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Having free speech means he is not being thrown in jail for what he says (which last I checked, he is not). The constitution does not govern private businesses. You have the right to say whatever you want and your employer 100% has the right to fire you for saying dumb shit - especially if it's within the workplace premises (and this happens rather often).
It is not even for voicing his views. It is for a pattern of behavior. No one cared if he was a Republican or a Trump supporter. NO ONE. He is far from the only one in the NHL, let alone the Rangers.

I do not have the details, but his locker room antics not only wore thin in the locker room but also began eroding the environment. If I have a group of friends and we get together every couple of weeks to blow of steam, have some drinks and play cards, it is good for everyone. If one of the group then starts to chirp a bit, it's fine. If the chirping grows, it's fine. If the chirping grows to a point that several in the group approach and tell him to cut it out as it is beginning to cut into their good time, and if he STILL persists, then it is not fine. Then, to top it all off, he provokes someone in the group to a fight. The next time that there is a get together, in the name of overall harmony and the good of the group, he is not invited.

Nothing to do with political beliefs or views. This is America. You have the right bear arms or you have the right to arm bears. Whatever you choose. But when the sanctity of the group becomes endangered, you can either destroy the group or remove whatever the symptom is.

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
Let's not disgrace Kloucek wth Mottau. One's career was cut short by injury. One was just not good.

But yes, agree with the macro point that you are making.

I almost hesitated for that very reason (and I really liked Kloucek), but left the name in there because, even pre-injury, Kloucek wouldn't be among our current top 5 prospects on D.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I almost hesitated for that very reason (and I really liked Kloucek), but left the name in there because, even pre-injury, Kloucek wouldn't be among our current top 5 prospects on D.
He actually reminds me a lot of Khlevan.

I would say that while he may not have been in the top-5 (and let's pro-rate his game to today), he would have had a spot because he was such force. I will say that I have NEVER seen another Ranger defenseman was was such a lethal hitter. Klou literally was as mean as it gets and hit everything that moved. In the little time that he was healthy, you did not want to be an opposing forward when he was on the ice.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Defending myself is one of my skills!
Not one of mine, I defend others better. Should have been a public defender. Lol.

If I were to agree with any post "anti-Tony" it would @HatTrickSwayze. 10 mil, not bad for 10 games. He KNEW it was coming, bet on it.

Everyone KNOWS Georgiev is softspoken, right?
Everyone KNOWS Tony has a smart mouth and temper, right?

Would everyone agree that it was probably Tony that initiated the "would be" altercation by saying something like.....
"What were you thinking knucklehead?"

Georgiev probably said something like "go F... yourself, you're playing like shit as well"

Tony wouldnt sit for that, and the fists were a flying.

So, why was Tony the only one reprimanded?
Because Georgiev had a zero past history. Period. He wqs EXCUSED, Tony was not. Thats a fact, YOU CANNOT fight with yourself and get yourself suspended nor fired. Someone else is there. Go ahead, tell me that's NOT a fact.

Also, maybe.....just maybe it would be very bad "international press" if the same or similar were executed with an almost equal party? (Eg: Georgiev)

Tony was not on his "best behavior", and that's on him.
Can't imagine for ONE SECOND that Georgiev is INNOCENT of inciting this altercation.

I am all about the name in FRONT of the Jersey, not the back.
I (of course) don't want anyone hurting the growth of our younger players, and if that was becoming the case, then I guess this is what was needed. Funny though, reports WERE, that he was LOVED by his teammates. Hmmmmmm.

On the fence about this a bit, BUT, definately NOT happy about in which this manner was handled. Handled very poorly and when I smell a rat, I smell a rat.

Again, I feel that it was a case of a complete 360° on the thinking about what's ON the ice, and using the EXCUSE as to what was going on OFF the ice. They simply wanted him gone, and Tony made it easy for them. Ugggh.

I am thinking MUCH LESS of the team I support. Hipocrites the lot of them.

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas

I would say that while he may not have been in the top-5 (and let's pro-rate his game to today), he would have had a spot because he was such force. I will say that I have NEVER seen another Ranger defenseman was was such a lethal hitter. Klou literally was as mean as it gets and hit everything that moved. In the little time that he was healthy, you did not want to be an opposing forward when he was on the ice.

Definitely. He came in when the D had that reputation of being soft (Berard, Poti, Lefebvre, Jonsson, Leetch--to the extent that he wasn't a big hitter at that point in his career) OR pure goon (Pilon, Purinton, Karpa). Kloucek had some skill and could take a regular shift while being almost as nasty as the goon guys. The fact that a guy like that would be flying under the radar right now has me incredibly excited about the future of this blueline.

Reactions: bernmeister

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
this last confrontation by tony with geo was the last straw for him- he gave them an easy out. but i wish i could say that this organization did the right thing. they did not.

you could suspend him. you could demote him or your could bench him. there were options.

this is one of your most talented hockey players. have there not been many instances of fighting in practice or after games, anyone ever heard of the NFL ? happens all the time. those guys are still in the league.

voynov ? he beat his wife. this isnt that. at all.

they made an example out of him same as quinns been doing for 2 years. this is and was personal. period.

the news conference was a sham. theres way more to this story, it is certainly about tonys politics and his vocal beliefs. the culture right now is to cancel everyone with dissenting viewpoints and aggressively pursue them to punish them. this is the cancel culture. this is our society today and this feels similar in so many ways. gorton isnt being sincere nor is jd. they are protecting quinn.

people like Tony who have this view of the world are not allowed to have those views. they are to be silenced and in this case, eliminated.

done and done.

his behavior in juniors ? past and over. he has NOT ever repeated that behavior. "abuse of officials" really ? he pushed the ref. ? again, happens and has happened before. in all sports. emotions and adrenaline. happens.

and lastly, the whole benching thing over slamming the door after a weak ass call in a blow out game was weak. i mean the was over the top weak. his reaction to the benching wasnt proper or professional so thats on tony.

he hasnt been playing that well this season ? um, check the teams record. who has ? and he was dragging around jack johnson and brendan smith. yet he was guilty of playing bad. plus minus is never brought up but its in every article written about tony. every one.

so may things seem off in this whole deal.

no one is disputing his politics. hes vocal and has conviction that his country is on the wrong track. he should have kept his mouth shut. he didnt. thats on him. no place for that in the locker room.

Georgie- whos been playing like dog shit btw, misplayed that puck and it ended up in the net. tony should not have said anything to him in the heat of the moment nor thrown a punch. emotions happen. but tonys job is to play hockey and that mistake didnt help tonys cause at all given his precarious spot on the roster. its not what you say, its how you say it. tony had a right to call him out, but timing matters. and poor reactions matter more.

the puck stealing thing. bogus
the fighting with kreider. bogus.
the stuff about him and miller not getting along. bogus.

kid was well liked. by all. he was outspoken and charismatic. he was featured in a bunch of off ice features last season (when paying well) and was "miked up" at practice to show his smart ass attitude and edge. THIS IS NYC people. he was being a NYK'er. he was OK then..... what changed?

david quinn. it was personal.

the fact that all this is being written and created tells me the narrative to destroy this guy goes beyond hockey. it goes to who he is and what he believes and how this plays in NYC and on a team so vanilla and bland and thin skinned that it could sacrifice one of its best players but who happens to be one of the "worst people" (when run thru the filter of a PC/woke organization.) when judges by what he believes and says on social media.

sad end. its on tony for being dumb. its on quinn for the bogus benching and example making and poking the bear until it attacked.

in the end its tony fault for being dumb. i feel awful for his career. im embarrassed for this organization.

Quinn must go.

Quinn should go. Agreed.

But f*** Tony. He can get f***ing lost as well.

Reactions: Nickmo82 and Mandar

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Not one of mine, I defend others better. Should have been a public defender. Lol.

If I were to agree with any post "anti-Tony" it would @HatTrickSwayze. 10 mil, not bad for 10 games. He KNEW it was coming, bet on it.

Everyone KNOWS Georgiev is softspoken, right?
Everyone KNOWS Tony has a smart mouth and temper, right?

Would everyone agree that it was probably Tony that initiated the "would be" altercation by saying something like.....
"What were you thinking knucklehead?"

Georgiev probably said something like "go F... yourself, you're playing like shit as well"

Because Georgiev had a zero past history. Period. He wqs EXCUSED, Tony was not. Thats a fact, YOU CANNOT fight with yourself and get yourself suspended nor fired. Someone else is there. Go ahead, tell me that's NOT a fact.

Also, maybe.....just maybe it would be very bad "international press" if the same or similar were executed with an almost equal party? (Eg: Georgiev)

Tony was not on his "best behavior", and that's on him.
Can't imagine for ONE SECOND that Georgiev is INNOCENT of inciting this altercation.

I am all about the name in FRONT of the Jersey, not the back.
I (of course) don't want anyone hurting the growth of our younger players, and if that was becoming the case, then I guess this is what was needed. Funny though, reports WERE, that he was LOVED by his teammates. Hmmmmmm.

On the fence about this a bit, BUT, definately NOT happy about in which this manner was handled. Handled very poorly and when I smell a rat, I smell a rat.

Again, I feel that it was a case of a complete 360° on the thinking about what's ON the ice, and using the EXCUSE as to what was going on OFF the ice. They simply wanted him gone, and Tony made it easy for them. Ugggh.

I am thinking MUCH LESS of the team I support. Hipocrites the lot of them.

Maybe Tony should be less of an asshole and he’d get a longer leash.

Knowing him, though, he’d just hang himself from a higher point.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Alright, imma say it.

The excuses, cringy whining, deflective and essay long "i'm not defending ADA, but you actually are" posts keep coming.

Can we close this thread up? It's just another roster building thread clone anyway.

It's turned into a gripefest, not roster build clone.

I'm waiting to hear more about Hajek and the kids...

Mandar

The Real Maven
Sep 27, 2013
The Tarheel State
correct. its rewriting history after the fact. damage control.

he was offered a 2 year deal for 10 mil. if hes so bad, cut him. cut the cancer out. they didnt. i call bs.

his politics IS the issue and his mouth IS the issue. free country right ? he has the right to speak his mind. right ? or did they revoke the constitution ?

hes dumb. hes emotional. hes mouthy and hes from jersey. he isnt killing puppies.

and lets make list of all the rhode scholars that play nhl hockey. waiting....

his timing was bad. his politics were unpopular and his viewpoints on current events made people uncomfortable - ESPECIALLY in the media -who surprisingly have attacked him and have not hidden the collective glee that he has been dismissed.

quinn is the culprit here along with tonys poor reaction to the benching and geos poor play. benching tony for nothing is what started this mess. nothing more.
Yep....it was definitely Quinn. Quinn with the candlestick in the den.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
Having free speech means he is not being thrown in jail for what he says (which last I checked, he is not). The constitution does not govern private businesses. You have the right to say whatever you want and your employer 100% has the right to fire you for saying dumb shit - especially if it's within the workplace premises (and this happens rather often). I'm not sure if you're American or not, but this is something you should really take the time to learn. If you're American, I stress this even further since you might believe you're protected by the Constitution at work, when in actuality you are not.
Additionally there is this thing called Libel. You can literally get thrown into jail for saying stuff. There's also the FIRE in the theater rule. People see "free speech" and think it's "unrestricted free speech" when it is in fact "restricted free speech" just like RFAs are not UFAs.

Reactions: bernmeister

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Additionally there is this thing called Libel. You can literally get thrown into jail for saying stuff. There's also the FIRE in the theater rule. People see "free speech" and think it's "unrestricted free speech" when it is in fact "restricted free speech" just like RFAs are not UFAs.
Let's relax here a bit, ok? There is NOTHING in what DeAngelo has said that would lead ANYONE to come a term like libel.

And freedom of speech implies exactly that. But when certain variances of speech look to break apart the business unit, your employer has the absolute right to remove the variant from the community.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

I loved Kloucek.

Reactions: mrhockey193195

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site

baseless speculation. what are you, HFQanon? What happened to ADA was equivalent to your employer given you a reprimand and placing you on probation and giving you a PIP. him messing up = getting fired. It's possible Georgiev got a warning.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
Let's relax here a bit, ok? There is NOTHING in what DeAngelo has said that would lead ANYONE to come a term like libel.

And freedom of speech implies exactly that. But when certain variances of speech look to break apart the business unit, your employer has the absolute right to remove the variant from the community.
Let's relax here a bit, ok? I think we are in agreement.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad