Speculation: status of our D post Deangelo

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
It is not clear if we can get out of ADA contract.
It is unlikely we can unload him, even fully retained for a conditional 7th.

I believe the Rangers, even if it turns out he does have to get paid, can be banished from the team. Like don't even both showing up. Here or Hartford.

So with an eye to moving forward, how will the rest of the D shape up until Nils L gets here?

JJ should not have been signed, that was a favor, and we can't wait to move on from Smith.
I'd like to see Hajek/Reunanen get an equal, real shot.
Barring injury I expect we can get by w/the above 2 and Robertson as a contingency.

If we do need an actual RD in the meantime until Lils L is here, and Raddysh can't cut it, maybe Juulsen cheap from FL as a stopgap?

pls let's not give that gutless lowlife whose name should not be mentioned again another minute of our time.
pls let's focus on quo vadis, or to quote I believe Cliff Richard:
And where do we go from here?
Which is the way that's clear?
Still looking for that blue jean etc etc

... rock on...

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
... I'd like to see Hajek/Reunanen get an equal, real shot.
Barring injury I expect we can get by w/the above 2 and Robertson as a contingency....

find out what Bitetto, Hajek, Reunanen can do
even if needed try Crawley or Raddysh

if needed, grab a guy off waivers,
or sign an unsigned guy like Pitt did w Webber last week
Browse - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

one more lottery pick off-season is ok by me,
kids are improving at all levels, NYR have tough Cap situation this year and the Seattle Exp Draft on the horizon

don't make short-term moves
Dunn could now be protected w spot NYR might used for ADA, but please don't pay a first
or another young but proven guy like a Weegar (just an example)

Last edited:
Reactions: Daves a mess

Sayba

Dark Schneider
Jul 7, 2009
Trouba will be here for another 6 years. No way to get rid of that contract.

He can be bought out, i think we all know it will eventually happen. He isn't a bad player but he isn't a 8 million player.

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
If they are going to play Smith and Bitetto, shouldn’t they just send Hajek to Hartford?

At least pretend you still feel he’s a prospect that needs to be playing games.

Captain Monglobster

Nov 9, 2005
We might end up being pleasantly surprised by Bitetto. I mean he cant be worse than the other two options and plays with an edge at least.

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
Lundkvist becomes our RD3 next year. Schneider replaces Trouba in a couple of years.

He becomes our 3rd RD whenever he gets released by Lulea & Sweden this year, if the Rangers are somehow still playing hockey at that point.

I think Bitetto gets a short stint to become expansion draft eligible then they give Hajek an opportunity.

Reactions: Ruggs225 and Kendo

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Well we’ve got a top 4 for a long time as far as I’m concerned so worrying about the third pair is the least of our problems. Frankly it’s probably better to have just solid guys you can trust on that pairing as opposed to having a high risk high reward guy like DeAngelo there.

If I’m talking a third pair for the foreseeable future I’d love to see Robertson Schneider there. Just two smothering big guys that can skate. I think they’ll be there soon.

would not be surprised to see a pairing of Johnson Smith mostly the rest of this season though

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
Well we’ve got a top 4 for a long time as far as I’m concerned so worrying about the third pair is the least of our problems. Frankly it’s probably better to have just solid guys you can trust on that pairing as opposed to having a high risk high reward guy like DeAngelo there.

If I’m talking a third pair for the foreseeable future I’d love to see Robertson Schneider there. Just two smothering big guys that can skate. I think they’ll be there soon.

would not be surprised to see a pairing of Johnson Smith mostly the rest of this season though
Jones-Lundkvist is just as enticing. Obviously the sexier of the pairings. Roberston-Schneider is the more steady and probably harder to play against of our 4 top d prospects but their ceiling seems lower. Probably better for our long term cap.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Jones-Lundkvist is just as enticing. Obviously the sexier of the pairings. Roberston-Schneider is the more steady and probably harder to play against of our 4 top d prospects but their ceiling seems lower. Probably better for our long term cap.

I’m not crazy about having two guys that don’t defend all that well as their bread and butter on my third pair frankly. I just need my third pair not to get scored on. My top pairings should be doing the heavy lifting.

And as you mentioned they fit cap wise behind the high earners

darko

Feb 16, 2009
He can be bought out, i think we all know it will eventually happen. He isn't a bad player but he isn't a 8 million player.

He never should've been signed in first place.

Ken Lund

Feb 23, 2019
With Tony, can't they put him on the taxi squad for this year with no cap hit? And a buyout in June costs less than $400,000 next year, and less than $900,000 the second year.

ElLeetch

Mar 28, 2018
He never should've been signed in first place.

Easy to say that now, but this was before we knew what we had in Miller/Fox/Lindgren.

When we traded for him, he was a 24 year old stud, and we were dealing with the shells of Smith, Staal, and Shatty. Trouba was the light at the end of the tunnel for this team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad